Surface Phone / Panos' Phone Wishlist

makol

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Mmm.. know what?
I guess THIS is what i'd like to see.
(dont get too excited, not a leak, just a quick photoshop that i made)..

SurfPhone.jpg

No need for a mini surface, that would appear clumsy an over accessorized...
IMHO, hat windows 10 needs is a premium sleek cool phone, a good partner for the Surface family.
Many iphone users I know admitted the potential of WP/W10 mobile OS, but can't stand buying a WP just for a design matter.
930 is the phone which got closer to that (aluminium, thin bezels) but it was a little too bulky, and with poor aluminum finishes (except for black).

Anyway, let's see what Panos team will give us!
In the meantime, if you like what i like, RT this

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually I hope they make a phone that supports "mods" like the Moto Mods on the Moto X. Click a bigger battery on it, more advanced camera module/lensen or swap it out with stereo speakers. Maybe allow it to magnetically fit into a tablet like the Asus Padfone. Or what about a physical "slide out" keyboard? That would be a lot of fun and makes the phone very personal as well.

Crazy thought I know, but it would make the phone pretty versatile in my usage...

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm not even expecting a SP to run x86 applications, i would be happy with a dock with an internal processor that can do that and power it to an external display.

As far as specs i would like to see (reasonable request):
  • 6.0" AMOLED display
  • 256GB internal with expandable storage
  • Micro SD card expansion
  • Kickstand with infinite positions i.e. SP3/4
  • Pen support with internal pen possible (Note series...)
  • Optional flip cover with keyboard or accessory for bluetooth mini keyboard
  • USB-C w/ quick charge
  • High end camera, a 950 type camera would do just fine
  • front firing speakers with surround sound
  • 6GB RAM or more
  • Keep the dedicated camera button
  • button layout similar to 950 not XL
  • Magnesium unibody contruction to line up with all other Surfaces -duh
  • 1440P display, isn't that enough, you cant see the pixels anyways why sacrifice battery life for 4K or 5K displays?
  • a price tag of $999.00 or under

I think this seems reasonable, no?

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's mine:

6 inches
2k resolution
Clearblack
4500 mAh battery
64-bit OS
6-8Gb RAM
64-128 Gb Storage
Expandable storage up to 2Tb
Solo-Dual SIM
20MP f/1.4
Bluetooth 5.0
Strong WiFi
LTE
NFC
Iris scanner
Fingerprint scanner
12MP front-facing camera f/1.8
Front-facing stereo speakers
landscape start screen
tiny bezels
USB C
dedicated camera button
provision for wrist strap

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The 2 guys above me, why 6GB RAM? The 640 runs comfortably with 1GB and my old 1020 used to run really well with 2GB. Is there anything that the 950 cannot do with 3GB? Asking for RAM at levels higher than laptops is over the top in my opinion.
3GB RAM is great, 4GB will be future proofing for the next 3 years.

The next surface device needs that something special that no other device can do or hasn't thought of doing. Putting in 6GB like some android phone isn't new. Putting intel processors will not work as they are not efficient enough for mobile devices. High internal memory just adds a lot of cost to the final price. There can be options starting from 32GB. Anything more can be done by sd card.

What is that something special? We don't know just like we didn't know when the surface book came out. Definitely continuum is part of the story

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I was just curious reading the "news" about surface phone from other "tech sites". They claim that the bottom version of it will have Snapdragon 821 and 6gb ram and the other one would run on atom, just funny how they can post it without any arguments :grincry:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The reason the iphone doesnt have QI wireless charging is because its an all metal phone...if people want that so bad with the surface phone i think they are going to sacrifice QI charging. I'd rather have QI charging than a metal unibody contrsuction. What about you?

They could do something like the Galaxy series with a glass back and metal side construction, that would be fine i guess. But all in all i really love the 950 XL design i really think its the best Lumia that has ever come out. I love love love the MOZO cases and the fact that i can change my phones apparence without adding the bulk of a case. AND QI, removable battery, expandable storage, easily replaceable shell once it gets damage...all make it superior to the Galaxy or iphone lines IMO. A Surface Phone like that would be just fine with me.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The 2 guys above me, why 6GB RAM? The 640 runs comfortably with 1GB and my old 1020 used to run really well with 2GB. Is there anything that the 950 cannot do with 3GB? Asking for RAM at levels higher than laptops is over the top in my opinion.
3GB RAM is great, 4GB will be future proofing for the next 3 years.

The next surface device needs that something special that no other device can do or hasn't thought of doing. Putting in 6GB like some android phone isn't new. Putting intel processors will not work as they are not efficient enough for mobile devices. High internal memory just adds a lot of cost to the final price. There can be options starting from 32GB. Anything more can be done by sd card.

What is that something special? We don't know just like we didn't know when the surface book came out. Definitely continuum is part of the story

Yes...Continuum. After having a few tabs open in Edge, messaging, and a few apps in the background, the phone slows down to a crawl and becomes very hot. RAM at these levels would help that and give you a nice buffer to open many programs if you're running Conintuum. Also future proofing for more intensive apps/VR.

Same with my Surface Book. There is no good reason i need more than 8 GB of RAM i can get close to 6 but that is about it. So why did i get 16 GB? Peace of mind & Future proofing. I plan on using this thing well into 2020. If my old laptop (2009 dell inspiron) and old desktop (2008 dell xps 430) are any indicator then the SB should last me 10 years give or take.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes...Continuum. After having a few tabs open in Edge, messaging, and a few apps in the background, the phone slows down to a crawl and becomes very hot. RAM at these levels would help that and give you a nice buffer to open many programs if you're running Conintuum. Also future proofing for more intensive apps/VR.

Same with my Surface Book. There is no good reason i need more than 8 GB of RAM i can get close to 6 but that is about it. So why did i get 16 GB? Peace of mind & Future proofing. I plan on using this thing well into 2020. If my old laptop (2009 dell inspiron) and old desktop (2008 dell xps 430) are any indicator then the SB should last me 10 years give or take.

I've read on the issue of the phone overheating when using continuum and in very same thread other users have the opposite experience - one that has smooth cool operations

So it's more of optimising the way it works with current devices and getting it right for all users

I read a forum where people asked how the x3 behaves with continuum - specifically about heat - the person answering said there was no heating issue - an indication of something, right?

Guilherme Roussin

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Looks quite good to me but I can bet it won't look like that - too much alike Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. If it comes in that shape I will be disappointed a bit, because tha would mean that designers lazy :p

Really? I thought that keeping a signature of other products would appeal to all the fan-boys and people who are accustomed to the line of Microsoft Hardware. Just like cars of a particular brand, each one has a signature and a pattern of its manufacturers from which you can guess the brand without even knowing what it is. Can you imagine this concept in metal body, cold and curved sides comfortably adjusting the hands as well as the iPhone 6 that took all its generations to finally release something not square, which is what Microsoft has been doing mistakenly.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think that fingerprint reader on a phone is a must have today. Maybe you can insert it on the rear on top of the Windows logo
Fingerprint reader is probably a lot more popular nowadays, but I personally would be more excited to use iris scanner, just because it's something different.

Guilherme Roussin

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking the camera needs to be in the vertical axis of the phone, not near a corner

Microsoft Surface Phone middle.jpg

Like this? But the Logo does not seem to be in the middle anymore, the camera is getting all the attention, also think about the cases, the camera in the corner lets a better space for a good art

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 128860

Like this? But the Logo does not seem to be in the middle anymore, the camera is getting all the attention, also think about the cases, the camera in the corner lets a better space for a good art

true but from what I've seen, Nokia mostly had the camera in the middle or vertical axis. Most smartphones today keep the camera in the corner but Lumias or windows devices keep it centred thus making them different

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I think that the Surface phone needs to be recognizable immediately, both up close and from a distance. I really like the yellow option, would be something to get people talking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234