How to wipe a laptop that won’t turn on

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
I recently had an HP Envy that suddenly died. I’m talking on one minute, and then turned off suddenly and now won’t turn back on. Plugged in, not plugged in, long press of the power button, no luck.
I replaced it with a Surface Laptop, so I’m not looking to repair it, but I would like to wipe it of all of my data before recycling it. Does anyone have any idea how to wipe a laptop that won’t boot up?

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Great! I hadn’t thought of that. Thank you! Once I’ve gotten in connected to my working machine, do I just reformat it? Do I use some sort of software to wipe it to OEM settings? If there’s already knowledge on this even a link would be appreciated

Thank you!

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Great! I hadn’t thought of that. Thank you! Once I’ve gotten in connected to my working machine, do I just reformat it? Do I use some sort of software to wipe it to OEM settings? If there’s already knowledge on this even a link would be appreciated

Thank you!

Yea, you can reformat it. Just right click the drive in windows explorer and click format in the drop down menu. no additional software needed. but before formatting, you can copy over any files on the old drive you want to save.

JasLit

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
Make sure to use FULL FORMAT, not quick format - just in case you want to sell the drive etc. FULL FORMAT will zero out everything. After quick formatting (some/plenty of) information can be recovered

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria