Which is cheaper to lease or buy your phone?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I were just talking about this. It seems to me that it may make more sense to lease phones now rather than buy it outright.

I'm on TMO and I'm thinking about what phone to get next. I'm currently using a Note 5 (I sold my 950 due to the app gap) but it's beginning to show its age. But I recently learned that even after I finish paying it off later this year (I'm on TMO JUMP) I'd still have to pay an additional fee to finally own it. By then, is it really worth it?

Most modern phones age quickly (think speed, battery life, etc.) The only exception (IMO) to this, honestly, would be the iPhone as its premium hardware tends to hold its value better (but I am not a big fan overall). So by the time you've bought one outright, you may have to buy another sooner than later due to age.

My point is I'm beginning to wonder if it's just cheaper to JUMP and continue leasing phones. Im not sure though.

Any thoughts?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
buying a phone and paying full price up front is the norm in most parts of the world and that is what usually works best. Pay everything now and use it for the next 3-5 years. I bought my first feature phone in 2010 and it still works till date. My first lumia phone worked for 2 years and I was very happy before it got stolen. Both times I paid up everything in one go.

Paying for a phone in installments doesn't make much sense especially when the phone cost less than 100USD. If the phone is very expensive to begin with, such as the Samsun S7 which costs 700USD here, and you want to pay with monthly insallments for 2 years, then you really need to ask yourself why you're buying such an expensive phone instead of one that costs 150USD or less

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
buying a phone and paying full price up front is the norm in most parts of the world and that is what usually works best. Pay everything now and use it for the next 3-5 years. I bought my first feature phone in 2010 and it still works till date. My first lumia phone worked for 2 years and I was very happy before it got stolen. Both times I paid up everything in one go.

Paying for a phone in installments doesn't make much sense especially when the phone cost less than 100USD. If the phone is very expensive to begin with, such as the Samsun S7 which costs 700USD here, and you want to pay with monthly insallments for 2 years, then you really need to ask yourself why you're buying such an expensive phone instead of one that costs 150USD or less

Oh...I'm not asking what I should do. I'm just asking the question more generally.

You are right about asking yourself if you really do need the $700 phone. However, let's be honest, you really can't get a good non-Lumia phone for $150, at least in the US. That was the strength of the Lumia line.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think if you are the type to change phones often or you prefer to stick to one brand (i.e. iPhone upgrade programs at the Apple Store and other carriers), it makes sense.

If you want to hold on to your phone for a good while, I think buying your phone makes more sense. Personally, I value the freedom that owning my own phone outright brings, even though I'm a chronic switcher. It's nice to have one less thing to have to pay for. Additionally for someone like me, I also value having access to retailers such as B&H Photo that allow you to try phones for 30 days. I have changed my mind more than once in 14 day return periods.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Since we switched to T-mobile from Verizon, I have bought the phones outright. Im not a person who needs the latest phone the minute it's out, so I have bought our phones as manufactured refurbs or from sellers on WC.
I gave to agree that not being held hostage by a carrier with early termination fees and phone leases was one of the reasons we switched and that Verizon was getting out of control expensive for the seven lines we have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05