Isn't an absence of a Windows Phone 8/8.1/10 device on Skype website a lack of dedication/promotion?

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft makes Lumia Phones and Microsoft owns Skype. Yet if you goto skype(.com), you do not find any Lumia device!

To add insult to injury, they have featured Android devices and iPhones/iOSes all over the page.

How really disgusting!

From top to bottom:
1. Samsung Edge & some Android tablet
2. iPhone
3. Probably a Windows 8/8.1 PC or other device (I am not sure)
4. Android phone and Android tablet
5. iPhone

It seems Microsoft has always done Windows Phone development/strategy very unwillingly and under some pressure, hence the failure. I mean they consider their own brand of phones this unworthy that it can't be shown or can't represent their application?

Some people do not understand unless it is clearly written and pass sarcastic comment. For those people, I tried to make it more simple now - to the level of a ten year old child. This lack of promotion/showcase conveys how unimportant phone is for Microsoft. Do they not have confidence in their own device and still they sell it?

They want market share but always leave out customers in the cold - Windows Phone 7 was left out when WP8 came and now WP8 devices have been left out when W10M has come. WP7 can't run WP8/8.1 apps and now 8/8.1 can't run W10M apps. This way they can't expect people to trust them and "love" Windows when their makers are such douchebags.

Skype is (perhaps still now) a big asset - such big that they bought it in $8.5 billion - and a lot of people with all kinds of devices must be visiting that page. And not having their flagship phones/devices on the front page is a serious negligence.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol sure I was being sarcastic and yes I did fully understand whatever you wrote before you corrected it so that even the youngest among us can understand it. Really sweet :)

My point is... what is the point of this? We know full and well that MS doesn't push Lumia's as hard as we believe they should. That's just it.. we know.. they know.. We have complained, but it hasn't changed anything :/

So basically it just seems to me like you needed to vent your rage somewhere. Keep in mind, I'm not attacking you or telling you that you may not, but I'm just wondering what the endgame is here? Get a bunch of us to start spamming MS on twitter so that they add a few Lumia's to the page?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not surprising since Skype is touted more as a product than a feature. Microsoft is only promoting it's product where majority of the users are, i.e. iOS and Android. You'll see something similar on OneDrive.com too where the landing page has an Android device running the OneDrive app...same reasoning, Microsoft is promoting OneDrive as a product. If you see the Build 2016 Skype presentations you can see an unreleased Skype UWP app being demoed. Microsoft may be waiting for that app's release to start advertising Skype for WM.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Skype is touted more as a product than a feature.

That made sense.

Microsoft may be waiting for that app's release to start advertising Skype for WM.

Lets see if that ever happens. I am not following MS or WC much now for "news". //build/ does not make more sense to me as they say a lot of things in these gatherings but rarely deliver on their promises.

Thanks for the input guys. I do not think this would make an interesting topic here at WC.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not surprising since Skype is touted more as a product than a feature. Microsoft is only promoting it's product where majority of the users are, i.e. iOS and Android. You'll see something similar on OneDrive.com too where the landing page has an Android device running the OneDrive app...same reasoning, Microsoft is promoting OneDrive as a product. If you see the Build 2016 Skype presentations you can see an unreleased Skype UWP app being demoed. Microsoft may be waiting for that app's release to start advertising Skype for WM.

Even look at the new Skype bots intro'd at Build yesterday.

Skype Bots preview comes to consumers and developers ? - Skype Blogs

Read the availability.

Preview Bots are available in the latest versions of Skype for Windows Desktop, Android, iPhone and iPad.

None for W10M or WP8.1. Unless your company or organization specifically needs Windows Phones apps, developing for W10M or WP8.1 probably isn't where it's at or going to be for the foreseeable future.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That made sense.

Lets see if that ever happens. I am not following MS or WC much now for "news". //build/ does not make more sense to me as they say a lot of things in these gatherings but rarely deliver on their promises.

Thanks for the input guys. I do not think this would make an interesting topic here at WC.

Build was a developer conference, not consumer. If you're not a developer then none of the announcements would really make sense to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria