Tethering and T-Mobile

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
How is tethering handled on T-Mobile? Is it enabled on all plans and deducted from your allotted high-speed cap?

I ask because someone at work finally bought a new T-Mobile Band12 capable phone and demonstrated that reception in our work building is great w/ it, with LTE coverage throughout. Before, T-mo reception was abysmal. I am eyeing the $40 prepaid plan that has unlimited talk and text and 3GB high-speed data. Nowhere does their documentation spell out, explicitly, if tethering is included or additional. It looks like they are trying to pull an AT&T and hide their tethering stance...

Side-point/question: I currently have an AT&T Lumia 640 running Win10Mo Insiders' Preview.. I'm guessing that this phone isn't Band 12 capable, and that I'd be better off getting an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL w/ Win10Mo running natively.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
From the T-Mobile website:
Full speeds available up to monthly allotment, including tethering (Unlimited on-smartphone 4G LTE data option includes 14GB of tethering); then, slowed to up to 2G speeds through bill cycle. Certain uses, e.g., some speed test apps, may not count against high-speed data allotment or have speeds reduced after allotment reached. U.S. roaming and on-network data allotments differ.

I tethered over 5GB on my 5GB/Unlimited $30 a month prepaid data plan once.
I was promptly warned that I was over the limit.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I saw that in the micro-fine-print at the bottom... They certainly don't call it out as a feature...

So, by reading between the lines, tethering is available on all plans, it sounds like? Thanks.

I think T-Mobile and AT&T are reluctant to mention out loud that they have tethering, b/c they're afraid everyone and their mom will start using it. Not sure how Cricket gets off not including tethering, and charging $10 additional a month to have the ability to use your existing phone data pool for tethering.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that this phone isn't Band 12 capable, and that I'd be better off getting an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL w/ Win10Mo running natively.

Hate to say it...
Be careful choosing the Alcatel as T-Mobiles only Windows deal.
I have the Fierce and can't say I'm jumping for joy after using it.
IMO another brand/model unlocked or a differing platform might be best for now until T-Mobile decides that the Winphone user has money to spend too.

Good luck!

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hate to say it...
Be careful choosing the Alcatel as T-Mobiles only Windows deal.
I have the Fierce and can't say I'm jumping for joy after using it.
IMO another brand/model unlocked or a differing platform might be best for now until T-Mobile decides that the Winphone user has money to spend too.

Thanks for the warning... I'm gonna stick w/ AT&T/Cricket for right now, because, as much as I'm not crazy about their pricing/customer treatment, they seem to be the only one actually supporting and promoting Windows Phone/Mobile the most. I didn't realize that T-mo only had the 1 phone... I ditched Boost Mobile for that reason (they recently dropped their only Windows Phone...).

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Did you see that Cricket announced that they'll soon have an unlimited data plan?

Cricket Wireless Spreads Smiles with New $70 Unlimited Plan on a Bigger Network than T-Mobile

A couple of my colleagues use Cricket, and I was just chatting with one of them about it. He's curious to see how they'll address tethering.

I did see that! It's a little too rich for my blood. I typically use around 500MB a month. My usage is higher than normal, because of my new phone, at 900MB, but 2.5GB is plenty. I can see how this addition would be nice for other people, though.

Having tethering would be really nice, but, not sure how does Cricket get off charging $10 just for the privilege of adding tethering whereas AT&T GoPhone, AT&T Contract, T-mobile on all plans, and I think Verizon prepaid, and Boost Mobile just have tethering included, no additional charge. And also, unless they reformulate their plans, if I understand it correctly, Cricket only allows you to add tethering if you're on the $50 5GB plan or higher - not the Basic 2.5GB $40 plan that I'm on. That's asinine, if you ask me...

A coworker was laughing at me, saying that I'm paying more for less service, since I left Boost Mobile, paying $30/mo for uncapped speeds, unlimited music streaming, and hotspot included, for data cap that starts from 2GB growing to 5GB.. (And at our workplace, Sprint/Boost gets better coverage than AT&T/Cricket)... But what I am getting for my extra $5/mo? My choice in phones...

Windows 10 Mobile. The choice of discerning wireless users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon