AT&T unlock request denied!

psamf24

May 24, 2013
Visit site
at&t said i can not unlock my own phone until i have used it for 6 months of service with them even regardless if it is my or not..... i am on a pre paid plan and i need to unlock it now any help?Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.39.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.44.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.48.48 AM.png

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: AT&T unlock request denied!

Welcome to the world of ATT unlocking policy. You are out of luck, well, for the most part. You may be able to get it unlocked via an online service or random third party store but prices vary. I saw $20 once online, $70 at another place...

This is what you get for buying from them unfortunately. If I had to urgently get my ATT 920 unlocked now, I'd check stuff like cellunlocker.net(???) and if that fails, look to buy some other unlocked phone.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the world of ATT unlocking policy. You are out of luck, well, for the most part. You may be able to get it unlocked via an online service or random third party store but prices vary. I saw $20 once online, $70 at another place...

This is what you get for buying from them unfortunately. If I had to urgently get my ATT 920 unlocked now, I'd check stuff like cellunlocker.net(???) and if that fails, look to buy some other unlocked phone.

There is nothing in the unlocking law that says you must be a current customer of ATT. ATT is the only one that has the unlock codes for ATT branded phones. The law says customers have a right to unlock their phones if all obligations have been fulfilled. Therefore ATT HAS to unlock the phone. I don't care WHERE the phone came from or what network it wants to be used on. If it is an ATT branded phone they HAVE to unlock it now.

They better get their act in gear or they are setting themselves up for class action. That's the great benefit about NOT being an ATT customer is that you are not bound to their stupid arbitration terms.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
what i hate is that there is no way to dispute via their online unlock portal. I have unlocked 1 phone last year and have had every unlock request denied after that... despite being a current customer AND up to date with payments.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I submitted my new 1020 that I payed in full a few days earlier and got denied on their portal - It said I reached a limit of unlocking, although it was the first time I've ever asked them to do so.

I contacted them via chat and referred them to the unlock case and the support rep was able to get the request through and approved since the phone wasn't subsidized and I've never asked them to unlock a phone before.

With that said, I have been a customer for over three years and no longer on a contract (month-to-month now), so they may have been more willing to cooperate and keep me happy, opposed to to someone who's never used them before. I didn't plan on leaving AT&T either, but wanted the ability to use other SIMs if needed.

The FCC guidelines state that all the guidelines don't fully go into effect/enforcement until Feb. 2015, so it may be possible that AT&T doesn't have to serve those who are not or haven't been customers. Their website's terms for devices unlocks specify that you need to be a current or former AT&T customer and your phone must be paid off.

If you can't get AT&T to cooperate, you may want to try T-Mobile themselves. Tell them you want to be their customer, but you have an AT&T phone you want to bring with you. I've heard of some cases where carriers will unlock others' phones so they can be used on their network. A last resort may be to use a well-reviewed third party. You'll have to pay, but the reputable ones tend to give good service (although I personally can't attest to them as I've never used them).

In general if you are getting a new phone I'd recommend getting it factory unlocked, if possible. You'll save yourself a headache down the road.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow you messed up brah.

You suppose to say you are going out of the country and you need your phone unlocked so you can use it in like Vietnam or the Philippines. I know cause my folks do it all the time.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow you messed up brah.

You suppose to say you are going out of the country and you need your phone unlocked so you can use it in like Vietnam or the Philippines. I know cause my folks do it all the time.

That used to work, but no more. All requests must now be made online.

My LG G3 is under contract, so I was denied for that device. I just told AT&T I've switched to my Lumia 1020 and gave the IMEI. One rep told me it would need to be on my acct for 6 months before being unlock-eligible. Another confirmed the phone is now on my acct and said I can make the request right away. I'll wait until tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. I think the 1st rep was right.

BTW, that first rep kept saying "Lumina". Fr|gg'n id|ot!

In general if you are getting a new phone I'd recommend getting it factory unlocked, if possible. You'll save yourself a headache down the road.

This, pretty much. With this new unlock policy, I've likely bought my last AT&T locked device.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How utterly pathetic. AT&T are disgusting greedy pricks. I had my 925 for probably just shy of three months when I requested an unlock code for it from T-Mobile. No questions, no beefs, no problem and I got the code mere days later.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty much a crapshoot.

I bought a 920 off of ebay and requested unlock thru the portal. Denied because it was a "business" device. I had to call in to business support and explain it to them and they added the IMEI to my account somehow. Then I requested thru the portal again. This time, denied because I'm under contract (for my other phone I bought from them a year or so ago, not this one obviously). So I launched the tech support chat, explained it all again, they opened a case with the unlock team and two days later they emailed me the code.

But to the OP, you didn't carefully read the obligations the phone was bought under. Their policy is to not unlock a device until those obligations are met, and the new unlocking law does not change that one bit.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be a new AT&T scam. I called and first had to sit through an obviously clueless "tech" who told me I didn't need to unlock my phone and then spent 20 minutes asking me to hold while she looked through manuals. Finally she told me that I had to request an unlock at att.com/deviceunlock.

I filled in all the info and thought I'd have no problem as I was only trying to unlock one of my old phones not the current one and I've been an ATT customer for 10 years. At the end of the process I was told that I would get an e-mail confirmation which I had to click and respond to within 24 hours or my request would be deemed abandoned and the unlock request cancelled.

I never got the e-mail from ATT and the next day got an e-mail saying my request had been cancelled.

That has happened three times so far. They just never respond and then cancel the request

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
That used to work, but no more. All requests must now be made online.

My LG G3 is under contract, so I was denied for that device. I just told AT&T I've switched to my Lumia 1020 and gave the IMEI. One rep told me it would need to be on my acct for 6 months before being unlock-eligible. Another confirmed the phone is now on my acct and said I can make the request right away. I'll wait until tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. I think the 1st rep was right.

BTW, that first rep kept saying "Lumina". Fr|gg'n id|ot!

This, pretty much. With this new unlock policy, I've likely bought my last AT&T locked device.

Thats how I got mine unlocked over the summer and was still on contract! Initially they said no, but I just told them I would cancel my account and move all my services to another provider and they could take their cancellation fees and shove it. They changed their minds and had it unlocked along with my gf Iphone that same week. You just have to know how to play the game

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Been with ATT for 4 years or so, no problems getting a LG optimus pro unlocked last month and an Iphone 5 unlocked this month. Good company, very good customer service. Will stay with them until given reason not to.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I paid $1.60 on eBay and got my LG G3 unlocked, something AT&T told me they wouldn't do until my 2-year contract ended. Screw them.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried again today and finally, it worked. At least the return e-mail from ATT did. I got both (two phones an old 520 and a 635) came back within minutes. Now to wait and see if the actual lock comes through.

Edited to say, I've now unlocked both phones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss