Lumia 1020 Successor Camera Module

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Chances of lumia 1020 successor?

Having been a happy owner of the 1020, you should try the 950XL. Without having done and A/B comparison, the pictures seem to zoom better than the 1020, even with only 20mp. Better software, optics? I dunno, but I finally don't miss my 1020 (previous phone was the 1520).

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Chances of lumia 1020 successor?

I've been reading the news about new models coming out from various manufacturers and so far no phone has caught my eye. None fits what I am looking for.

I'm in the same boat as you..

I've had all the greatest camera phones out there (Nokia N93, N82, N8, 808, Lumia 1020) and now I've hit a brick wall.

I was reluctant at first to upgrade from 808 to 1020, but I really wanted a faster and modern OS & better apps. The upgrade meant compromising the sensor and it's qualities (which even to this day had the best white balance) on the 808 for better algorithms and modern OS/apps on the 1020.

Now 2.5 years later since owning the 1020 - the only option right now is the Lumia 950/950XL, but that would mean compromising yet again on the camera module / sensor size & Pureview zoom qualities for faster OS and improved algorithms (due to better processors).

Dedicated camera phones have unfortunately declined since Nokia was bought out by Microsoft. Other companies, such as Samsung, are / have already caught / catching up on the imaging technologies that was once dominated by Nokia.

I'm still holding on to my 1020. I hope the imaging guys at Microsoft are cooking up something great to reveal otherwise I have no choice but to look at other leading companies.

TheClassCat

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
If it was a refresh that would be great.

In general if the Lumia 1020's successor labeled as either the 1030 or Surface Phone Pro here's what MS should do :

- Beef up the screen to 5-5.5 inch of screen with a 1080p AMOLED screen for battery life performance and processor performance
- Updated Internals of course, up to date SD processor (Maybe custom made or MS having a custom Intel), 3/4GB of Ram, MicroSD etc
- Maybe a dedicated part of the phone for the camera?
- I'm fine with the camera hump if they manage to cram more stuff into it.

I would prefer the camera to have some sort of really advanced OIS like maybe the one they used in Xiaomi's or Sony's, autofocus, triple led, adjustment of the flash post-production, a much better control over exposure values, white balance, etc etc.

I would be fine with the same sensor if it allowed everything else to be beefed up or slimmed. Maybe a bigger sensor like the 808 and a lower MP count to increase pixel size while being the king of crop/oversampling.

I don't know too much about camera optics , but is it possible for a camera to take multiple focusing points and combine the light/wb into one picture. Like say at night there is a billboard and streets. Normally when focusing on the main area, the billboard that is lighten up would pretty much be blown out and the opposite would happen if you were to focus on the billboard which overly darkens the surrounding area. If the phone could process multiple pictures to one that would be amazing.

Even if all they did was to simply refresh the 1020 and add a little more up to date features on the phone, along with say stereo speakers and such I think it could be a real contender. I don't like the argument that 1020 was a niche product and it's successor would be too, I mean it could be labeled as a flagship phone like any other phone right? It just happens that the camera would be ****ing on everyone else.