Can I use an Xbox controller on my PC?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am getting some arm forearm issues from playing games on my desktop PC. The games are mostly keyboard driven (Civ 6 and Elder Scrolls Online). And boy do I waste time playing.

Is there a way to use and Xbox controller? I want to switch between the two - to mix it up, give my fore arm a break.

I realize this may be a function of the game itself, but it would have to connect via a physical cord or Bluetooth?

Anyone have suggestions around this?

Thanks,

Mr. V

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
SOme games have built-in controller support, you'd find an option to enable it in the game's settings.

For any game, you can use Steam to configure controller support as well - this is the best option if you want full control. Works for any game, including those with and without controller support. This also makes it easier to switch between kb/m and controller mid-game without needing to jump into settings menus (Steam maps your controller inputs to either the game's code directly, or to keyboard inputs, so no need to enable controller support in-game).

For controllers, you can use any modern Xbox controller. You can use any standard USB cable, or the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
Newer controllers (hard plastic around Xbox button, instead of glossy, comes in a white box, instead of green) can also use Bluetooth, but this does NOT allow you to use Steam's controller configuration, and disables some features like vibration and button remapping.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To add what @DQGC_Kyle has said, you can also use third party applications however some do involve using unsigned drivers.

You can also use Joy2Key for advanced mapping functionality, such as using the controller as a remote or adding controller support for games that don't support controller functionality.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
SOme games have built-in controller support, you'd find an option to enable it in the game's settings.

For any game, you can use Steam to configure controller support as well - this is the best option if you want full control. Works for any game, including those with and without controller support. This also makes it easier to switch between kb/m and controller mid-game without needing to jump into settings menus (Steam maps your controller inputs to either the game's code directly, or to keyboard inputs, so no need to enable controller support in-game).

For controllers, you can use any modern Xbox controller. You can use any standard USB cable, or the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
Newer controllers (hard plastic around Xbox button, instead of glossy, comes in a white box, instead of green) can also use Bluetooth, but this does NOT allow you to use Steam's controller configuration, and disables some features like vibration and button remapping.

thinking of the Logitech F310!

Thanks!!! I did not know about the STEAM option!!!!

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there are other options as TechFreak said, but Steam is the simplest and most powerful IMO, tons of configurable options, modes, and many games have excellent native support and/or presets for it, and there's a good chance you already have it installed if you're playing games on PC.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Why on earth would I ruin my gaming experience by using a controller? No, there's no universe where I game with a controller. None.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Why on earth would I ruin my gaming experience by using a controller? No, there's no universe where I game with a controller. None.

I am getting elbow injuries from keyboard mouse play. A new desk might help, but a controller is also useful for just switching it up. Sad. I know.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am getting some arm forearm issues from playing games on my desktop PC. The games are mostly keyboard driven (Civ 6 and Elder Scrolls Online). And boy do I waste time playing.

Is there a way to use and Xbox controller? I want to switch between the two - to mix it up, give my fore arm a break.

I realize this may be a function of the game itself, but it would have to connect via a physical cord or Bluetooth?

Anyone have suggestions around this?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Misleading header again in a Windows Central article which links to a forum post.

I came here to say that I almost exclusively use an xbox controller, though of course not for "mouse games", like Civilization. I do use it for fps/aim action games too though, I don't like using typing or pointing peripherals for gaming.

Sylvrwulf

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Been a PC gamer since Wolfenstein 3d and Doom; play FPS, RPG, Adventure, and all the combos in between. I've always been a mouse and keyboard user. I remember when my mind was blown the very first time I saw "mouse look" used: it was done by holding down the "num lock" button so a friend of mine used a rubber band and clothes pin to keep it depressed then remapped his "walking" keys from the arrows to WASD. We saw it first done by the guy that won the Doom tournament and could do things never seen before. Life was changed. That quickly became industry standard. The last time I enjoyed gaming with a controller was my old Genesis. So believe me when I say I'm surprised that I'm now favoring my Steam Controller. I bought it last year and timidly toyed with it. As of this past month, I think I'm finally switching over to it as my primary gaming interface. The touch pad directionals are very similar to my Trackball which makes it pretty intuitive. The community shared customizations finally sealed the deal. My one big complaint was that it was too sensitive and I didn't spend that much time trying to tweak it to fix it. The highest rated community mod for Far Cry 4 changed all that and opened my eyes. I just bought two more so my kids and join in with me on the PC (through the Steam Link, of course!). You might want to give it a try. They are on sale still, I think.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Misleading header again in a Windows Central article which links to a forum post.

I came here to say that I almost exclusively use an xbox controller, though of course not for "mouse games", like Civilization. I do use it for fps/aim action games too though, I don't like using typing or pointing peripherals for gaming.

Yeah, I get that...I am doing it to avoid some repetitive strain injuries...switch it up.