AT&T Customer Service strikes again!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
They had to get one last shot in, before letting me settle into enjoy the new phones we purchased.

For my ongoing saga (and many other people's as well) related to even getting the phones that I had pre-ordered early in the day on Wed, Nov 7, see this thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/201186.htm Needless to say, just getting the phones that I had ordered and getting a straight bit of information out of anyone in the company was a complete exercise in futility.

Now that I actually have the phones, have mine set up pretty much the way I want it, and am starting to get comfortable with the switch from Android to WP8, there was one last thing to deal with. My pre-order was so jacked up and I was so tired of being told a different story by every ATT rep I spoke to that I ended up cancelling my pre-order and just bought the phones at a local store. However, before doing that, I made sure that I could return the 1 phone that was sent and was told by the customer service rep that the store would accept the return directly without a restocking fee as long as the package was not opened. I double checked this a couple of times because I wanted to make sure.

Fast forward to today. I received the phone that was supposed to be delivered by the 9th, yesterday afternoon and I went to return the phone to the store today. First, I go to the store where I purchased my phones and was told "nope, you have to go to a corporate store for that, we are a franchise and cannot take it here"... OK, so now I drive across town to the corporate store and get told "nope, we cannot take it back without charging you a restocking fee of $36.00". I called the customer service people back and the person there tells me that some stores will and some stores will not do this.

This of course, is completely the opposite of what I was told to begin with which was that ALL stores were required to do this as long as the package was not opened.

So basically, I was lied to yet again by AT&T customer service and was sent all over town because of that lie. This company has the worst, and I mean absolute worst, customer service I have ever experienced. When my contract is up, I am gone. I don't care what damn phone they have or how much I want it. I'll start raising a brood of carrier pigeons before I give them more of my money.

30207757.jpg

Say what you want about Verizon, but when I moved to an area where Sprint had lousy coverage, Verizon made it very easy for me to switch. Their customer service was spot on and I had absolutely zero problems from them. I know they get a bad rap from some, but they were great to me.

So anyway, there it is. I guess I just needed to vent.

Regards,

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
They're called the Death Star for a reason.

You could also try T-Mobile. By the time your contract is up, T-Mo should be done re-farming their towers to work on AT&T's network.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been a long time AT&T customer, and will probably continue to be.

But I agree that their customer service is horrid.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It just depends on who you get. Your same experience could have happend with any carrier or company.

I know that must suck. At least we all have options.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is awful for customer service, no doubt about it. I got better treatment from Verizon (although their policies suck when handling errors caused by them).

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You'll find just as many people complain about any cell phone company. I have always have gotten great service from AT&T. Similar things have happened to me but they always got resolved. In this case I would have returned it to the store and made a call when the bill arrived. The charges would be credited and usually they would throw some other credit in for the inconvenience.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've dealt with Verizon and they are the only morons I've actually had to raise my voice and demand manager after manager because of an issue they created and tried blaming me for not returning a a replacement device. Never again.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It just depends on who you get.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you here. In the past week, I have spoken with or chatted with probably a dozen people at At&t. I have always been polite and respectful and to a person, I have gotten misinformation and the run around.

Heck, I got a text today asking me how my customer service experience has been and when I gave them a poor rating they asked why. I responded by saying that I would be delighted to speak to someone about it and highlight the issues that I had experienced. I haven't heard from them since.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess my take is, if ATT customer service is horrid to non existent...why pay higher prices when you can go with MVNOs for half the price that ALSO have no customer service? At least you aren't paying for useless overhead!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've always had good luck with AT&T Customer Service over the phone. I did switch to T-Mobile for a couple of years due to some crazy roaming charges I got on my AT&T bill when i was visiting my mother in law in far northern Minnesota that never got corrected.

I've had bad experiences with AT&T stores. The last issue I had is when i went back to AT&T and tried to get a SIM card. The AT&T store said I had to sign a two year contract. I refused because I owned my own GSM phone. I left the store and ordered the SIM card over the phone with AT&T

I guess my take is, if ATT customer service is horrid to non existent...why pay higher prices when you can go with MVNOs for half the price that ALSO have no customer service? At least you aren't paying for useless overhead!

Sorry for going for going off topic here, but I think you have the most knowledge on MVNO's. Have you heard if any of the AT&T MVNO's will be adding LTE any time in the future?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Strong speculation that TING will get LTE access on Sprint first, I know that's not saying much since we are talking about Sprint. Also PagePlus may get it on Verizon. They have been going UP in pricing instead of down and the Digirati are thinking that's because they will unveil LTE access soon. Not helpful though for us SIM swappers. Not heard anything to put stock in on the GSM side. I can speculate safely though that GoPhone will get is first (though not a real MVNO I know). The higher priced ATT MVNOs with specific caps would be my guess after that (think RedPocket and H20). Tracfone won't get it unless they create a new brand with higher prices and specific caps.

The good news though is I'm seeing higher speeds on HSPA+ since ATT activated LTE here, shifting all those LTE capable customers off congested towers.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To be fair to AT&T, most of the people I've spoken to on the phone and chat have been very polite. They try. They just are clueless because AT&T doesn't give them the tools or information they need. And after talking to them for a while, it's apparent that they have to stick to script.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I received a follow up text from AT&T yesterday afternoon asking about my Customer Service experience. I filled out the survey and was texted again asking why I responded in the manner that I did. I replied that I could not really fit it into a text but would be OK with speaking to someone. They thanked me for my comments and I figured that was the last I would hear from them. Then, early this morning, I received a call from AT&T asking for details about the experience.

As it turns out, the one person throughout the entire saga of my dealing with the issue of getting my phones and returning the one which was sent out who was actually correct was the lady who told me the phone was back-ordered and that I WAS able to return the one which was sent to the store without paying the restock fee. I had a fairly long conversation (10 minutes or so) with the person who called today and she promised to follow up with the manager of the local store where I was not only given wrong info but treated rudely and also to send out a mass e-mail to all CSR's about the right of return to the store, instead of via mail, for online orders.

So, I am hopeful that at least someone cared a bit in the company, and that if enough of us make our voices heard on the issue, things could possibly improve a bit going forward. We'll have to see on the second part I suppose. I told her about the threads which were ongoing on this forum and elsewhere about the problems with AT&T customer service and she asked for the website name so that she could follow up. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the room of some managers reading these forums.

I'm not looking for anyone to get canned, and I didn't want free crap. I just want to get decent service and accurate info when I show up or call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa