Question BSOD - How do I retrieve Windows Key from an old SSD drive?

philmar

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
My 11 year old computer will not boot due to "Bad System Config Info". I've tried System Restore, tried Resetting This PC, tried restarting in safe mode but no joy.
However, I have just completed a new pc build with an Intel i7 13700 and a Z790 motherboard and would like to install Windows 11 on to it. How do I retrieve the Windows 10 product key? It is on a 2.5" sata SSD and I have a SSD external enclosure that I have used to gain access to my non-Windows files using a laptop.
And if I can retrieve the W10 key, can I use it to upgrade to W11? Do I boot W11 on the new machine and use the W10 product key? or must I install W10 first, activate it and then upgrade to W11?

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My 11 year old computer will not boot due to "Bad System Config Info". I've tried System Restore, tried Resetting This PC, tried restarting in safe mode but no joy.
However, I have just completed a new pc build with an Intel i7 13700 and a Z790 motherboard and would like to install Windows 11 on to it. How do I retrieve the Windows 10 product key? It is on a 2.5" sata SSD and I have a SSD external enclosure that I have used to gain access to my non-Windows files using a laptop.
And if I can retrieve the W10 key, can I use it to upgrade to W11? Do I boot W11 on the new machine and use the W10 product key? or must I install W10 first, activate it and then upgrade to W11?
Depends on how you actually acquired your Windows 10 license and whether or not you ever associated it with your Windows Account. If you associated with your account, you won't even need the key, just skip the activation in Windows 11 and it will activate when you go online with your account. Some articles here might help:

philmar

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
I was able to get what I think is the key using a program called ShowKeyPlus which found a OEM key and an 'installed' key. They are different.
The asterisk says it requires a digital licence for activation. Does this mean I can install W11 - indicate I do NOT have a activation key - and then activate it by signing in to Windows?
OR, must I install W10 and use the key to activate it and then obtain a digital license?windows 10 key old pc 2.jpg

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
The thing is that "Is Your Windows Product Key Transferrable".?
When it comes to transferability, OEM Keys are not supposed to be transferable. These are the keys that manufacturers use to install Windows on any prebuilt PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124