A true flagship: Lumia 970 XL - Concept Specs

Ultimate Insider

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have been dreaming about this phone from the day one.
After seeing Lumia 950 & 950 XL, and hearing the rumors about Surface Phone, I have decided to come up with my own Dream phone. But I beleive there should be only 3 specced variants of this phone. Actually, I am impressed of what Gigaset has done with the naming chaos. (Gigaset ME Pure, Gigaset ME, Gigaset Pro.)

Ok, here are the specs,

First is our top-dog phone.

Lumia 970 XL Specs: 5 is the new key for this HERO device. Even better, if they call this Lumia Hero or it can be Surface HERO.
- Snapdragon 830 processor
- 5 Gigabytes of RAM
- 5K Display Resolution at least, could be well 6K if it meets with the industry standards.
- 5.7 inch IPS Display
- Full metal / aluminum body
- 32 gigs of storage with MicroSD card extendable storage support
- Non-Removable 5000 mah battery.
- 30 mpx of main camera with ZEISS optics including 4 HAAC mics
- 12 mpx wide angle true selfie camera with xenon flash. (could be 16 mpx if it meets with the industry standards)
- Front facing stereo speakers

For the design, 5000 mah battery can be seen too much but for an 5.7inch 5-6K Display it is normal. Also with 30 mpx camera, a camera hump may be seen. This large battery will smoothen the back cover surface, making it much easier to hold.

Lumia 970 should be what sony xperia z5 compact. Smaller but powerful enough!

Also there should be, Lumia 770-870. There should be a midrange device with latest Snapdragon 600 series processor and 2 gigs of RAM with decent camera, battery and display.

For the low-end market, Microsoft should abandon those unprofitable market segment to the other OEMs. Because we have seen that only a small portion of Windows Phone users who are using those low-end devices have tendency to buy again WindowsPhone devices. So in terms of market share, it doesn't add to much. Unlikely, it adds to much negative biased prejudice reviews against Windows Phone. ios bridge for windows is a good project though. W10M, can reactivate project astoria with android 7.0 instead of 4.4.2 which was in w10m early beta releases. (if you think about L970XL launch time)

What do you think about it folks. Give me your opinions! :love:

Chad Welsh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
After seeing Lumia 950 & 950 XL, and hearing the rumors about Surface Phone, I have decided to come up with my own Dream phone. But I beleive there should be only 3 specced variants of this phone. Actually, I am impressed of what Gigaset has done with the naming chaos. (Gigaset ME Pure, Gigaset ME, Gigaset Pro.)

Ok, here are the specs,

Lumia 970 XL Specs: 5 is the new key for this HERO device. Even better, if they call this Lumia Hero or it can be Surface HERO.
1- Snapdragon 830 processor
2- 5 Gigabytes of RAM Battery Drain not apps use that much and continuum does not have multitasking YET. Just there for the I have a better specced phone than you big johnson contests.
3- 5K Display Resolution at least, could be well 6K if it meets with the industry standards. Battery Drain people arepissed the the 950/XL displays are what they are and continue to complain its too much!!!
4- 5.7 inch IPS Display Battery Drain
5- Full metal / aluminum body No wireless charging, easily destroyed.
6- 32 gigs of storage with MicroSD card extendable storage support So where are you going to put the SD Slot? Would look like dog doo doc with a port exposed and everyone would complain more about the aesthetics and forgo the function and say it should just on have an SD option.
7- Non-Removable 5000 mah battery. Also goes against the SD option. No removable cover so you will have to have and external SD slot which go back to line 6
8- 30 mpx of main camera with ZEISS optics including 4 HAAC mics Quite possible and wanted
9- 12 mpx wide angle true selfie camera with xenon flash. (could be 16 mpx if it meets with the industry standards) No need for a front camera that big.
10- Front facing stereo speakers Would have been nice to have this on current 950/XL in the style of the Surface Pro 3

For the design, 5000 mah battery can be seen too much but for an 5.7inch 5-6K Display it is normal. Also with 30 mpx camera, a camera hump may be seen. This large battery will smoothen the back cover surface, making it much easier to hold.

Also there should be, Lumia 770-870. There should be a midrange device with latest Snapdragon 600 series processor and 2 gigs of RAM with decent camera, battery and display.

For the low-end market, Microsoft should abandon those unprofitable market segment to the other OEMs. Because we have seen that only a small portion of Windows Phone users who are using those low-end devices have tendency to buy again WindowsPhone devices. So in terms of market share, it doesn't add to much. Unlikely, it adds to much negative biased prejudice reviews against Windows Phone. ios bridge for windows is a good project though. W10M, can reactivate project astoria with android 7.0 instead of 4.4.2 which was in w10m early beta releases. (if you think about L970XL launch time)

The whole idea of has to be metal to be premium is crap!!!!! I have handled too many iPhones (work and personal) and I can tell you the S6 Edge Plus is a terrible phone that feels like it is made from a beer can (not that I don't like beer but bottles are better unless you have a stein full of Dunkelweizen.)

Also metal puts you in disposable phone category, no replaceable batteries and you have a short life phone. Please leave the camera humps out of phone design, its a phone not a camera the Nexus 6P is a perfect example UGLY as SIN!!!!

Couple of good points the rest just dreaming and not even well thought out for the purpose of engineering this device.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Ok, here are the specs,

- Snapdragon 830 processor
- 5 Gigabytes of RAM
- 5K Display Resolution at least, could be well 6K if it meets with the industry standards.
- 5.7 inch IPS Display
- Full metal / aluminum body
- 32 gigs of storage with MicroSD card extendable storage support
- Non-Removable 5000 mah battery.
- 30 mpx of main camera with ZEISS optics including 4 HAAC mics
- 12 mpx wide angle true selfie camera with xenon flash. (could be 16 mpx if it meets with the industry standards)
- Front facing stereo speakers

whatever you are smoking, can i have some.
6k display in 5.7 inch format
Reaction gif tagged with laugh, Ron Swanson, Nick Offerman, Parks and Recreation

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
By naming it 970 you realize it wouldn't come out until 2017... by which point I'm really hoping we get away from ARM processors.

Hans van Veen

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello "Ultimate Insider",
fantastic specs, there is one point, about the low-end phone users I can give an answer. My old carrier iPhone 5 drowned last month. It gave me the opportunity to try a second hand Lumia 640 before I choose definitely by the end of april 2016. Then I can choose an other phone from my provider for the coming 24 month period. I know at this moment that I will chose for the Lumia 950XL, instead iPhone. Windows is working fantastic, got used to it in days, learning every day since then. My Lumia 640 can be the back-up phone for a long period. Got the Lumia 640 (good as new) for € 100,00.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You know, I'm alright with keeping with the QHD display we have in the 950 XL, it's clear, it's readable, and out only eats a little more than a 1080p's display. A 5-6k display would eat (guess what...) 5-6x as much battery. I'm not a fan of that. Battery tech needs to get better before we get the serious displays into our phones.

Everything else though sounds cool to me.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Why 5gb ram, yet only 32gb on board?? Why not forget the stupid 5k display ( yet another non necessary marketing gimmick!! ) and go 128, or 256 on board. For get the sd card? I still prefer a removable battery though.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, screen resolution is a super marketing gimmick started by.....drumroll pulllleeeassee.....you guessed it, apple. I do not need any more resolution that either my 1020 or note 1 has. NO NEED. other than you know what measuring online. Put 4 gig ram and 128 gb storage, with sd card provisions. removeable battery is a must. Bring back the camera hump and a nice 1020 inspired camera back there and you have a winner!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope that was a typo. 1200x800 resolution is not enough. If you can't see the jaggies you are blind. 1440p is probably enough for phones though. At least until battery tech changes.

Also just using metal does not make a phone good. But metal does feel better than any plastic when done right. And does not get damaged as easily when dropped a little. My Note 3 has dents all around the plastic edging. I hate cases so never going to be an option for me. My phone will take small drops every so often but I have never broken a phone so why cover it with a case?

Onkel Ebert

Sep 15, 2018
Visit site
Agreed, screen resolution is a super marketing gimmick started by.....drumroll pulllleeeassee.....you guessed it, apple.

That's not really true, of course.

iphone, iphone 3g and iphone 3GS had displays with a resolution of 480 x 320. Even on the small 3.5" screens one could recognize single pixels. An increase in resolution was therefore useful. And since then, Apple has always been very restrained, as the resolution of newer models shows. An iphone se for example does not run in 4k or similar nonsensical resolutions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zinedioo