Closed System

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'ts great for k-12. (Most k-12 kids aren't getting a $1000 laptop) Most college students aren't going to want this as their PC. I'm thinking 80% will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I see it with a very limited scope. I wonder how MS decided to market the surface laptop with W10S for students. I'm pretty sure most of the stuff an average college student needs is not on the store

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think it's the future all UWP, but its not for me yet.

Two main things hold me back

1) Fruity loops the full version hasn't been centennial'd yet.

2) Games. Game developers and users have a bit of convincing to come over. If I were MSFT, I'd try and cut a deal with steam.

As for windows s, I'd always like to option to sideload appx files (uwp's). So I'd never be an s user. For various reasons sometimes apps don't make it to the store. Store guidelines and such. If I used android, or chromeOS or macOSX, it'd be the same - I'll happily use the store, I'd love the fast and sandboxed app platform, but I don't like to be tied down.

However, such a system would be great for people that are technophobic, schools and libraries and people with minimal software needs.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey there. i want it to be a closed system because i dont want random stuff installing in my computer on its own and the battery life is amazing in windows 10 s, but reality is there is only one application i need for work that isnt UWP so i have to convert it to windows 10 pro eventually.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I think it's a little strange at the price point, but considering how cheap it is to upgrade to the pro license it's not a major flaw. Also, I see how it is useful in an academic setting, but how is W10S useful in a Surface laptop outside of an academic setting? Is it purely a security thing?

Considering my current setup is Continuum on a 950, would a closed system be any better?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett