What are the advantages of a "clamshell" laptop over a 2-in-1 laptop?

Chris_NH

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new travel/home PC and am considering the new Surface Laptop and the 2017 HP Spectre x360. Both can be used as a traditional laptop. But with its 360-degree hinge, the HP can also be used in other modes such as tent, flat, and presentation, and even more importantly tablet, which is needed to make the best use of a digital pen. Any thoughts on this question would be appreciated.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's less to go wrong.

Anecdotal evidence time!
Right now I got one of those 360-degree convertible laptops (ThinkPad Yoga since early 2015) and the orientation sensors that control the keyboard and touchpad seem to be acting up. The computer sometimes disables the keyboard when I'm using it, enables it in tablet mode or when it's held a certain way, etc.

I've looked into software workarounds but nothing has stuck for me and it's getting worse. I need to rule out whether it's a software issue potentially though soon.

It's not guaranteed to happen I would think, but it's not an unheard of problem at least among Lenovo's consumer and professional Yoga lines.

One could also argue the conventional hinge is a durability plus.

But that also depends on usage, I haven't used the pen and alternative modes nearly enough to justify this in hindsight and I'll probably be switching it out. But that's just me, I'll probably bother my Yoga 2 Pro toting friend since they got theirs around the same time.

Chris_NH

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes ... reduced mechanical and software complexity should be an advantage of a clamshell design, but hopefully a small one. In other words, I hope that your bad experience with 2-in-1s is rare!

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I don't see the point of the 360 degree hinge approach because in tablet mode it's too heavy to really use like an iPad. The removable keyboard approach to me is much better. I've had a MacBook Air and a Surface Pro 4. The clamshell is a little more stable in your lap but the kickstand on the Surface Pro is not bad either. I like having the option to use as a "real" tablet with pen for note taking and the ability to use it on a plane during takeoff and landing.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the Yoga 2 Pro 2in1. Won't go back to traditional laptop. Touch and tablet features outweighs weight. Pun intended.

I love it. Has so many uses.

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
It really depends on the kind of work that you do...my experience with x360 has been that it can really help when you are for example standing in a queue and want to work, or if your work involves drawing things, and of course, it basically enables you to go one device short (instead of phone+tablet+laptop). But clam shell models in my opinion have a better balance on the lap...and software errors are generally more in a x360. On the whole, I am a bit biased towards x360 than a touch clamshell!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on the kind of work that you do...my experience with x360 has been that it can really help when you are for example standing in a queue and want to work, or if your work involves drawing things, and of course, it basically enables you to go one device short (instead of phone+tablet+laptop). But clam shell models in my opinion have a better balance on the lap...and software errors are generally more in a x360. On the whole, I am a bit biased towards x360 than a touch clamshell!

hey there, great point about standing and working. so much easier to hold a 2 in 1 that way than a laptop. i work from home but i do like to stand and walk while working so a 2 in 1 in those situations are good.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Mobile devices are an area where everything is a compromise.

A traditional laptop has the most lapability, but honestly anything with a hinge is pretty similar, its just different weight distribution.

In a tablet I prefer a detachable - but with a hinge, and keyboard dock, rather than a kickstand and typecover. Either way, a lighter tablet is preferable IMO for tablet use (drawing, casual browsing), than a 360.

The 360's advantage is really the tent. You can use it as a tablet, in tent, in the kitchen, or on a desk, less actively, for recipes, skyping, instructionals, and it has very similar lapability as a regular clamshell.

I guess you can see it as a spectrum from laptop to tablet, and which is likely to get the most use will determine what FF you might gel with most. If you'd rarely use the device without input, more productivity focused, a laptop or 360 might make the most sense. If you travel a lot (surface pro), or use the device a bit more consumption based, a type cover or detachable with hinge might make more sense.

psh_vt

May 8, 2017
Visit site
In my view, there are no advantages to a laptop. I've been using hybrids since the original Lenovo Yoga (2012) and now have a Surface Pro 3 (2015). I use a "traditional laptop" in my office because my employer gives me a MacBook Pro, and there is literally nothing i like better about the laptop.

I use my Surface Pro 3 in laptop mode about 80% of the time, and it works great for me in that position. I know not everyone feels this way, but I like the keyboard, I like the "lapability," everything is great, not worse than a traditional laptop. But then, on top of that, when I need it -- it's a tablet, it's a drawing platform.

The heat is in the screen, not the keyboard on your leg like a laptop. The SP3 screen is supported by the stand on your leg and doesn't wiggle at all when you touch it, unlike a laptop. No way I could ever go back to a regular laptop.

If the question is between the Surface idea (tablet with type-cover) vs. the Yoga idea (Yoga/Spectre, etc.) -- well, I'm on the fence. I like both pretty much equally. The thing that sold me on the SP3 was the extreme light weight, but, really, something like the Spectre is essentially just as light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb