Reasons I do not have a data connection on my AT&T 640XL??? Possible solutions?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello, everyone. Thanks for helping.
Recently, I purchased an AT&T 640XL off of eBay to use as a backup device. During initial setup, everything ran smoothly...all apps downloaded, OS seemed to run smoothly, etc, etc. Being that it was not my primary device, I didn't insert my SIM card. I just connected to wifi, installed my apps, and thought all was ok. However, yesterday, I inserted my AT&T sim and noticed a problem. I have no data connection over the AT&T network. I can make and receive calls and text messages, but cannot visit websites, use Cortana, or use any app that uses a data connection.
Out of curiosity, I took the SIM card out and put it in my 1520. Voila! My data connection was back. I then took the SIM out and inserted it into my Huawei P8 Max. Again, the data connection worked. I put the SIM back in my 640XL.....data connection gone. :(
I called AT&T. They "refreshed" my data connection...whatever that means. They also suggested that I go to a retail store and get a new SIM card.
Any help or suggestions?

Thanks

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, try going into SIM settings and search for networks.
Instead of selecting automatic, manually choose your provider.
The phone may ask to restart.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Tried the APN settings. Got my data connection back. Yay! However, now my MMS messaging is all wonky. Resetting phone with SIM card installed. Hoping that forces all of the setting back to working order with AT&T.
Thanks for the help.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Annnnnnd no. Resetting didn't help. Guess I'll head to an AT&T store to try a new SIM.

getting data was one thing when I had to change the APN in the past. for MMS you also have to add that:
a new SIM is probably the better route so it won't happen again when you reset.

APN: wap.cingular
USER NAME: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
PASSWORD:
WAP GATEWAY(URL):wireless.cingular.com
WAP GATEWAY PORT: 80
MMSC(URL); http//mmsc.cingular.com/
MMSC PORT: 80
MAXIMUM MMS SIZE:

INTERNET APN
APN: wap.cingular
USER NAME: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
PASSSWORD:
PROXY SERVER(URL):
PROXY PORT:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You need to configure both internet and MMS APN manually.

I had to fiddle a little bit with my 640 on ATT and reboot before getting MMS working right.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You need to configure both internet and MMS APN manually.

I had to fiddle a little bit with my 640 on ATT and reboot before getting MMS working right.

Thanks, xandros9. I appreciate all of the help everyone has given.

My question is this: Why/how does this issue suddenly arise? I've been switching phones on a regular basis using the same sim card for the past four years with no issues. Is this a technical issue with my particular 640 XL or have I just simply worn out my sim card through friction/wear and tear? Thanks.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So, I have not been to an AT&T store yet to get a new sim card, but I decided to use the WDRT to get back to WP8.1 on the 640XL and see if I could get data to work on that build. Same results.....no data through the sim card. I guess I'll have to go get a new sim card for sure.

kswift3

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I have had the same issue with a couple of my unlocked phones - when I was with straight talk I had to use one setting from one possible answer, and then a possible solution listed in a second group of possibilities listed in order to get the MMS to work and before that I would bounce back & forth between having internet and no MMS and vice versa. Hope you figured it out.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this before.... It ended up being bad contacts on the phone. Try blowing some air on the SIM card contacts and see if that helps. Also if you're using an adapter to turn your nano SIM into a micro SIM, make sure it's having a good connection. This happened to me when I went from my HTC HD7 with a regular SIM to a micro SIM on my old Lumia 521.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I ran into this before.... It ended up being bad contacts on the phone. Try blowing some air on the SIM card contacts and see if that helps. Also if you're using an adapter to turn your nano SIM into a micro SIM, make sure it's having a good connection. This happened to me when I went from my HTC HD7 with a regular SIM to a micro SIM on my old Lumia 521.

Makes sense. I'll put a small piece of paper in my sim adapter and see if that forces a better connection. Thanks for the tip.

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am getting problems with SIM data on Redstone builds, even on the latest 14364, while on TH2 everything works fine.
This is a little OT but since it involves mobile data i wanted to share my experience.
The problem is that when i tap the cellular data the phone freezes (or when i go into cellular data settings from settings app), as if it tries to read some info or data that cannot retrieve.
But there are some interesting points:
- when i use my Italian SIM the phone (Lumia 925) works perfectly, no freeze when turning on/off SIM data.
- putting in my German SIM, i always have this issue, so i am wondering if it is something related to the carrier, or to the SIM itself, or maybe some wrong data are exchanged between the phone and the network. But I cannot understand why my italian SIM works perfectly. Also, with Threshold it works fine, so it might be a bug in the latest Redstone builds that in some cases brings the phone to crash.
- immediately after a reboot/reset, when i turn on Aero Mode just before the phone connect to the carrier, and then off, i have no more issue with SIM data (even with the german SIM), until i restart the phone.
- as said, never had a problem with TH2 - i know there are still bugs in W10M with mobile data and dual SIM phones, so the it might be related to this, and issues happen also with some mono-SIM devices...

I will post some news if i find something new out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria