I still use a Windows XP app from 2003 to clean up my hard drive and I'll never stop

marsilies

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site
The article has been updated to mention recommendations for WizTree , which is much faster at accumulating file data for a drive, although it should be noted WizTree is only free for personal use. Since WinDirStat is open source, it's free for commercial use as well.

I also found a version of WinDirStat called Fast WinDirStat from Ideal Software that uses their CognosNT file scanner to speed up performance. From what I can see, this version is just free to use, no limit on using Fast WinDirStat in commerical settings, although if you want to use CognosNT in other commercial software, you'll have to license it.

tyushk

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site
You should try out Filelight. It's part of the KDE environment, but they have Windows builds that are quite fast. I often use it to clear out terabytes of data at a time.

maktaba

Banned
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for sharing the utility as I think it is useful to know such small third party utilities. I am a great fan of using such utilities and many of the times they work much better and more efficiently than native Windows settings. Like you our first PC was also Windows 3.1 so I might have some idea of your preference of using lightweight third party utilities to do things on Windows. I will definitely try WinDirStat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital