03-21-2017 09:30 PM
45 12
tools
    I understand why it made sense to build a whole new browser for PC, but I don't understand why they restarted from scratch on mobile.
    Field test. That is my assumption anyway. Can be derived from anything released into the wild that could almost seem beta at the time. It is not beta of course. I find it still odd that simple things are not squashed yet also. But they are not deal breakers or critical I would say. I always thought it would be a cool idea if Microsoft had an open source project OS to add to their list of OS models. Probably just wishful thinking on my part...This way stuff like text being oversized/running out of field boxes could be fixed tweaked by the public, and not have to wait.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-19-2017 02:10 AM
    I like Edge but it's still not consistent enough yet. I still open the app to a tab, type in a new search in the address box at the bottom, hit enter and it does nothing or the progress bar moves up then shows me the same tab I'm already on again.
    And why oh why can we not have an option to always show the Home Button like we can on PC. Some people still like having a home page on the browser these days
    Elky64 likes this.
    03-19-2017 03:07 AM
    I get it, I get it. It's still a work in progress. But the reason I'm frustrated is because I feel like MS is spending an inordinate amount of time working on trivial stuff when they don't have the fundamentals squared away.
    But if what you say is literally true, that your phone decides on its own to restart about half of the time you try to take a photo, then there's something wrong because that's clearly not the norm.

So it's not a matter of Windows Mobile being "still a work in progress", because the issue isn't the OS in general. Somethings just wrong on your phone. I will reiterate that if the type of issue you're reporting was due to the OS pretty much everybody would suffer the same restarts. Since that's not the case it's probably the phone or installation in your specific case.

I would try to troubleshoot it from the 'ground up', if you haven't already that is.
    Elky64 likes this.
    03-19-2017 01:33 PM
    I don't understand why they restarted from scratch on mobile.
    I question that too. If you're going to change something then at least make it comparable to where you left off with.
    Last edited by Elky64; 03-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    03-19-2017 01:52 PM
    I have had pretty great success in Edge, only occasional hiccups and very occasional at that. I don't have the blessing of a 950xl however, only the Icon. But I should be worse off not better.
    03-19-2017 02:11 PM
    Edge is still a trainwreck.
    Although not anywhere near perfect I have seen improvements, little too long in the making in my opinion. Anyway, the problem now is the demise of some apps with the need to rely on a web portal. When one is greeted with "Currently the Microsoft Edge browser is not supported" or "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!" now what??? Basically the user gets hit with a double whammy
    03-19-2017 02:19 PM
    Although not anywhere near perfect I have seen improvements, little too long in the making in my opinion. Anyway, the problem now is the demise of some apps with the need to rely on a web portal. When one is greeted with "Currently the Microsoft Edge browser is not supported" or "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!" now what??? Basically the user gets hit with a double whammy
    Is this on mobile, desktop, or both? I don't think I've run into that.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    Elky64 likes this.
    03-19-2017 02:22 PM
    Is this on mobile, desktop, or both? I don't think I've run into that.

Mobile only with desktop being fine. Back in the W8.1M days it wasn't an issue because we had the apps then, not now. It's examples like this where apps are a must.

Should have mentioned the sites... WD's "mycloud.com" and D-link's "mydlink.com". Not like their out of the way companies either but obviously they've dropped support for WM.
    Last edited by Elky64; 03-19-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    03-19-2017 02:52 PM
    Mobile only with desktop being fine. Back in the W8.1M days it wasn't an issue because we had the apps then, not now. It's examples like this where apps are a must.

Should have mentioned the sites... WD's "mycloud.com" and D-link's "mydlink.com". Not like their out of the way companies either but obviously they've dropped support for WM.
    Got it. That's a shame.

Elky64 likes this.
    03-19-2017 03:31 PM
    So it's not a matter of Windows Mobile being "still a work in progress", because the issue isn't the OS in general. Somethings just wrong on your phone. I will reiterate that if the type of issue you're reporting was due to the OS pretty much everybody would suffer the same restarts. Since that's not the case it's probably the phone or installation in your specific case.
    Microsoft has acknowledged the problem on the insider release blogs, so it's not just an isolated incident. This has been a problem for me across two different phones, and on a variety of insider and stable release builds. I've done dozens of hard resets, tried starting from scratch with no backup, trying to write to the phone storage instead of SD card, etc. It's worse on some builds and better on others, but the problem has been persistent for months.

As far as Edge is concerned, a previous commenter succinctly summed up my feelings on the matter: they shouldn't have released a new browser until it was at least as good as the old one. They should have just renamed IE to Edge, refreshed the UI, and then quietly swap out the old browser for the new one later when they finish it.
    03-19-2017 06:02 PM
    Ya for me edge was horrible. I stayed away from it for most of 2016. I like supporting Microsoft efforts and try to use it exclusively, but find myself dropping back to chrome for a reason here or there.
    03-19-2017 07:13 PM
    Microsoft has acknowledged the problem on the insider release blogs, so it's not just an isolated incident.
    Microsoft acknowledged that the insider non-production releases had an issue? Is that what you're saying MS said?
    03-20-2017 03:52 PM
    Yes.

And the same bug exists all the way through the pipeline including the stable production release.

Since when do companies ever publicly acknowledge shortcomings on their final release products? People literally have to die and lawsuits have to be filed before that happens. Microsoft wouldn't even publicly admit how terrible the Windows 10 Mobile RTM version was. So obviously they're not going to put out a press release on a camera bug that they probably don't feel like addressing. They're going to quietly wait until the affected devices are phased out of use since those affected are an even smaller subset of the 0.5% of their smartphone market share.
    03-21-2017 11:14 AM
    Yes.

And the same bug exists all the way through the pipeline including the stable production release.

Since when do companies ever publicly acknowledge shortcomings on their final release products? People literally have to die and lawsuits have to be filed before that happens. Microsoft wouldn't even publicly admit how terrible the Windows 10 Mobile RTM version was. So obviously they're not going to put out a press release on a camera bug that they probably don't feel like addressing. They're going to quietly wait until the affected devices are phased out of use since those affected are an even smaller subset of the 0.5% of their smartphone market share.
    I owned the XL model and it never crashed from the camera app. Was it a specific RM-xxxx model that this affects, fw, single sim models, or what?
    03-21-2017 12:04 PM
    It was a single sim Hong Kong variant, whatever the RM for that would be. It started a few months ago, across all builds, final and insider.

Even with the restarts aside, Camera has been pretty bad in general since W10M launched. This is another one of those instances where I wish they would have stuck with the 8.x version until they ironed everything out.
    03-21-2017 12:58 PM
    I know around november, december 2016, one of the production builds started making my camera app crash occasionally. It crashed on me yesterday. Seems to be factor of how much other things you have going on. I just haven't been able to consistently reproduce it.

Mine is a Canadian Dual sim.

Generally, when it does happen, I find that I'm in a ooo I gotta get that moment, press camera button in whatever I'm doing then one of the following happens:
    • Nothing wrong
    • press the on screen button and it stays gray for a long time.... like it's stuck trying to initiate the shutter
      • From here it may actually finish taking the picture... usually of the floor cause I'm wondering what's going on
      • Camera app Crashes
      • Phone goes and reset.

No it's not everyday or everytime but the feeling does seem to be how much I have going on at the same time.
    03-21-2017 03:30 PM
    Yes.
    Ok, so can I get a link for that then? I'd like to read for myself what the exact issue is.

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard of that has his phone restart half of the time that he tries to take a photo. It'd be nice to read what MS said on that blog.
    03-21-2017 03:34 PM
    Ok, so can I get a link for that then? I'd like to read for myself what the exact issue is.

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard of that has his phone restart half of the time that he tries to take a photo. It'd be nice to read what MS said on that blog.
    A person just chimed in here discussing their own camera restart problem, and a thread about jumping ship to Android happened to catch my eye as I was on my way back to this one. The reason for the jump? Camera reboots. And then ANOTHER person posts on that thread to comment about his own experience with this issue. And these are just the instances that I read about in the last 5 minutes without even actively searching for them. That doesn't include the people who have reported this previously, or the instances I've seen on other W10M phones in real life.

You seem to have made up your mind that this isn't a widespread problem, and that's fine. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise and I don't care enough to try. You can believe that the earth is flat and the sun is 20 miles away for all I care. I'm just saying that this IS a widespread problem, and the anecdotal evidence confirms this even if Microsoft won't.
    03-21-2017 08:53 PM
    It was a single sim Hong Kong variant, whatever the RM for that would be. It started a few months ago, across all builds, final and insider.

Even with the restarts aside, Camera has been pretty bad in general since W10M launched. This is another one of those instances where I wish they would have stuck with the 8.x version until they ironed everything out.
    That would have been the RM-1085 single sim international model. I owned the RM-1116 dual sim. Not much difference in hw (dual sim hw), but the fw revisions are different. Plus you had the Hong Kong variant. I owned the CV-NAM model North American Model. Wonder if the issue boils down to the variant specifically and I bet if you really wanted to to know how wide spread this was you could isolate it that way. Or could just be random and purely user/environment dependent. Maybe it got huffed on the wrong way...who knows.

My alcatel idol 4s started rebooting when I use the finger print sensor right after ending a call to unlock my phone. It will go to unlock then freeze for about 30 sec, then reboot. It was not there before, but something is aggravating it to do that now. It is interesting to see these occurrences that rarely existed on WP8. Show how much more complex this path/road Microsoft is on then most perceive it as. The cool part is is that we can voluntarily be part of it or not. I did not have to buy a W10M phone, but I chose to, so that I could be a part of what Microsoft is doing. Granted the reboot issues should not just continue indefinitely, so I can see the frustration.
    03-21-2017 09:25 PM
    A person just chimed in here discussing their own camera restart problem, and a thread about jumping ship to Android happened to catch my eye as I was on my way back to this one. The reason for the jump? Camera reboots.
    The issue wasn't that the "camera reboots", it was that the phone reboots when trying to take a picture, about half of the time. So is it that the camera or camera app or phone crashes / reboots?

You seem to have made up your mind that this isn't a widespread problem, and that's fine. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise and I don't care enough to try. You can believe that the earth is flat and the sun is 20 miles away for all I care. I'm just saying that this IS a widespread problem, and the anecdotal evidence confirms this even if Microsoft won't.
    So now Microsoft is NOT confirming this? I thought you said MS did?

I get that you're annoyed and venting, but it's far more productive to try to figure out just what the exact problem is than to just say it's MS' mobile operating system that's the problem. If you're having this issue on a 950XL and I'm not seeing it on my 950, then it could be the OS if it's somehow not working with the device, or it could be the device not working properly. Dismissing the entire OS is a bit silly. That would be like blaming Android because of Samsung's 'hot' phones.

It could be an OS issue, could be a software issue, could be a hardware issue....
    anthonyng likes this.
    03-21-2017 09:30 PM
45 12