Alcantara. NO or GO?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I've heard contrasting views on alcantara fabric. While some adore the feeling and comfort, others say it attracts greasiness like a magnet. I have had no experience so I can't say as such...

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. i say depends on your line of work and how much discipline you have. if youre outside all the time or if you use the computer with dirt on your hands, make-up on your palms, crumbs, etc. eventually its going to get very dirty. if youre always at some place clean then you should be fine.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
hello. i say depends on your line of work and how much discipline you have. if youre outside all the time or if you use the computer with dirt on your hands, make-up on your palms, crumbs, etc. eventually its going to get very dirty. if youre always at some place clean then you should be fine.

this hold true for any laptop. The real question is how much of an effort will it be to clean it and to what extent it will get clean.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, my laptop's aluminium chassis is usually dirtier than my alcantara signature type cover. That being said, it's easier to clean my laptop, but alcantara just feels and looks so niiiiiceeee. I'm happy they put that on the Surface Laptop. It gives it more of a human touch, as I've never actually been a fan of cold, lifeless metal feel on computers.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
this hold true for any laptop. The real question is how much of an effort will it be to clean it and to what extent it will get clean.

hello. true, no matter what the material things can get dirty. however, my aluminum laptop can easily be cleaned with a paper towel and water but ive never handled the alcantara fabric (and the fabric is special because it is above the brains of the surface laptop) so i would be concerned with cleaning it.

Last edited:

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I like the 'feel' a lot!Thre is a sens eof comfort associated with it. It is water n grease resistant, but yes, cleaning is more difficult. So, basically it gets dirty slower, but cleaning is not as easy (recommend a microfiber cloth)..n metals get dirty easier n easier to clean! On balance I would welcome Alcantara.

Freddy Grande

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Definitely GO for Alcantara.
I should probably make a video about the Alcantara in my car to show how easily it stays clean and doesn't retain moisture (when treated with an oleo-phobic coating like no the Surface Laptop). Had it for over three years and still looks new.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely GO for Alcantara.
I should probably make a video about the Alcantara in my car to show how easily it stays clean and doesn't retain moisture (when treated with an oleo-phobic coating like no the Surface Laptop). Had it for over three years and still looks new.

hey freddy. what car do you have that has the alcantara fabric? i heard about it being offered in cars although i cant remember the source, but its cool to hear someone in the forums has a car with this fabric in it.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
According to Panos MS blog, the fabric is treated with polyurethane to help resist stains.

hey there, good to know. thanks! i try to avoid any food or liquids near my computer and dont work in a dirty/dusty environment so i didnt have any concerns about staining but nice to think about this in the back of my mind when i decide to take the laptop out and about.

SP4

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft’s general manager of Surface Engineering, Pete Kyriacou, had this to say:
"Just like anything luxury that you buy, like great handbags or a pair of shoes or even expensive cars, there is a care that’s needed for the device. And so from the materials perspective, we will ask customers — specifically customers who might stain it or drop something on it — to go ahead and wipe that right away. There’s a simple way of doing that with a microfiber with a soap and water solution on it. You don’t need any special chemical and you can wipe it off. Then just care [for it in the same way] that would go into anything that luxurious. That’s more of a periodical thing, not super frequent, something you might look at doing every six months or something. And so if you think of the livelihood of this laptop, somewhere between four and five years, it’s not that often you have to do it in terms of taking care of it."

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft’s general manager of Surface Engineering, Pete Kyriacou, had this to say:
"Just like anything luxury that you buy, like great handbags or a pair of shoes or even expensive cars, there is a care that’s needed for the device. And so from the materials perspective, we will ask customers — specifically customers who might stain it or drop something on it — to go ahead and wipe that right away. There’s a simple way of doing that with a microfiber with a soap and water solution on it. You don’t need any special chemical and you can wipe it off. Then just care [for it in the same way] that would go into anything that luxurious. That’s more of a periodical thing, not super frequent, something you might look at doing every six months or something. And so if you think of the livelihood of this laptop, somewhere between four and five years, it’s not that often you have to do it in terms of taking care of it."

hey there. wow so simple, thats awesome. i was worried about cleaning the fabric since below the fabric are electronics, but nice to know just soap and water are whats needed.

Last edited:

MoggyMisc

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

A luxuarious PC that needs to be cared like a bag or cloth... It does not sound like a good idea for business or school PC.
I became unsure whom MSFT is appealing to. Business, or consumer?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
A luxuarious PC that needs to be cared like a bag or cloth... It does not sound like a good idea for business or school PC.
I became unsure whom MSFT is appealing to. Business, or consumer?

hey. when i worked in retail the store i worked at sold luxury bags and we would suggest using water and soap. these 2 are the safest on products. mixing chemicals and applying it to fabric like leather etc can stain or ruin the fabric, so best to clean with safe products and as quick as possible.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs