Any owners out there?

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
If you currently own a Surface Laptop, how is it treating you? Anyone notice any bugs, or other weird stuff? What color did you get? I want with Cobalt Blue. Haven't had any issues yet. I can say that I am impressed with the sound, and I love the screen. it was my deciding factor when looking at other systems like the xps 13. 3:2 is just easier for my work flow. I do miss the XPS 15 O returned, but it had a ton of problems, and Dell is a nightmare when it comes to customer service.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering the same.. It does not look like many are interested in buying it.. High price, mediocre specs and concerns over the fabric KB is my guess as to why..

takethebox

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
If you currently own a Surface Laptop, how is it treating you? Anyone notice any bugs, or other weird stuff? What color did you get? I want with Cobalt Blue. Haven't had any issues yet. I can say that I am impressed with the sound, and I love the screen. it was my deciding factor when looking at other systems like the xps 13. 3:2 is just easier for my work flow. I do miss the XPS 15 O returned, but it had a ton of problems, and Dell is a nightmare when it comes to customer service.

I made an account just to answer haha. Usually a lurker. I got one a few days ago. Really love it so far. I chose Platinum. Looks really good. My second choice would have def been Cobalt though the Burgundy also looks stellar in person. I have had zero issues so far. The screen is fantastic and the speakers sound great. They have more bass than I was expecting. The keyboard on this is A+.

Ilya Ivanov

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
well I'm not sure about the price I got my i7/256 for $1430. Which is on par with MacBook. Battery life is good 9-10 hours for me. ( I did under volt the CPU),the screen is very similar to surface book. I with it had an SD card slot and USB-C, but mini DP 1.2 does the job 4K@60hz.

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
I ended up returning mine. thinking of getting the Blade Stealth 13. $200 bucks to step up to an i7 with 16 gigs of ram, an extra usb port and thunder bolt is very alluring. I realized that all the vertical space i got with 3:2 was marred by the horizontal I lost for tool bars and split window.

cyloncat

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I have the i7/8/256 Laptop, Platinum because for i7, there's no other choice. Very pleased with the machine so far; it is fast, has a great screen, and handles very well. I do miss having the SD card slot, but the lack of USB-C doesn't bother me at all. Works fine with Surface Dock. Caveats: this is a laptop, not a 2-in-1, adjust your expectations accordingly. The screen tilts back a little further than the Surface Book. It's not a great device for handwriting or drawing, and there's no magnetic "attachment" for a pen.

Also, if you upgrade to Pro, don't join Windows Insider on this device. The current fast-ring build locks the machine down like it's still on 10 S. This has been reported on Feedback Hub.

sunfir222

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I also bought one. very good machine With just two "flaws" that I can see.

first; Edge uses very much cpu and this gets the fan going - and the machine is not in the nearby silent anymore.

second; in the middle of the keyboard the machine has a littlebit of flex. its enough that I can feel it when typing.. annoying.

I have the i5 8GB 256GB Version and it has the i5 7300U. (yes - iam sure).

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Can any one comment on the speed of the SSD I’m seeing some outlets saying it’s fast yet others are saying they’ve used older slower ssd’s

sunfir222

May 29, 2014
Visit site
my biggest problem now is that Microsoft Edge uses 30-40% CPU while just having one tab open.. any tips here? It hits my battery pretty hard and the fans spins up so much its a littlebit annoying.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
So this get stranger.. I went to Best Buy today and played with a 3 display models and all 3 had a 7200U.. @sunfir222 I think you might have a one of a kind computer since you are saying yours has a 7300U...

Weird!

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow.. I got the i5 / 8 / 256 so I'll check mine tomorrow after it arrives.. I am guessing it's a 7200U though..

@chattoe I'll run a CrystalMark test for you tomorrow re: SSD speed but all the benchmarks I've seen peg them as being very, very slow...

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine came and it's indeed a 7200U. Not sure what type of magical machine @sunfir222 received but mine is in fact a 7200U

7200_U.png

@chattoe here is a CrystalMark from my 256GB SSD... It's abysmal!

surface_ssd.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2017
Visit site
Knowing my luck - if I do decide to buy one, that's when Windows Central will finally announce the winner to the Surface Laptop giveaway and the winner turns out to be me. I think it's called Murphy's Law or something?

But joking aside, I'm still debating. Kinda waiting for some more real world use reviews to come in before I decide to spend my money. I know first generation tech usually has a few hiccups and while some hiccups I'm fine with, some are deal-breakers. I'm wondering any hiccups that the surface laptop might have would be deal breakers for me.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Knowing my luck - if I do decide to buy one, that's when Windows Central will finally announce the winner to the Surface Laptop giveaway and the winner turns out to be me. I think it's called Murphy's Law or something?

But joking aside, I'm still debating. Kinda waiting for some more real world use reviews to come in before I decide to spend my money. I know first generation tech usually has a few hiccups and while some hiccups I'm fine with, some are deal-breakers. I'm wondering any hiccups that the surface laptop might have would be deal breakers for me.

I have not had any issues with mine thus far.. It's well built and 10S feels pretty fast.. I don't know how long I will keep 10S on it but I am going to try and use it for as long as I can.

RAM usage on 10S is pretty good:

ram_usage.png

Screen is stellar, keyboard is stellar and the trackpad is stellar. My only complaint thus far is the use of the 7200U and the slow SSD..

sunfir222

May 29, 2014
Visit site
how is cpu usage With edge? I also want to use Windows 10 S but cpu usage is just CRAZY. fan ramps up and battery is draining With this type of usage.

see Attached screens.

Attachments

• steady cpu usage.jpg
    steady cpu usage.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786