Lumia Model Recommendations for AT&T (Straight Talk, Cricket)?

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
For the past few months I have successfully used my old Verizon branded Lumia 822 (GSM unlocked) on Straight Talk's AT&T service. Last week I began experiencing the "Unknown sender, Message not found" MMS issue. Since I'm convinced the issue is related to the spectrum/radio in my area, I'm now looking for a Lumia more compatible with AT&T's 4G / 4G LTE network.

At home I can manually select from 3 different AT&T "networks" (2G/3G, 4G, or 4G LTE). However, due to my 822's limited GSM connectivity, I can only connect to the 2G/3G frequency. I need an affordable Lumia that will connect to the 4G and/or 4G LTE frequency.

Requirements:
Under $150 used
Compatible with AT&T's 4G and/or 4G LTE frequencies on the East Cost (primarily Mid-Atlantic)
MicroSD expandable storage
Avoid 512MB RAM models if possible
Upgradable to Windows 10 Mobile in the future if possible

Does such an animal exist? What would you suggest?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 820
Lumia 830 (maybe if you get one that's ATT-handicapped and banged up.)

Lumia 920/925 if you can give up microSD.

1520 is probably still too expensive for that.

I think you can import a Lumia 735 but the band compatibility becomes iffy then, depending.

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. The 640 looks promising, but I'll do some more research on xandros9's suggestions as well.

Would I have any difficulty using an AT&T or Cricket branded 640 on Straight Talk, or an AT&T branded 640 on Cricket?

If anyone else has any other suggestions, mucho appreciated.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea about bands as I'm not fromUSA, but I saw last night 1520 on sale at Expansys for 170$. Check it,it's near your budget.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A Cricket phone won't cross over to other mvno's using ATT towers. Or this is what I hear... But any other ATT capable device will cross over any which way. If that makes sense.

IF, as you say, getting Windows 10 Mobile is a priority...

According to this: Microsoft's Windows 10 Mobile update unlikely to come to 4GB phones | Windows Central

The following phones are "officially" slated to receive Win 10 Mo.
  • 640 XL
At this time, many are interpreting the information coming haphazardly out of Microsoft to mean these devices will be in the first roll out wave and that others will follow. It seems pretty definitive at this point that no device with only 4GB internal storage will be able to make the jump to10.

Also, added to that list should be the BLU Win HD LTE and Win Jr LTE. BLU has stated unequivocally that they will receive 10. There may be other OEMs who have pledged this, but they have not come to my attention.

I think I understand why you say used in the OP. Bang for the buck. However, if this is to be your primary and you want a modern SoC and a chance at Win 10 Mo early, you really should consider new.

Also, for the very best chance to get Win 10 Mo you need to have a Factory Unlocked phone. Your model might be eligible, but a carrier can still say no upgrade for you.

B&H Photo is a great source of Factory Unlocked Windows Phones. I've used them and many others around the board have as well. I don't recall ever hearing a bad word about them. Check their online reviews. Here is what they have at $0 - $200. (Maybe stretch your budget just a bit if you have to.)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...i=24039&N=3955685938+3955686098&mnp=0&mxp=200

Here is what you need from any purchase. Check the radio spec and make sure the following is included (more doesn't hurt, this is a minimum.)
  • 2G/GSM/GPRS/EDGE requires 850/1900 MHz
  • 3G/UMTS/HSPA/H+ requires 850/1900 MHz
  • 4G/LTE requires 700/1700/1900/2100 MHz or Bands 2/4/17 (there is not a band missing, band 4 requires 1700 & 2100)

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone, especially RumoredNow.

After a lot of research & comparisons, I've decided to pick up the $80 640 GoPhone model from my local Best Buy tonight, and unlock it before inserting a SIM as discribed HERE and HERE.

From what I understand, this model should have no issue using Straight Talk & Cricket's AT&T LTE. Is this correct?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nice choice and you should have no worries with the phone as GoPhone rides on ATT towers without an unlock no matter which mvno you pick. I'd still unlock it as the process is free and easy...

However, with that phone you will probably be required to get on Insider to see 10. I doubt ATT will push that upgrade to Go Phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos