How to unlock an AT&T Windows Phone (non contract edition)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had my first decline this year... Dirtwad that sold me a Nokia Lumia 2520 on Swappa hasn't paid off his Next on the device.

I'm still 4 and 1.

Grabber, you must have bad karma. :winktongue:

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
This is a reply to any who said that they have unlocked an L830 in this message string. WorldSpy99

Please allow me to ask a few questions to clarify.

Did you buy the L830 from AT&T?
Are you still an AT&T customer?

I am an AT&T customer and I purchased the L830 (full cash payment and NO contract obligation) 4 months ago from them. I can not obtain the 8.1 Update 2 Denim as AT&T is refusing to pass it thru. Microsoft says if I have an unlocked L830 I can get the updates.

I want to know if I can use this procedure to obtain an unlock code for my device.

Can someone with AT&T experience advise me?

Further (I feel foolish asking this) what is done with the unlock code XXXX when obtained in order to clear AT&T from the phone?

Thanks for the assistance and advice.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
This is a reply to any who said that they have unlocked an L830 in this message string. WorldSpy99

Please allow me to ask a few questions to clarify.

Did you buy the L830 from AT&T?
Are you still an AT&T customer?

I am an AT&T customer and I purchased the L830 (full cash payment and NO contract obligation) 4 months ago from them. I can not obtain the 8.1 Update 2 Denim as AT&T is refusing to pass it thru. Microsoft says if I have an unlocked L830 I can get the updates.

I want to know if I can use this procedure to obtain an unlock code for my device.

Can someone with AT&T experience advise me?

Further (I feel foolish asking this) what is done with the unlock code XXXX when obtained in order to clear AT&T from the phone?

Thanks for the assistance and advice.
So here 's what happened to me. I bought a lumia from forum member worldspy99. The phone was already unlocked as i think he did that before selling the device. So i got the phone and it works beautifully 😁. On Tuesday i decided to see if AT&T would send me the unlock code if i asked them through the website. So i followed the tips on page one and i entered the IMEI, my email address and my name. Clicked submit and a few seconds got an email to confirm my request; did that and was told to wait 2 business. So today early in the morning i got an email from AT&T and said congratulations your unlock has been processed and approved (something like that) and in the email was the 20 digit unlock code and instructions to unlock.

On your question regarding if it will allow for you to rreceive the full denim update; am sorry to inform you that it won't work. Even tough it becomes sim unlocked, it is still an AT&T branded device. What Microsoft meant by it needs to be unlocked is that there is an international model of the 830 that has already been updated to full denim. Usually they are known as Country Variants and there is a North American CV that supports NA LTE bands. Hope my explanation helps 😁

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. You are most kind.
I understand that I will be no closer to the objective of full Denim and then eventually WindowsPhone 10 access with this excellent phone.

AT&T ... bait and switch ... GUILTY as charged.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I returned the 2520 that I could not get unlocked to the Swappa Dirtbag and got my refund via PayPal.

I turned the refund into another Nokia Lumia 2520 on eBay.

Submitted the unlock request, hit the confirmation link in the email and got the unlock code back in less than a minute. :excited:

I'm 5 for 6 on the year so far. 520 x2, 635, 830, 2520 @ 1 of 2.

tumblr_nar7mpajg91rejb9lo1_500.gif

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Since the AT&T Go-Phone version of the 640 is $20 less than Cricket (my current carrier), can I just buy the Go-Phone and request the unlock code? Yes, I guess I'm cheap enough to do that for $20...
Thanks, JP

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes. when you get the phone, REMOVE the SIM before you ever turn it on so that it does not activate itself onto ATT... No SIM on first power up and you are good.

Then get your unlock on.
im thinking of this AT&T GoPhone Microsoft Lumia 640 4G LTE with 8GB Memory NoContract Cell Phone Black NOKIA LUMIA 640 - Best Buy for the promo of black friday :p maybe buy 2 o 3 haha but what happen i dk if they power up the phone or if the sim is act?vate? im from Costa Rica so its not that easy if something goes wrong... but im not noob

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it activates onto the network you then have a waiting period of some time they expect you to have service before you can unlock.

The phone packaging should be sealed and no one should try turning them on say at customs... I imagine only an Xray would assure them it is alright.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If it activates onto the network you then have a waiting period of some time they expect you to have service before you can unlock.

The phone packaging should be sealed and no one should try turning them on say at customs... I imagine only an Xray would assure them it is alright.

Thanks you! Hope all goes well(y)

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The ATT site says that a Go Phone has to have been active, on ATT, for 6 months, before it can be unlocked. So, if true, you were lucky.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Just confirming that this still works.

I bought a L640 gophone at Best Buy on black Friday, submitted the request as "not a customer" that evening, got a couple emails about how it needed "further attention" and got the unlock code last night (Tuesday). Two business days. In the meantime I powered up and played with the phone but never put in a sim card, until I used an old T-Mobile sim to trigger entering the code.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers