Surface pro v. Helix

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So, like many others on this forum, I failed at securing a 128gb surface pro due to limited supply (called every BB in Jersey, each only received 1)
Since then, lenovo has announced that the Helix delay won't be as long as they expected and they should start shipping in a few weeks. Lenovo's ThinkPad Helix is Just Weeks Away | Maximum PC

What do you guys think? wait on the pro, or go for the helix?

I understand the helix is more expensive @ 1499 but considering the added cost of the type cover = 1130; and that the helix has 8gb of ram+256gb ssd and the keyboard/battery dock is included, its starting to look very attractive.

thoughts/opinions?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I admit that the Helix with the bigger screen, storage, and battery is EXTREMELY attractive. All said and done, the Surface Pro + Accessories ran me $1300.

However, I also think the Surface Pro is overpriced, so there's no way I'm going to pay another $300+ for a system right now. It's just not in my budget as a consumer OR a professional.

thatguyhugs

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I like the Helix but I'm worried about the connection as I need a very mobile unit with strong connections. I played with one at CES and liked the power of the system but the physical build gave me some doubts. However, I haven't crossed it off of my list quite yet.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I still have my 128GB reservation pass for the San Jose MS store. But I am going to pass on it. My two main reasons is the battery life and the CPU is not as fast as my X220T. The reviews are saying battery life is 3 to 4.5 hours, but as it gets older the battery life will further decrease. For my case, it won't be long enough for my work use.

I'm on the fence now between Helix or just wait for Intel Haswell CPUs. But really have to wait to see how the reviews are for the Helix. I don't have money to burn. I need to make sure the CPU performance is high enough to justify the cost.

I am not too worried about the MSRP price of the Helix. Lenovo has coupons often. I got my X220T when it was released for about $400 off the MSRP price.

Like all things electronic, it is a good idea to skip the first generation hardware. 😁

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Waiting really does seem to be the prudent choice at this point..
a lot of other companies are coming out with great specs

like the razer edge ...i7 + dedicated graphics for 1299

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This Best Buy fiasco is certainly going to be bad for Surface Pro sales. I am now almost convinced to wait for the second generation.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
ya ...i've decided to wait for the helix
better everything; display, ram, storage, processor, keyboard, battery ..etc.

even if u only get the i5 and dont splurge for the i7 ..you'll be getting the new low voltage i5 that microsoft missed out on
it comes out early march, and february is a short month :winktongue:

as far as price goes ...i was able to negotiate a TON off my w520 a while back when i bought that ..so I dont think $1500 is going to be the actual cost

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Waiting really does seem to be the prudent choice at this point..
a lot of other companies are coming out with great specs

like the razer edge ...i7 + dedicated graphics for 1299
Yup...that's what I'm gonna do. I really want a full windows 8 tablet but I'm not gonna stress over the Surface. Also heard that Intel introduces its Haswell (sp?) chips later this year so I suspect there'll be a whole new wave of Tablets after that. I'm in no hurry, my Dell Laptop running XP:shocked: should last another few more months.

njblackberry

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I will be testing both for work, and maybe the HP Revolve.
So far, I am really liking the Surface Pro; fast boot, good performance. Haven't used it long enough to condemn the battery - worked fine on battery for me on day one.
Runs everything I've thrown at it fine. Got a bunch coming for work tomorrow or Tuesday (damn snowstorm) :)

The Helix looks (and reads) great. Seems more of an "enterprise" class machine (with a dock). 50% more costly may have some bearing on any decision to go forward. But it looks great.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So, like many others on this forum, I failed at securing a 128gb surface pro due to limited supply (called every BB in Jersey, each only received 1)
Since then, lenovo has announced that the Helix delay won't be as long as they expected and they should start shipping in a few weeks. Lenovo's ThinkPad Helix is Just Weeks Away | Maximum PC

What do you guys think? wait on the pro, or go for the helix?

I understand the helix is more expensive @ 1499 but considering the added cost of the type cover = 1130; and that the helix has 8gb of ram+256gb ssd and the keyboard/battery dock is included, its starting to look very attractive.

thoughts/opinions?

I am sorry but any store that claims they only received one Surface Pro is simply not telling the truth. They either only received the not for resale demo and do not have actual stock yet; received none at all; or got a standard minimum lot shipment. No supplier is shipping a single unit as the retail supply for a store. Stores pay for that inventory and I can assure you Microsoft is not selling stock to retailers in quantities of one. In addition, last time I checked, shippers in the retail channel for manufacturers discount on volume. If it did not arrive by contracted shipping, does anyone really think Microsoft stuck single Surface Pro's in the equivalent of FedEx or UPS boxes for every BB and Staples for sale? A not for resale demo may arrive by exceptional shipping methods but those are (as the word defines) exceptions.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
How do you get the Lenovo coupons? I wouldn't mind having a few of those.

Go here: Communication Preferences | Lenovo | (US) and sign up. They will E-mail it to you.

Another way to get discount is to sign up through different organizations. Lenovo has different discounts for students/faculty, employee discount and etc.. They have this one type, Barnes & Noble Gold, which has the best discounts I've seen. At least in the past. I haven't bought anything from Lenovo since my X220T. You can sign up through here: Barnes and Noble Gold | Lenovo | (US) .

Sometimes, coupons are stackable with the B&N Gold account as well.

Another way is to go here: Lenovo Forum, IBM Thinkpads . Often times, when new systems are released, there will be many people asking around to see what are the best discounts. So it's pretty useful.

At the end of the day, I'm not worried about the MSRP prices on Lenovo products.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
ya ...i've decided to wait for the helix
better everything; display, ram, storage, processor, keyboard, battery ..etc.

even if u only get the i5 and dont splurge for the i7 ..you'll be getting the new low voltage i5 that microsoft missed out on
it comes out early march, and february is a short month :winktongue:

as far as price goes ...i was able to negotiate a TON off my w520 a while back when i bought that ..so I dont think $1500 is going to be the actual cost

The Helix will have the same i5 as the Surface Pro. It will not have a Haswell chip as they aren't even out yet.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The Helix is a different category of device. It fits more in the transportable category in that if you need to have a keyboard with you -what Lenovo calls the clamshell, you're looking at hauling a 5.5-lb load. That's 2.3 pounds heavier than my Toshiba Portege which includes a 13.3" display, 640GBs of storage, and a DVD drive. 5.5 lbs is So-20th-century. And, if you take just the Helix tablet, you don't have the option of a super-light cover that types, nor a buit-in kick stand. So, you'll need one of those case/stand accessories to take it in and out of regularly. I had the RT for 6 weeks: the kickstand is the most underated feature. Every choice involves compromising, and there will always be something cooler or better coming 3/6/9/12 months out. Currently, the Surface tablet is the most compelling hardware design, and makes the optimal portability + power case. Enjoy all your devices.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The Helix will have the same i5 as the Surface Pro. It will not have a Haswell chip as they aren't even out yet.

the helix has the new low voltage i5, so its not the same as the surface

and i think i'm going to opt for the i7 anyway

plus, anyone who has used a thinkpad keyboard before knows they are the best in the industry

I am sorry but any store that claims they only received one Surface Pro is simply not telling the truth. They either only received the not for resale demo and do not have actual stock yet; received none at all; or got a standard minimum lot shipment. No supplier is shipping a single unit as the retail supply for a store. Stores pay for that inventory and I can assure you Microsoft is not selling stock to retailers in quantities of one. In addition, last time I checked, shippers in the retail channel for manufacturers discount on volume. If it did not arrive by contracted shipping, does anyone really think Microsoft stuck single Surface Pro's in the equivalent of FedEx or UPS boxes for every BB and Staples for sale? A not for resale demo may arrive by exceptional shipping methods but those are (as the word defines) exceptions.

I walked into best buy, he said they got 1 and sold it 10 minutes after they opened
...so sorry, but you're wrong, this was all a marketing stunt by M$ to create the illusion of strong demand

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos