RAM question: 4GB vs 8GB?

judah modeste

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You need more ram. The more the better the processing power is there and you may manage with four gigs on the surface pro but save yourself the headache and get a better laptop or better yet a desktop with that amount of money.

CrippsCorner

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I've never found 4Gb to be a problem for me occasionally running Lightroom & Virtual DJ. Yesterday I did have 46 tabs open though, which used up 3.75Gb! I don't generally have more than 10 open though so it was a rare case.

Andrew G1

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I run things like Matlab (a huge resource hog for statistical software) and R but also do some hobby photography and graphic design. I have a Surface Pro (2017) i5/4GB/128 and I would have gotten the 8GB if I had known how bogged down things can get with only 4GB. If I were you I'd get the 8GB model.

Originally posted by xXCockHunterXx
Hello guys,

Im about to buy a surface pro and im just very unsure how much RAM I will actually need. Im an engineering student and I need to be able to run software like: Visual Studio, Matlab and AutoCAD on a daily basis. Im just curious if 4GB of RAM are actually sufficient for these applications to be running smooth? When I checked out the system requirements of Matlab it says they recommend 8GB of ram. So how much do I need? If 4GB turn out to be sufficient Im obviously gonna get the cheaper one since I dont have money to throw away. :angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial