AT&T SIM won't work when it's not the SIM selected for data on 950 XL

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I've got two SIMS on my 950 XL (US) and when I*don't have my AT&T*SIM as the main data*SIM it just doesn't connect at all.

This only started happening*in the last 2 days it seems. If I switch it to*the main*SIM, I get 4-5 bars of 4G/LTE. I haven't had much time to check how many places it does this. I will be able to try a little*bit more later today.

I'm on the release preview ring (this might've happened after the .594 update) and my firmware is up to date.

A few things I've*tried:
- Removing and reinserting the SIM card
-*Forced the phone to power down
-*Turned*airplane mode on and off
- Switched back*and*forth on which*SIM*handles data
- Turned that*SIM slot on and off
- Turned roaming off and back on

One thing I haven't tried is verifying APN settings, but*it was working at least for a couple weeks since I last wiped the phone (to leave the fast ring) without issue.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone by default locks the secondary SIM to 2G. I heard that the Elite X3 lets the secondary SIM be 3G so it might be hardware or firmware related rather than a rule that W10M imposes universally.

Anyways, with that in mind, AT&T just shutdown their 2G network this past New Year's, give or take a day, and unfortunately it caused what you're seeing now.

So what to do about it right now? We can hope Microsoft issues a fix sometime in the future (no information yet) or switch out either the phone or carrier.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
As a follow up, I ended up purchasing a OnePlus 3T. I really wanted to go with the Elite x3, but due to the huge difference in price between the two phones, it was too hard to justify the cost difference. I am however hoping for some sort of new HP pro-sumer device or Cerulean mobile device as both have been rumored as of late before the ultimate release of the mythical Surface Phone.

I wrote more in depth about it here

Last edited:

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/449116-2g-t-goes-bye-bye.html

zei20t claims so but I can't confirm it personally only having AT&T service and no X3.
This really sux. I replied in the other thread regarding this. According to HP it defaults to 2g just like the 950s.

HP Elite x3 - Using Dual SIMs (Windows 10 Mobile) | HP® Customer Support

Does 2g, 3g, and/or 4g use the same antenna? Could a firmware update fix this? Why would Microsoft or anyone build a phone with 2g as the default?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This really sux. I replied in the other thread regarding this. According to HP it defaults to 2g just like the 950s.

HP Elite x3 - Using Dual SIMs (Windows 10 Mobile) | HP® Customer Support

Does 2g, 3g, and/or 4g use the same antenna? Could a firmware update fix this? Why would Microsoft or anyone build a phone with 2g as the default?
It is hard to say where a FW update would correct the issue if we are not aware of how the HW is configured or built in. But it would be the best approach.

Of course companies like T-Mobile have boasted that they will have 2G up until 2020 trying to claim the fall out of AT&T if possible.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It is hard to say where a FW update would correct the issue if we are not aware of how the HW is configured or built in. But it would be the best approach.

Of course companies like T-Mobile have boasted that they will have 2G up until 2020 trying to claim the fall out of AT&T if possible.

I might have to move one of my numbers to Tmobile. I will at least have 2g coverage for several more years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria