How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I recently purchased two Lumia 520 GoPhones from rhapdog...

One had been used by him on an AT&T or GoPhone account and one had not and had only been taken from the box to update it to 8.1 + Cyan official.

I used the form on the website. Tried NEW first and got an error... Twice. Called the support number. Tried the form again with them online and it went through.

Tried the form with OLD while they were online and that went through first try. Rep on the phone confirmed OLD's IMEI was a valid one and had been on their network. "There should be no problem getting OLD unlocked. NEW may have an issue, they could not say."

Waited two days... Got two emails. NEW got an unlock code. OLD got a rejection saying the IMEI did not match an AT&T compatible phone.

I've not mixed them up. I know clearly which is which as OLD came with a screen protector installed and NEW did not.

The unlock code worked on NEW when I went to ##7820# and put the 20 digit number in.

I've triple checked the IMEI for OLD and resubmitted a ticket. I'll post back on the results.

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Apparently hassling my seller on eBay reminded them they still have a phone on their account, so when I resubmitted my unlock code request as a noncustomer like for kicks the other day, I was emailed the code within two minutes. LOL 😊 im glad they have this new system policy going; its a really nice change.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I got a pleasant surprise today.

That Lumia 635 I bought from Amazon to use for the W10 preview, I got it yesterday, immediately submitted an unlock request as "not a customer" and they have sent me an unlock code in less than 24 hours. So I have a brand new unlocked Lumia 635 for fifty dollars.

The phone has never had a SIM card in it.

If it's really that easy now, the problem then becomes the fact that you can't flash a non-AT&T firmware to their newer devices which could still pose a problem when you actually try to use the phone on a different network.

I wonder how long until AT&T closes this "loophole" - buy cheap gophone, unlock it, insert competitor's sim card.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
First off, my friend is not a dirt bag. He's still partying for it on his plan. Why do people assume the worse off people?

Second, I resubmitted after the policy changes and I received the unlock code minutes later.

Thanks all!

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I received a response email for my 635 which I use on Straight Talk (ATT network) saying it is active on an ATT customer's account. I don't have an ATT.com account to fill in if I select ATT customer, and I never activated the GoPhone SIM.. Which route should I try next? :)

davenc

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I received a response email for my 635 which I use on Straight Talk (ATT network) saying it is active on an ATT customer's account. I don't have an ATT.com account to fill in if I select ATT customer, and I never activated the GoPhone SIM.. Which route should I try next? :)

I got the same message when I requested an unlock code for my 920 while using it on Cricket. A week or so later I was using my cricket sim in my 635 and no sim in the 920 I requested a code again and it worked.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I got the same message when I requested an unlock code for my 920 while using it on Cricket. A week or so later I was using my cricket sim in my 635 and no sim in the 920 I requested a code again and it worked.

Good to hear. I'll keep the SIM in one of my other phones for a while. I did have it in the 635 last week sometime.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm expecting a 635 this week that is locked to ATT... I'll resist the urge to insert my ST SIM until I get the unlock code then.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm starting to think they are spitting out random answers. Tried again today, again as a non-customer, and just got a response saying I hadn't fulfilled my service contract. :/

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm starting to think they are spitting out random answers. Tried again today, again as a non-customer, and just got a response saying I hadn't fulfilled my service contract. :/

Oh it gets better. Tonight starting shortly after 7pm, I received not 1, not 2, not 3, but 5 identical emails for that same request, saying they were still working on it and it was taking more research to determine my eligibility. :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL they must be running out of phones to unlock...

I recently took possession of a used Lumia 635 locked to ATT.

Today I requested the code and clicked the confirmation link in the email they immediately sent. Only 3 Hours and 40 Minutes later I had my unlock code!!!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL they must be running out of phones to unlock...

I recently took possession of a used Lumia 635 locked to ATT.

Today I requested the code and clicked the confirmation link in the email they immediately sent. Only 3 Hours and 40 Minutes later I had my unlock code!!!
My 830 was unlocked in about 2 hours or so.

TomTomahawk

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanx a lot! That was pretty helpful. A friend has an AT&T iPhone 4s, and he couldn't make that work. He almost bought an Official imei unlock, but I will forward your instructions, and hopefully they will unlock it!
do you know if there is way to check its blacklist status? Is it ok to ask the AT&T or should I go for an online IMEI Check service?

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
An old iPhone 4S is the only one I've managed to unlock using their website. They're seriously getting on my nerves with my Lumia.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb