Surface Phone / Panos' Phone Wishlist

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can probably confidently say that I want it smaller than its going to be. :)

Can't say much on specifications, we got plenty of people for that.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I want them to continue their marketing lines - "Surface Pro 4 - The tablet that can replace your laptop" to "Surface Phone - The phone that can replace your laptop".

Honestly I mostly want them to get it right. Decent battery, good build quality, the ability to run x86 applications and no horrible, horrible bugs. Pen support would be nice, but I feel that's going to add a decent amount of weight.

Edit - a fully integrated NFC payment platform would be swell too, but that's more Microsoft as a whole and not phone specific.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd want an x86 Zenphone, basically. Give us a 5-6" phone with a digitizer and Intel Atom chip. Give us a Surface Pro-like shell to connect the phone to, and make it compatible with Surface Pro 5 accessories (specifically, the keyboard and Surface Pen, the latter of which would work on the phone as well). Improve the Continuum Display Dock so it can be used as a desktop-like experience as well.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I like the ideas in here so far. I think we need to go beyond just listing specs we want and think about experiences (and that's what I've read above).

It's easy to list 'I want a 6" 4K screen with a 3Ghz 8 core CPU and 256GB storage' or whatever but really for most of us the underlying specs aren't as important as things like 'I want a fast, responsive experience, I want to seamlessly move between devices & combine my physical world with my digital through simple note taking, device based payments, etc. etc.'

Well, I can probably confidently say that I want it smaller than its going to be. :)

Yeah, me too. Sticking to the above I don't actually care what the screen size ultimately is but I want something that I find comfortable to hold, operate and pocket which tends to be around the 4.5" mark with todays phones. Good luck with that. I think big screen is going to become less 'necessary' though as things like wearables & device convergence (powered by Continuum) improve and become more popular. I think we can find new ways to consume & create that don't rely on a traditional phone screen.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not too concerned about specs (they got it right with the 950/950XL), but I'd like to see improvements on Continuum:
-Run windowed apps instead of one at a time.
-Reduce lag from using phone as a trackpad.
-"Minimize" apps when disconnecting from Continuum dock - i.e. Open the Mobile equivalent of what was being done on the big screen.
-If there's no mobile equivalent (most likely for .exe programs), keep task in the background.
-Drag & drop open apps from mobile to external screen, including tasks in the background.

I really want to use Continuum more often, and if Windows 10 Redstone brings these updates and the Surface Phone has the specs to run it smoothly, I'll be first in line to grab it!

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a phone that has a foldable display and become a Surface tablet with x86 support. Integrated pen that also works on Surface Pro 5.

I'd also like to see dummy displays that can be used wirelessly with Miracast to project my phone that's all battery, thin and lightweight to be used as a tablet. Like a dummy miracast receiver monitor with touch capability to navigate my phone.

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Make the casing out of osmium to give it some weight. Or better yet get rid of the case. Make a clear phone that allows reality augmentation like the holo-lens.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Some wow features to bring focus to Windows phones... e.g. holographic desktop or desktop projection. Or audio playback that is unbelievable. 2 day battery life. 3D video capture. Mind control. I don't know, I'm just trying to think outside the box for things that grab attention.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I get the sinking feeling that Panos in his mania to "create new categories" will make it a 6.0"+ device. At a certain point Nadella needs to assert some authority and say NO to some of those wacky choices.

MrRichardF

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Whatever it is they end up doing, i just hope they don't sacrifice that which made Lumias special - color options, durability, killer cameras, Qi charging, and something that feels good to hold. I own a Surface 3 and love the device, but when holding the it, I often find myself wishing its sides were rounded or tapered (like those on the Lumia 2520, or even the iPad). Maximum functionality and user-friendly design were what set the Window mobile experience apart. I hope this isn't lost on the Panos led Device team. Primarily, however, what makes the Surface line revolutionary is the stand. If the stand can be incorporated into the design without compromising the functionality Lumias have been known for, the Surface Phone would be an absolute knock out. And if that can't be done, I hope an alternative device is provided.

Full disclosure: My dream phone would be the Lumia 950 XL if it were shaped like a Lumia 735 (or the Lumia 735 with 950 XL specs). The only interest I would really have in a Surface-branded phone is how it might help draw positive attention to the Windows mobile platform.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I just want a Galaxy Note-type device running Windows, with full support for inking in OneNote. When the 950XL was rumored to have the pen, it'd have been perfect.

But I wouldn't mind a giant 1020-sized sensor in that device as well. :D

venki m

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Please do not name this phone as panos... If it named this way as 'Panos' it's pathetic.... Dumb naming of phone... Let it be surface itself

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What I hope from the surface phone,

• That it have good specs. Not crazy specs like 4GB RAM or 4k screen but good. If 512MB RAM devices can comfortably run windows mobile 10 then so can a surface phone with 2GB RAM. I would think a 1080p screen would be okay, 4.5-5.2 inch
  • A good battery life
  • A well optimised windows mobile 10 OS so that it is very efficient in power consumption
  • Good camera with pureview. For sure I would love to see a large sensor like the 1020 but most likely they'll run with 20MP
  • A unibody design like the 1020 with round side edges but corners at the top. These all round corners are a poor and simple design, many phone companies have it and it's not pleasant
  • Dedicated camera button
  • It needs to be priced well, not extreme like 600USD+.
  • It needs to be sold worldwide and not just a few countries like US and UK. The surface brand is only felt in a few countries.
  • Needs worldwide support for any accessories. People don't like buying the phone locally and then import accessories at outrageous prices

But most of all, it has to show the full potential of WM10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3