T-Mobile - Internet Sharing Broken

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep; I even have those memorized.

So I have a Yellow AT&T unlocked and using on T-Mobile USA.

Back when I used to do ROM flashing on my Lumia 900, I noticed that sometimes Nokia had different ROMs for different colors of phone - why, I don't know. But I'm wondering if my phone has a type of ROM dedicated to the Yellow that is getting in the way of this feature.

In the end it's ok; I use it 99% for updating my Kindle on the road. That I can also do from any Starbucks Wifi; at least Web, Picture Messaging and all other important things are working. I am just trying to get this to work since it's last on my list..

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I too have the yellow one. I'm at a loss why yours isn't working. I'm in a refarmed and LTE area (Portland), maybe there's just something about the coverage where you live :-/

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
OKAY.... Something else weird happened. My signal dropped to 4G and guess what - My Internet Sharing worked FINE. Connected a device, ran it, all was working great. Disconnected and reconnected; and everything was great.
Then.. my signal went back to LTE and my Internet Sharing is broken again..

So now I know that it IS possible on my phone to do..

Now for the next wave of research..

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
My Internet Sharing is also not working. I have tried with and without the manual APN settings. LTE works fine. I've never been in an area where it drops down to 3G yet.

What is the Access Point that everyone is talking about?

Any new solutions to this problem?

Thank you!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My Internet Sharing is also not working. I have tried with and without the manual APN settings. LTE works fine. I've never been in an area where it drops down to 3G yet.

What is the Access Point that everyone is talking about?

Any new solutions to this problem?

Thank you!

I'm wondering if previous comments here are the key - the quality of LTE coverage might have something to do with this? Too bad I can't just fly to Portland to test this - they seem to be cranking along fine..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Deleted my video - go to page 2 and follow Trooter's instructions!

His method uses only the standard features and settings of the phone without the invasiveness and risks inherent to the field test method.

Get a foreign MicroSIM and follow Trooter's instructions TO THE LETTER and you will be a very happy camper!

Last edited:

CaFe88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me!

okay - i am one happy camper now :)

in my case for some reason, this just won't work without first disabling lte, which is eliminated from the phone's menu by at&t. Thanks to another thread on this board, there is a way to do this.. And now here's how:

YouTube

thanks to everyone here who reached out to help..

Afternote - thought i'd mention too i shot this video with my tripod-mounted 808 pureview!

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The darnedest thing, everything was working for a week, and now without change my internet sharing stopped working a few days ago. Settings in AP have gone unchanged, and mms still works. Not sure what's going on, but the service mode trick doesn't work either.

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I want to tell u how to unlock Lumia 1020 AT&T or any operator sharing internet, the only thing u need to do is

1.- You need to configure ur Nokia Lumia 1020 AT&T in USA COUNTRY, and this is in Settings, Language+Country and there in Country Select UNITED STATES, and behind u will see a bottom that says: Needs to Restart, u will need to restart it.

2.- Go to Market and search this app: access point
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3.- You can install app froms USA, like Pandora too.

4.- When finished now u can change your country ( for example, im from Mexico) and restart again (if ur from USA dont do this step)

5.- At last u need to go SETTINGS and search ACCESS POINT (Punto de acceso en espanol) and u need to configure ur DATA SETTINGs and MMS settings for ur operator (APN TELCEL, ROGERS, T-Mobile, etc..)

6.- When u finished u need to ACTIVATE that profile

7.- At last the only thing u need to do is to go to Tethered Wifi or Conexion Compartida and activate it, this is a thing u need to see:

When u activate Tethered, i will see how many persons can connect to ur Nokia Lumia 1020, if says 5 persons, u hav AT&T locked and u will not share ur internet, BUT if says 8 persons, congratulations!! u unlocked tethered connection!!!

And thats all! i do it with my Nokia Lumia 1020 At&t and im from Monterrey and works!!!

if u need help just send me an email: sidemzuga@hotmail.com

See ya!

engreeks1

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Just tried mine - works in 3G still. I'm in the LA area.
Hi Antiochian,

I'm trying to get this to work for my 1020 as well, but I'm struggling getting past the "you need to upgrade" sign when I turn on internet sharing. How did you get past that "need to upgrade" warning?

I think I've installed access point (at least I see the access point menu in settings).

I also tried to follow the instructions in your video but no luck.

I've manually set the APN settings to the following:
Access Point Name: fast.tmobile.com
Username
Password
Proxy Address:
Proxy Port:
Network Type: IPv4v6
Authentication Type

MMS APN:

MMS Access Point Name: fast.tmobile.com
Username
Password
Proxy Address: 216.155.165.50
Proxy Port: 8080
MMSC Address: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Network Type: IPv4v6
Authentication Type

engreeks1

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
access point is the problem. i tried without access point it worked then i installed access point and got what u described. hard reset the phone and try adding the apns manually. that worked for me

Can anyone confirm that the issue is with access point? Should I uninstall accesspoint and then follow the steps in the video? If so, how do I uninstall access point?

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nice find! I have a UK MicroSIM on order from eBay. This looks promising enough to risk $15.00 on the SIM. Can't wait to try.

Trooter definitely has a different solution that appears to take into account some knowledge of the inner workings of Access Point. I stopped trying to monkey with field test. Worked for a few months then jacked my phone, so after hard resetting it I had just given up on internet sharing until reading through Trooter's post.

Thanks much - I'll post when I have received the SIM and made my attempt..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
WOW - Trooters, You are the genius of the year!!

After my phone jammed after 3 mos of using the field test method, I had completely given up on using the internet sharing feature until seeing your post. Your method was different enough and seemed to reflect an understanding of the background of how everything works together.
So I obtained an O2 UK chip from ebay which cost all of about $15 USD. It was in my mailbox when I arrived home.
I followed your instructions to the LETTER and everything works now!

I appreciate this - and I like your method since nothing in it violates or involves using anything but the normal functions and settings of the phone, so even if someone goofs it up, there doesn't seem to be the bricking risk or danger that follows with the field test method.

Again - THANK YOU for this - it was the only function on my phone that I could get to work in the end until you came up with this.

BRAVO!!

Hey if anyone here is near Burbank/NoHo in the Los Angeles area and needs help with this, buy me a coffee at SBux or Republic of Pie and I'll bring my O2 Chip and try to get you up and running!

Last edited:

engreeks1

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow this is awesome. It works for unlocked ATT lumia 1020 on T-mobile's $30/month prepaid plan (the one available at walmart only). Thank you trooters!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb