Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    Doesn't look like a bad deal. I might even look into jumping ship. Aio will obviously run opn AT&T's network but also offer 4G/LTE speeds. And right now they have the Lumia 620 for $99.

Aio Wireless to offer nationwide prepaid cellular service in September

Aio Wireless
    Thanked by:
    stmav 
    stmav likes this.

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    I tried to look up their plans but it wouldn't show it unless I tried entering a zip within its current service area, which I am too lazy to look up.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I still have a little over a year to go on my 920. Too much to jump now, but will keep an eye on it. Maybe for the wife as well, she'll be up with Sprint sooner.
    Developer

PIN
    Email
    If the price was $50 a month, I would probably switch. But I'm paying $45 a month with Straight Talk right now for AT&T service. Sure, there's no LTE, but I have reached speeds over 6Mbps with HSPA+, so I'm pretty happy there as well. I don't want to pay $10 more just for LTE.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I might do this actually. The $70/month (more data than my current 3GB/month) for about $20 less and about $200 for ETF. Over a year, that'll be (alittle) cheaper and I can use my 920 on it... I just wonder if it'll have things like Tethering...
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    I would bet on AT&T killing tethering options for Aio customers.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I don't have it now, just wishful thinking.

Global Posts
    2,091 Global Posts
    The only plan I'd go for is the $70 a month because of the 7GB. Instead of the $55 plan, I'd go for the $60 GoPhone plan with 2GB of data, and you can another 1GB for $10 more. After getting discounts on refills, my monthly cost is $52.20 a month.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    2,614 Global Posts
    WhiteNiteLite & HeyCori

I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. The $55 not only gives you quasi-LTE (throttled at 8 megs), but tethering is allowed. I got my $99 L620 last week and I'm very impressed with the network, the CS and the phone itself. I had Straight Talk last year and I bailed when the data service started to really suck. Unlimited means nothing when that's what you're getting, nothing.

It's weird because when I do a speed test, it always shows my ISP as being "Jasper Services", not AT&T. Put the AIO SIM in a locked AT&T phone and it asks for an unlock code. Put an AT&T SIM in my 620 and it's the same story. There is definitely a difference because when my company iPhone 5 shows "searching", my 620 has 4 bars. I don't think the Nokia radios are THAT good.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info about tethering and LTE.

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    stay away from this company, this is all the bad policies of ATT with a new coat of paint slapped on.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Been considering this as my 920 on Tmo doesn't get the best reception in the places that matter most, my home and at work. @fatclue_98, what kind of speeds are you getting from a speed test and how does data speed feel in actual use? Is there anything specific that had to be done to enable tethering? Cant find any mention of it on their site. Thanks.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Global Posts
    2,614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Been considering this as my 920 on Tmo doesn't get the best reception in the places that matter most, my home and at work. @fatclue_98, what kind of speeds are you getting from a speed test and how does data speed feel in actual use? Is there anything specific that had to be done to enable tethering? Cant find any mention of it on their site. Thanks.
    Speeds vary of course, Miami has slower speeds than most places because of the bandwidth traffic day or night. My iPhone 5 has LTE from AT&T and D/L speeds are usually about 2200 kbps. My L620 has faux G and it's usually around 1650. As for tethering, turn on Internet Sharing, set your device's SSID & password. That's it. No hacking, no muss, no fuss.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Speeds vary of course, Miami has slower speeds than most places because of the bandwidth traffic day or night. My iPhone 5 has LTE from AT&T and D/L speeds are usually about 2200 kbps. My L620 has faux G and it's usually around 1650. As for tethering, turn on Internet Sharing, set your device's SSID & password. That's it. No hacking, no muss, no fuss.

Thanks, thats a step up from the 0.31MB download I got about 30 mins ago at my office! Tmo has never been good here so thats to be expected but it still spoils the advantage of having a phone like the 920. As long as I can get a consistent connection at a good enough speed for browsing and the occasional tethering it may work out ok.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    How are the speeds after throttling? I spend so much time on WiFi, that I'm strongly considering the $40 option (which you apparently can get if you bring your own phone).

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Just did, nothing in particular stands out. Care to elaborate?

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    They advertise themselves as a contract free carrier. However officially per policy you must have service with them for 4 months to get a phone that you paid for, clear of subsidies, to get it unlocked. That is a form of contract plain and simple. I'm very fortunate I suppose that my 620 was unlocked, and it should be the case for all of their phones, but they are running a different network ID on ATTs infrastructure just so they can foist these shady policies on you.

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Doesn't Tmo do the same, requiring 90 days service to unlock their phones? Read a few comments about how hard it was to get the 521 unlocked from them. Won't affect me though as I'll be using my 920.

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    Maybe hard but not impossible. Plus you can buy an unlock code for tmo. Not so for aio, yet.

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Well I think it still works for me as I won't be buying their device, getting real tired of network errors and poor reception with Tmo.

Global Posts
    2,614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    How are the speeds after throttling? I spend so much time on WiFi, that I'm strongly considering the $40 option (which you apparently can get if you bring your own phone).
    Those are the speeds I'm getting. The speeds they throttle to are 8MB for LTE and 4MB for 4G (HSPA).
    Thanked by:
    Kebero 

Global Posts
    2,614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    They advertise themselves as a contract free carrier. However officially per policy you must have service with them for 4 months to get a phone that you paid for, clear of subsidies, to get it unlocked. That is a form of contract plain and simple. I'm very fortunate I suppose that my 620 was unlocked, and it should be the case for all of their phones, but they are running a different network ID on ATTs infrastructure just so they can foist these shady policies on you.
    It's not free of subsidies at the $99 price point. That's a $180 phone that they're offering at half cost in exchange for 4 months worth of service. They're not doing anything that other MVNOs do already. Buy a Boost phone - stuck with Boost. Buy a Virgin phone - stuck with Virgin. Same goes for Verizon Prepaid-branded, Straight Talk-branded, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. If you have a gripe with AT&T, I get it. But don't spread misinformation without the proper backup.

Global Posts
    2,614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Well I think it still works for me as I won't be buying their device, getting real tired of network errors and poor reception with Tmo.
    The way I look at it, $55 for 2gigs of data is slightly high. But if you consider that T-Mo has a plan that's only $5 cheaper but throws you into EDGE after only 500 megs, it's not a bad deal. I live in a re-farmed area but the coverage is horrible unless you're standing in the middle of the street. Page Plus has the same exact plan at the same price but is relegated to CDMA 3G devices only so unless you really like the Trophy, there are no other WP choices available. As I stated earlier, Miami is a big city with congestion issues and my speeds are probably slower than most other places. I've always said that Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    The way I look at it, $55 for 2gigs of data is slightly high. But if you consider that T-Mo has a plan that's only $5 cheaper but throws you into EDGE after only 500 megs, it's not a bad deal. I live in a re-farmed area but the coverage is horrible unless you're standing in the middle of the street. Page Plus has the same exact plan at the same price but is relegated to CDMA 3G devices only so unless you really like the Trophy, there are no other WP choices available. As I stated earlier, Miami is a big city with congestion issues and my speeds are probably slower than most other places. I've always said that Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency.
    I agree about the coverage, literally I can walk 3ft within my house and go from 2-3 bars of EDGE to 1-4 bars of HSPA+, I have to have LTE turned off because it seems to have a problem switching to slower speeds in the areas i'm in. So being capped at max 8Mbps download shouldn't be too much different. I definitely like Tmo's pricing for what they offer but I have used them for years and the coverage has not improved and that is really what counts and when i had att I had better coverage in the same areas so I will most likely give Aio a go when they go nationwide.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Those are the speeds I'm getting. The speeds they throttle to are 8MB for LTE and 4MB for 4G (HSPA).
    That doesn't sound too bad. I wonder if that's what I'd see in Broward after passing 250MB on the $40 plan. The idea of going from $160/mo to $80/mo for my wife and I is more and more appealing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast