Continuum results in over stretched desktop on TV screen

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am trying out the Continuum dock with a 1080p Panasonic TV and it works well except contents on screen is stretched out a bit such that I can't see the bottom taskbar (similarly for three other sides). Mouse pointer still moves beyond the screen boundary so I can still blindly click on the start button and such but it's just not a good experience. My TV like most others has a stretch mode control (e.g. 4:3 vs 16:9, overscan vs no overscan etc) but it doesn't help in this case. Which is to say source of this issue seems to be on phone (or dock) side rather than TV.

When I first set it up, there was a setup screen with four arrows at corners (but the tips of arrows were beyond the screen). Is there where I am supposed to fix this thing? If so, how do I get that setup screen again?

Thank you for any suggestion!

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
That is called overscan. Some older tv models have that. Depends on you TV, you might find to disable overscan on the setting.
And try connect your laptop or computer to your TV, see if your TV is a native 1080p display. And try to get your TV setting right from there., and then reconnect TV to phone contnuum.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That was my initial thought too but it seems to be coming out of the dock already overscanned. I have cycled through all pixel mapping modes available on TV but it doesn't help. "Full" mode setting is the one that's supposed to disable any overscan and give 1:1 pixel mapping but it didn't work either.

Today I tried it on a Dell computer monitor (1920x1200) and it worked with no problem. But with the Dell, somehow I didn't get the setup screen with four arrows I was getting with my TV. I wonder if there was an adjustment to be done on that setup stage that evaded my attention. If I could just get that setup screen again I would take a closer look but I don't get that screen anymore on my TV.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just for grins I tried another HDMI port on TV and the issue is gone!
It looks like my TV (Panny 65" Plasma) has different processing for its two HDMI inputs. HDMI2 input I was using earlier seems to have some residual overscan processing you can't bypass completely. I never knew because I never used that port until now lol.
EDIT: Looking at the manual, there may be another setting or two buried deep in the TV menu that I think could have fixed it for HDMI2. Just FYI for anyone with a Panny TV.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria