missing taskbar icons

jdfnnl

May 15, 2023
Visit site
I would like to know if anyone knows why icons for various apps on my machine are not displaying their icons on the taskbar including the photos app. Along with this, the raster image files no longer display their usual 16x16 icon in file explorer. This has occurred before and this time has taken hold as I reinstalled Windows 10 and begin tweaking and optimizing. I believe one of these changes resulted in this condition but not sure which in particular to avoid. I am using winaero but also uninstalled a bunch of the stock apps including the intel display adapter which I believe windows installed with the routine updates. I am not sure how to get this particular driver / app back and trying running windows update again but this remains elusive. The only solution to this problem in the past has been solved by reinstalling the OS. Any ideas would help.

screenshot.jpg

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a default program set to open files like .png? If you right click on the file and choose "open with" then be sure to check the box to set whatever app you choose to open every time - it should set that app as default with the image.

jdfnnl

May 15, 2023
Visit site
This problem is more global than file association as other programs have lost their taskbar icon: the Dell SupportAssist app:

2024-02-08 20_50_16-Greenshot.png

and others such as the default video player:

2024-02-08 21_07_30-missing taskbar icons _ Windows Central.png

Despite the associated file types having no icon, their association opens the default app as usual.

I suspect a program removed, group policy change, winaero or Nirsoft tweak, removed driver .. I know others have this problem because they are posting on the web but have not yet found a consensus or one that have been deemed 'answered'. I am so curious about this incurable condition that I will reinstall windows and set more restore points to investigate when the change occurs. You may hear back from me.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria