Nokia Lumia 520 Keeps Shutting Off By Itself

Faith G

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nokia Lumia since Christmas, so almost 2 months, just recently maybe 1 week ago it started shutting off by itself. At first it was shutting off when i charged it, it went away so i didn't think anything of it. Then it started shutting off more and more, now it turns off almost every minute, i can barely send a text or stay on the phone longer than 5 minutes without it shutting off. It will shut off and won't let me turn it on for hours! It's frustrating because i love this phone and don't want to change but this is really irritating! And i haven't dropped it hard, wet it or anything like that so i know thats not the case, and it's not from my phone being too hot. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to forum Faith. The 520 is indeed a great phone, especially for it's price. There's a few things you could try, to see if you can get this problem sorted. But as it's only 2 months old, if you purchased it New, it should be covered under warranty anyway. So if all else fails, you may well be able to send it in to get repaired or get a replacement.

What I'd do first, is check that the battery is seated correctly. Pop the back cover and take the battery out. Make sure the battery contacts are clear from any dirt/dust etc (don't use water or liquids though) and then firmly put the battery back into the phone and put the cover back on. Test to see whether the phone now works correctly.

Also, when the phone decides it wants to switch off, what is the battery level like? Is the battery going flat, or can the phone still decide to power itself off when the battery is full?

How are you charging the phone as well? Do you connect it to your PC/Laptop, or do you connect it to the wall charger?

There is always a Hard Reset you could try. Although I probably wouldn't try this yet, if your phone is not lasting any more than a few minutes, as it won't have time to complete the reset. This method basically wipes your phone to factory defaults (including all you data, so you'd have to make sure you have everything backed up). If it is a software issue, a Hard Reset would usually fix it. It does sound more of a hardware issue to me though. Let us know how you get on with the battery removal etc.

dawn768

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
This works! Try the paper technique before you try any software fix. It seems a good deal of the Nokia 520s have this issue to some degree. After two returns of this phone for this problem, the third one I got was the best. It still turned off occasionally, but not as frequently and not as hard to get back on. Sometimes I had to shake the phone to get the batteries to engage with the connectors again. But ever since I wedged the paper in the battery compartment the phone stays on!

Nngetha

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I have also been experiencing the same problem. My Lumia 520 has been turning itself on and off. Can't access control for the phone since it hanged with the memory from 17th Dec last yr. Messages inaccessible and even photos. What could be the real problem with the phone?

ishanj9

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I tried the paper trick,but it's not the battery being loose.as soon as i put it down a little hard on any surface,it restarts or goes off and sometimes even when i pull out the battery and put it back,it does not work.please help.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I had that issue with a 520, and turned out to be a faulty SD card. Try a different SD card or better yet try running without one for a day or 2 to see if it goes away.

If it's not an installed SD card, then I'm out of suggestions. That's what my problem narrowed down to.

irispopa1

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey, if nothing really works you should check for system updates. I've had this problem this week until an update popped up. It said if I didn't accept, the phone will reboot from time to time. It's worth a shot.

Michelle Baird

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. I have been having this problem for several weeks and even tried to get a new battery to see if that was the problem. Stuck a piece of paper in and it turned on without any trouble.:excited:

emiliedunn14

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same problem, except my phone is a little over a year old, and this has never happened before. I can barely even unlock my phone, if I'm lucky before it shuts down. It usually never fully powers on either. I've checked the battery but it seems fine. I don't know what to do, because I haven't been able to back up for over two months and don't want to get a new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard