New Surface Phone Concept (Sept 2016)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
That device is chunnnkkkyy but i like it.

And an open question to everyone: Do we think that if MS were to include a pen that slides into the phone they would be criticized for copying the Note line?

The kickstand also needs that angular design so that it can function both in landscape and portrait mode. Like the earlier Surface Phone concept we have all seen.

I like the dary grey and blue look though

Was hp or lenovo criticised for copying the surface concept?
Or when apple decided to have a keyboard with an ipad? :wink:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Was hp or lenovo criticised for copying the surface concept?
Or when apple decided to have a keyboard with an ipad? :wink:

Well hp and lenovo are not direct competitors of the Surface perse. In fact that is what MS is hoping 3rd manufacturers do, copy their design. They are making excellent first party hardware like the sp4 and the sb as sort of a benchmark for other OEMs to follow. Then other OEMs make excellent 3rd party hardware and MS sells W10 and customers subsequently use MS services on them. So that analogy doesn't really hold water.

As far as the second comment with Apple...yes they were criticized heavily apart from Apple fanboys. The day it was announced i remember Surface started trending on Twitter.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well hp and lenovo are not direct competitors of the Surface perse. In fact that is what MS is hoping 3rd manufacturers do, copy their design. They are making excellent first party hardware like the sp4 and the sb as sort of a benchmark for other OEMs to follow. Then other OEMs make excellent 3rd party hardware and MS sells W10 and customers subsequently use MS services on them. So that analogy doesn't really hold water.

As far as the second comment with Apple...yes they were criticized heavily apart from Apple fanboys. The day it was announced i remember Surface started trending on Twitter.

and they also copied the living image concept, the small and large phone idea, and others too :wink:

Jason Friesen

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I would buy one, I've been waiting for a surface phone to come out for months now. That being said I would like to see some other color schemes for it as well.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I like the phone design a lot, but the keyboard is a no-go. Don't always have a solid surface to set-up on.

Would prefer a slider body, or even better, a clamshell setup with a Black Berry keyboard with the swiping cursor navigation that BlackBerry had on their Passport model. The keyboard could be kept pretty slim if using alloys for the frame.

hammera

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm a huge supporter of physical keyboards but all of these surface cover concepts are unworkable in the real world unless you have a nice flat surface to work on.

The beauty of a physical keyboard is the speed at which you can work whilst on the go. Touch screen keyboards are fine (and probably a little quicker in all honesty) as long as you're not being buffeted about (on the bus/train, etc). The positive feel from a physical keyboard means that you have significantly more faith that what you are typing is what you actually intended.

To be really useful a keyboard needs to be firmly attached to the phone (if not you might as well just carry a folding bluetooth keyboard). The Nokia E7 (and the ill fated N950) are probably the best design I've used but they both suffered from less than ideal keys - great for thumb use but rubbish for 'touch' style typing. Anyone who ever used a Psion 5MX knows that small keyboards don't have to be poor and if anyone can manage to put a Psion quality keyboard in an E7 style chassis they will have my money.

Oh - and I don't care about it being thin. I want a productive tool not a fashion item.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I also wish for a phone with a keyboard like the HTC 7 Pro, slide and tilt. This phone looks like the keyboard is detachable like those 2 in one laptops. I long for the day any phone company many a side slider again. When will we know if Microsoft is planning this at all, or has in legit in the works?? I heard March we should know be, is that right?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Something like this would be more rigid and sturdy I guess, but I think it's better to go with the method that Lenovo went with and try to use a screen with haptic feedback to create a keyboard. That way when you're not using it you can use it for something else. That's a lot of space for something someone may never use.

iPhone-7-Pro-dual-screen-concept-michael-muleba-4-768x432.jpg

iPhone-7-Pro-dual-screen-concept-michael-muleba-6-768x432.jpg

iPhone-7-Pro-dual-screen-concept-michael-muleba-7-768x432.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes