$999.00 PC that you can't install an alternative browser by default!?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I too would upgrade to Pro, as I will be in graduate school in a few years and will need modeling software. I also need to download compilers and code editor programs to continue with my programming hobby. Although, this laptop seems rather expensive for being so restrictive in terms of software, especially after the first year when you can't even upgrade to pro for free.

Half-Decent Gaming

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by machapman
I can't see any individual getting this laptop sticking with W10S. It would only happen if a school bought them for its pupils. Everyone else would go for W10 Pro - it's a no-brainer.

For students who just need basic apps (pdf reader, Office, Skype, Facebook, Messenger, Photoshop, video editor, etc) there really isn't that compelling a reason to upgrade. While there are some store apps that don't work as well as Win 32 counterparts, they are catching up fairly well.

Also it will definitely help novice users (probably the majority of people who will buy this laptop) keep their system running well for four or more years, since installing apps from the store makes it far easier to maintain everything.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
For students who just need basic apps (pdf reader, Office, Skype, Facebook, Messenger, Photoshop, video editor, etc) there really isn't that compelling a reason to upgrade. While there are some store apps that don't work as well as Win 32 counterparts, they are catching up fairly well.

hey there. i agree with your statement. furthermore, with additions like itunes and spotify and more to come, the reason to upgrade to windows 10 pro becomes smaller and smaller.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If google doesn't bring a chrome browser to the windows store given this release of windows s, they are officially stupid (their primary income stream is google search, and this will clearly be use by young people who can be imprinted with 'bing and edge' instead).

That said, edge browser is great (better imo). I don't anything else now, the other UI's are clunky, and the other browsers slow to initialize.

Me, I'd definitely go pro though, with this laptop. While I use plenty of store apps, I also use loads of things that haven't modernized their apps yet.

hello. although i dont use "loads of things" not in the store, there unfortunately is 1 app i need for work that the company that made the software directly told me will not be offering as a uwp yet. i really want to keep windows 10 s for the battery life and security, however if i do buy the surface laptop this year, upgrading to windows 10 pro will be on my list of things to do.

also regarding your google chrome statement: according to zdnet here Google Chrome won't be allowed on Windows 10 S | ZDNet google chrome may not be coming to the windows store.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand Microsoft's intention with Windows 10 S, but yeah, I hear yah. It makes zero sense to pair it with the Surface Laptop. College STEM students, which they talked a lot about during the presentation, need access to win32 programs. I think Microsoft messed up this aspect of the product.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
hello. although i dont use "loads of things" not in the store, there unfortunately is 1 app i need for work that the company that made the software directly told me will not be offering as a uwp yet. i really want to keep windows 10 s for the battery life and security, however if i do buy the surface laptop this year, upgrading to windows 10 pro will be on my list of things to do.

also regarding your google chrome statement: according to zdnet here Google Chrome won't be allowed on Windows 10 S | ZDNet google chrome may not be coming to the windows store.

Browsers in the store need to be edge rendering compatible. Chrome made a ios rendering engine compatible version of their browser for apple products, so they could do the same thing. There is a monument browser and also UC browser in the store already.

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I would upgrade to pro, until developers come up and bring their modern version app to the store. I see the uwp is the future of win32.

bdbch

May 21, 2017
Visit site
@sibailey1

Try talking to the developers (on Github for example), that really helps. I got the ShareX developer to move the app to Windows Store. He's still optimizing his app though.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
@sibailey1

Try talking to the developers (on Github for example), that really helps. I got the ShareX developer to move the app to Windows Store. He's still optimizing his app though.

Yeah if you find an app you want in the store, you should email the devs. They won't always say yes, but it helps.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I would give 10 S a chance first. Maybe liken it to cord cutting? See what programs you need that are available in the store, give yourself a test run working just through the store and see how you like it. If Apple can bring itunes to the store, then the possibilities are very promising about the store being more viable. Rubino and company have been touching on centennial and how store is critical to Windows success -- mobile or otherwise. But I'm doing my masters online and, while my i5/4GB pro 4 has been a stalwart companion machine, I've been finding its performance struggle with the new demands I've been playing on it. And most programs i need are in the store anyway, otherwise im doing schoolwork through edge. I'd give 10 S a shot!

Tim Bierbaum

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Look at Google, they only allow chrome. So I don't see the problem and you have good alternative browser at the store so you have the option to change the browser or when you want using chrome or Firefox upgrade to windows 10 pro. I think you have enough options.

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site
I find edge to be great. The major problem for me is the Bing as default search engine. If I was in USA I would use it, but in my country (Greece) and a lot of other countries also, isn't useful.

uburz

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
If I order a Surface Laptop, I'd keep it with Windows 10 S as long as I do not use it for work purposes.
I'm fine with Edge, and I'd definitely never install Steam on such a machine. In fact, I'm still happy with my Windows RT for personal entertainment.
But... I'll probably upgrade to Pro anyway before the free offer ends... just in case...

uburz

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Bing is pretty bad in my country too (Italy), but nothing will stop you to navigate to Google (or other search engine) web site and use it instead, even while keeping Bing as default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes