SP3 i5 graphics underclocked after driver update

longlifexs

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I made the mistake of installing the latest Intel graphics driver directly from their website instead of waiting for it to be pushed through Windows Update. Why a mistake? Well, while I used to play Counter Strike: Global Offensive with reasonable FPS (as high as 60 in most scenarios, pretty much always over 30; very low details, down-scaled resolution obviously), after the driver update all I get is <30 FPS.

I ran HW Monitor and discovered the graphics never clock over 600 MHz, whereas before it would go all the way to 1,100 MHz. I tried reverting the drivers - no change, but I started getting a black screen for about a second whenever dis/reconnecting the power cord. Then I ran System restore - it solved the black screens and got the FPS high again, but only for a while and when I turned the PC on later today the problem is back - terrible FPS, max clock at 600 MHz.

Any idea how to get the graphics to clock all the way to the max clock when under load again? Many thanks!!

PS: there is no overheating, it doesn't clock high even when the temperature is just 50 C (before it worked ok even when over 70-80 C).

markreed

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
download driver genius, uninstall display drivers in device manager, reboot into safe mode, remove old and new intel display drivers using driver genius, reboot, scan for new windows updates. should be sorted.

markreed

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
p.s. the new drivers directly from intel do work great so not sure why they caused you problems, I get over 5000 points in cloudgate using them (plus undervolting). The issue when you remove power cable is a settings issue, turning off all the power saving features control panel / power fixes this.

TechBob

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
p.s. the new drivers directly from intel do work great so not sure why they caused you problems, I get over 5000 points in cloudgate using them (plus undervolting). The issue when you remove power cable is a settings issue, turning off all the power saving features control panel / power fixes this.

Curious. What driver from Intel's web site did you install? I downloaded the most recent one and it won't install. It says that there is a customized driver installed and refuses to install. Are you running W8.1 or W10?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold