If Microsoft really IS bringing Steam, Epic Game Store, etc. to Xbox consoles, it needs to answer these big questions

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Far from addressing all of the issues raised here, a possible solution to one of them -- lost sales through Xbox store of console exclusives -- could be addressed by MS simply contractually requiring of Valve and others that MS games can not be purchased for Xbox play through Steam, etc. That would be a small concession by the store owners to gain access to Xbox players, so seems an easy deal to strike.

Jez, you dismissed MS making these stores only available behind a GamePass paywall, because currently Steam and others do not require payment to access their games, but I don't think that's a reason not to do it. To your point that the changing model could be the greatest danger, the simplest solution that protects MS' overall profitability without breaking anything that they currently do is precisely to make access to these services on Xbox one more benefit to subscribing to some flavor of GamePass.

I would love to subscribe to GamePass, but currently do not, just because they don't offer a family plan yet and each of my kids has his and her own Xbox, so I can't add the service for one of us without buying a GamePass subscription for each kid, which I'm not willing to do (way too expensive). As a result, we're all blocked from multiplayer (except Minecraft via LAN). And as someone w/o GamePass, I can easily say I would not be upset with MS if they added Steam access AS A NEW FEATURE and made it only availbale to GamePass subscribers. I know I've made a choice not to subscribe, so my expectations are that I only get single-player versions of games through the Microsoft Store. If I want anything beyond that, I need to step up to a GamePass subscription. I suspect that's a fairly common perspective on this subject.

Note that this would also remove the need to do anything about the problem in the first paragraph above: as GamePass subscribers, they'd already have access to the game directly from MS anyway because all first-party MS games release on GamePass on day 1.

JoshRos

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't need to answer a single question to you or any other blog.

They are the most successful big digital business out there, they know their business, they created most of it single handedly, they are amazing strategists, they follow the rules best than anyone, and that's about it.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't need to answer a single question to you or any other blog.

They are the most successful big digital business out there, they know their business, they created most of it single handedly, they are amazing strategists, they follow the rules best than anyone, and that's about it.
Indeed.
Microsoft has one of the biggest (and arguably, best) legal army of any tech company. They follow the rules right to the line and, given the ongoing antitrust cases against walled gardens (with more to come: take note Nintendo and Amazon) they may simply be innoculating themselves from any action targeting them.

Lost in all the "analysis" of Spencer's comments is that MS has long allowed Amazon and others to sell digital codes to their software, bypassing the xbox store. So how is letting Steam setup shop on the XBOX Dashboard any different, especially as a GamePass Core perk?

All MS has to do is charge steam et al a fixed transaction fee for letting them set up shop on the XBOX, similar to the way they allow games with microtransactions (and subscription apps) to sell content through the game. Fixed (at a slice of list) so that it doesn't much matter if the game undercuts the XBox store. They make less money directly but they get a stronger platform.

Unlike other platforms (cough*apple*cough) that insist on getting every last cent their users spend, MS is willing to live and let live.

Also: consider the benefit to XBOX if Steam and Epic join "Play Everywhere" for XBOX/PC games.

Plus, it may be unavoidable if the nextbox is a hybrid Windows-compatible console.

And finally, just because MS offers access doesn't mean the stores would want to sell XBOX versions of the games. It takes two to tango and the regulators can't blame MS if they find no takers.

Papictu

Apr 5, 2024
Visit site
A few years ago I trusted a project called Xbox Series, now I feel like a second-class user, confused and scammed.

I don't know what will happen in the next few years, but everything feels bad with Xbox, I'm still here for my game collection and my achievements, but I'm less excited every day.

The console is no longer competitive, with the latest decisions it makes no sense.

The PC store is a joke next to Steam.

What remains as a real reason to continue in the Xbox ecosystem? Is GamePass reason enough?

I have no idea about the future of Xbox business, I hope they do well, but as a user, I cannot be happy with this, I have to start buying my digital games on another platform, Xbox no longer makes sense to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HardinTergat