Hi all,

Surface Laptop seems like an incredible laptop. But I see one issue, by default with Windows 10 S, you can't have Firefox, Google Chrome, ...

Most of the time I use Edge but some websites are not working properly with it and I need to switch to another browser.

If you order a Surface Laptop, would you keep Windows 10 S or upgrade to Pro?
    For me, I would upgrade to Pro because of that browser issue. What is your reason?
    05-15-2017 10:02 AM
    I would definitely upgrade to Pro, but not for the browser. I need/use Adobe software. Edge is fine for me.
    05-15-2017 10:16 AM
    I'd upgrade to pro too, but for different reasons. I love Edge, so that's not my problem. But Windows 10 S can only use the Store apps. Now, that normally wouldn't be much of a problem, but given the current state of the Store itself, it just doesn't provide enough utility to justify a whole system based only on it, especially on a computer.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    05-15-2017 10:17 AM
    I uninstalled all the non-store apps on my SB about a week ago, as a test run. The Slack version that's in the Store, while looking identical, seems to be slightly slower, and hangs on occasion. Edge might be a no-go, because my company uses Constant Contact for email distribution, and it states that all features are not available in Edge. Also, Edge seems much slower than Chrome. I haven't been able to test the full Outlook yet, as it's not in the Store at this time. Other than that, I haven't run into any problems. It's nice to have the upgrade option though.
    ajcletus500 and Timbre70 like this.
    05-15-2017 10:34 AM
    Well the Edge is improving so there's still some hope. Let's not forget they're not aiming on companies and for students the basic browsing functionality should be good enough for start. But yeah I'd miss Chrome even if just as a secondary browser.
    05-15-2017 10:41 AM
    never liked chrome that much. I could live without it. but I would need the full version of Windows 10 at least to get started
    05-15-2017 10:59 AM
    Personally Windows S is useless for me, as almost nothing installed on my Surface Pro or my desktop is available on the store.
    05-15-2017 11:08 AM
    I would upgrade to pro, but not for the browser. It's Visual Studio and Steam that I need. Edge has improved a lot in the Creators update and is hopefully going to get updated in the future. Let me remind you that locking up to Store had reasons like for the better security and battery life.
    05-15-2017 01:14 PM
    I would upgrade just because I don't want to be bound to what's in the store. Most of what I use is there but it makes it hard to try out other software or programs that haven't been approved/submitted to the Windows store.
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-15-2017 01:50 PM
    Well, the nice thing about the Surface Laptop is that you can upgrade to Pro for free if you do so within 1 year of purchasing the device. So you'd have a good amount of time to try out Windows 10 S and see if you can manage without Win32 apps before having to decide one way or the other. Being restricted to Edge is certainly a bummer given that the Edge team apparently has no plans to unbundle it from the OS, but as it stands now the functionality gap between Edge and Chrome isn't that big of a deal for me. Then again, I'm not one of those people with a zillion different Chrome extensions. Most of the ones I use are already on the Windows Store.
    ttsoldier and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-15-2017 07:34 PM
    If google doesn't bring a chrome browser to the windows store given this release of windows s, they are officially stupid (their primary income stream is google search, and this will clearly be use by young people who can be imprinted with 'bing and edge' instead).

That said, edge browser is great (better imo). I don't anything else now, the other UI's are clunky, and the other browsers slow to initialize.

Me, I'd definitely go pro though, with this laptop. While I use plenty of store apps, I also use loads of things that haven't modernized their apps yet.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-16-2017 02:05 AM
    Yeah, Pro is the way to go. Except the wife, she can stay on S :)
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-16-2017 04:10 AM
    Upgrade to Pro version, no doubt about it. Unless the laptop is provided to you by your school or employer and has all the apps that help you with your work.

If you have purchased the laptop on your own, then it doesn't make sense to use a limited OS when you can upgrade to a full fledged OS where you can install any software you want.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    05-16-2017 02:32 PM
    How about a $1300 macbook where I can't plug in any of my 20+ peripherals without spending a fortune on adapters that I'll be misplacing?

I think that's a far worse limitation, even if you "upgrade" by buying adapters. $50 for unlocking Windows 10 forever seems reasonable given that the laptop was first and foremost meant for education and power saving. If Microsoft had priced the device starting at $1049 with W10, nobody would have batted an eye. It's a premium and expensive device no matter how you put it.
    05-16-2017 06:02 PM
    I only use the Edge browser. So the browser is not the problem. What I need in the Store is Quicken, Turbo Tax, Clibre, Wild Devine, Visual Studio, and SQL Server Developer.
    05-16-2017 10:25 PM
    I can't see any individual getting this laptop sticking with W10S. It would only happen if a school bought them for its pupils. Everyone else would go for W10 Pro - it's a no-brainer.
    05-17-2017 07:30 AM
    Why would schools or business bother with 10S? They can always administer control over their pcs.
    05-17-2017 07:58 AM
    I think turbo tax is in the store. Not 100 % sure
    05-17-2017 09:17 AM
    The hope is going to be that enough schools show interest in this and push the software makers to supply them with a store version of their apps.
    GG002 likes this.
    05-17-2017 09:25 AM
    As an owner of an O.G. surface RT i don't think i can allow myself to be pigeonholed into ONLY the windows store again... I loved my original surface, (hell it still runs well), but I'm not keen on windows 10 s because of my RT experience.
    05-17-2017 09:38 AM
    I too would upgrade to Pro, as I will be in graduate school in a few years and will need modeling software. I also need to download compilers and code editor programs to continue with my programming hobby. Although, this laptop seems rather expensive for being so restrictive in terms of software, especially after the first year when you can't even upgrade to pro for free.
    05-17-2017 10:11 AM
    I would take the Pro even if it wasn't free. the store has very limited apps and some of them are even paid eg EnPass
    05-20-2017 12:54 PM
    Microsoft edge is currently working well. Probably any ordinary user won't need other browsers...
    05-20-2017 12:57 PM
    Originally posted by machapman
    I can't see any individual getting this laptop sticking with W10S. It would only happen if a school bought them for its pupils. Everyone else would go for W10 Pro - it's a no-brainer.
    For students who just need basic apps (pdf reader, Office, Skype, Facebook, Messenger, Photoshop, video editor, etc) there really isn't that compelling a reason to upgrade. While there are some store apps that don't work as well as Win 32 counterparts, they are catching up fairly well.

Also it will definitely help novice users (probably the majority of people who will buy this laptop) keep their system running well for four or more years, since installing apps from the store makes it far easier to maintain everything.
    ttsoldier and GG002 like this.
    05-20-2017 02:45 PM
    For students who just need basic apps (pdf reader, Office, Skype, Facebook, Messenger, Photoshop, video editor, etc) there really isn't that compelling a reason to upgrade. While there are some store apps that don't work as well as Win 32 counterparts, they are catching up fairly well.
    hey there. i agree with your statement. furthermore, with additions like itunes and spotify and more to come, the reason to upgrade to windows 10 pro becomes smaller and smaller.
    ttsoldier and ajcletus500 like this.
    05-20-2017 05:26 PM
51 123