Microsoft's Windows Experiences leader also hates this Start menu failing and pushes his team for a fix

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
You can just type the name of the app. Press Start; type name of app; press enter. Often you only need to type a few characters of the app name before it is selected in the Start menu. This works for apps, documents, short cuts, and URLs. This is multiple times faster than picking it with the mouse among a list of apps.

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You can just type the name of the app. Press Start; type name of app; press enter. Often you only need to type a few characters of the app name before it is selected in the Start menu. This works for apps, documents, short cuts, and URLs. This is multiple times faster than picking it with the mouse among a list of apps.
There's actually also the very annoying case of newly installed apps.
In Windows 10, any newly installed app (Win32 or UWP) automatically shows up at the top of the all apps list. Simple, fast and elegant solution. Immediately visible and accessible on clicking the Start button. You don't even need to remember the exact name of the app you just installed because it's featured right at the top of the all apps list in Start staring at you.
Now in Win 11, it's amazingly been removed. If your 'Recommended' section is also disabled, you are out of luck because the all apps list does not feature this at the top of the list. You have to remember the exact name of the newly installed app to find it and 'Pin to Start' for quick access.

Windows 10 Start is unquestionably superior to Win 11. It's not even close. I deliberately keep a few machines permanently on Win 10 to remind me of when Start was great.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Wow didn't expect to hear this, but glad to see they FINALLY are listening... but I'm not gonna get my hopes up with the constant disappointments. I'll have to see it to believe it. If it was such an easy push to change, Panos would've already done that. But clearly, there's people above that are preventing that and wanted the focus more on the Recommendations/ads section.

Not everyone uses a keyboard... and it's not as fast as it used to be on Windows 10 or 8.

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
There's actually also the very annoying case of newly installed apps.
In Windows 10, any newly installed app (Win32 or UWP) automatically shows up at the top of the all apps list. Simple, fast and elegant solution. Immediately visible and accessible on clicking the Start button. You don't even need to remember the exact name of the app you just installed because it's featured right at the top of the all apps list in Start staring at you.
Now in Win 11, it's amazingly been removed. If your 'Recommended' section is also disabled, you are out of luck because the all apps list does not feature this at the top of the list. You have to remember the exact name of the newly installed app to find it and 'Pin to Start' for quick access.

Windows 10 Start is unquestionably superior to Win 11. It's not even close. I deliberately keep a few machines permanently on Win 10 to remind me of when Start was great.
I also noticed new apps don't get pushed to the top of the list temporarily. That is annoying. This article is dumb. What is the big deal about clicking "All apps" if you want to see a full list of apps. Pinning to Start and Taskbar are for heavily used apps. In fact, I put my very most heavily used apps only in the Taskbar to save space in Start. The Taskbar always open with Start so it is redundant to put in Taskbar and Start. "All apps" is for infrequently used apps. But you can always just type the app name as I mentioned before.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I swear I don't understand the purpose of the start menu. Other than right clicking it to shutdown/hibernate, I have not used it in 25 years. To me it is a colossal waste of time to launch apps via start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria