Surface Pro 4 Wishlist Specs

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
A lot is changing with the tech/Microsoft world this next year. Intel Broadwell CPUs, underpowered Core M, Windows 10, Microsoft finally finishing Nokia segment allocations and job cuts.
These things raise conjecture for what is fitting and realistic for the next itineration of the beloved Surface Pro.
Speaking of which, here's my unfinished list for SP4:
- 10MP PureView (yes, you heard me) camera on back, with the Lumia730's front facing cam as well
- Second or Third USB 3.0 Port! Now that there is so much room on the new SP3, it seems na?ve not to take advantage of it with a few more USB ports. I always find myself in a bind to unplug things and I do not wish to use extenders because they are too clunky for a convertible and decrease performance
- 'Ultra' sku: 16GB RAM, 512GB/1TB mSATA SSD (they do exist), Core i7 Broadwell
--- Price: Hopefully around 1,900 USD
- Cheap sku: 4 GB RAM, 64GB SSD, Core M processor
--- Price: 699 USD (or lower, if MS can manage)
--- A Core M/Cheap sku might be redundant if you read my post script
- BUNDLE THE TYPECOVER: This deserves all caps: who wouldn't want/need one?
--- Also, to mitigate concerns about a bundled default color, just let buyers pick the color of their choice off the shelf
--- Not bundling the cover may make many people think that MS is cheating them due to its advertisement as a convertible
- Windows 10 Pro, of course!
---Maybe even let Surface Pro users get it a day or week earlier than everyone else. That could attract more people
- Battery life: Will naturally improve because of newer Intel chipsets, yet if MS was so inclined to add a bigger battery this time around, I wouldn't complain.
- It is imperative that MS doesn't use Core M for their pricier Pro lineup because the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro has taught us that they are basically glorified Atom cpus. The successor to the 4200U/4300U (5200U/5300U?) would most definitely suffice, plus the i7 variant for those with big wallets.
--------------------Things that should stay [Generally] the same-------------------------
- The overall shell/build of the SP3 is perfectly awesome enough to carry over into SP4
- Pen is fine (could add more sensitivity and also more Windows support with W10)
- Variable-angle stand is perfected already
- Thickness
- Charging port is epic
- Display is perfect, in my opinion. The resolution and aspect ratio are perfect for serious Windows PC users

"Sound off below" if you wish to add anything to my list, or disagree!!
Thanks,
Anubis

P.S.: a comment on non-Pro future Surface products:
Please drop the ARM in the next Surface 3/4. Newer Intel Atom/Core M chips can now provide better performance and capabilities (By this I mainly mean x86 programs) at similar battery efficiency and price levels. Leave Tegra/Snapdragon for the phones. Disadvantages of ARM include customer confusion with the capability of their specific version of Windows. This can't and shouldn't happen. If MS wants to sway users from Apple/Samsung, it must offer amazingly better features at similar or less costs.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping for fanless (maybe not til Skylake) and using that space for battery.
More USB definitely.
As for ARM, can't see it being dropped just yet. With Windows Server reportedly now running on ARM in MS internal builds there may well be life in that direction yet.

Alexey 1

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I'm working for a big company, we would like to buy Surface Pro 4 only if it has:
- Gigabit Ethernet LAN port (PoE would be best possible with Skylake low power CPU) (Please dont suggest USB-LAN adapters rubbish, why dont you buy a PC with just 1 USB port and 5 adapters? looks ugly)
- at least 2 USB ports (one 3.1 and one 3.0)
Otherwise we don't buy it (as we didn't buy previous Surface products) Please hear me Microsoft

jack dempsey

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd like something like the MacBook running Windows 10. The Surface line is not having much success. As Tim Cook said, "You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those aren't going to be pleasing to the user.". Windows 10 is great for PCs but pretty bad for tablets.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'd like something like the MacBook running Windows 10. The Surface line is not having much success. As Tim Cook said, "You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those aren't going to be pleasing to the user.". Windows 10 is great for PCs but pretty bad for tablets.
Maybe market specific, but the I've only heard positive things from the people who've used them.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I'm working for a big company, we would like to buy Surface Pro 4 only if it has:
- Gigabit Ethernet LAN port (PoE would be best possible with Skylake low power CPU) (Please dont suggest USB-LAN adapters rubbish, why dont you buy a PC with just 1 USB port and 5 adapters? looks ugly)
Otherwise we don't buy it (as we didn't buy previous Surface products) Please hear me Microsoft
So, a docking station then http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/accessories/docking-station

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm concerned that's a bit much for something like the Surface which sticks portability above raw connectivity.
I think Ethernet itself may actually be thicker than the tablet.

Sounds like you really want a device that's more laptop.

I believe the Surface line is doing well. Might not be flying off the shelves, but I'm seeing more and more.

Well, Tim Cook also said that because the company has a stake in denouncing such gizmos.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Also, as Wi-Fi ac becomes the norm, they'll be less "need" for USB gigabit LAN adaptors. And Bluetooth should already be the de facto for any desk that wants to avoid ugly USB adaptors. So, really, a single SuperSpeed USB socket is probably just fine for most Surface users.

Shenook

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
My wish list,
1tb ssd
Bigger battery, size increase is ok.
3 years of office 365
16gb ram, decent CPU hopefully not just m
Less reflective display
USB 3.1 x2

Dock that has ability to install an ssd along with current dock options.

Maybe offer thicker keyboard cover for better tactile feel and feedback of keys.

Sync capability to windows phone
Mirror capability of windows phone

Last but not lease a high quality saber DAC (digital to analog converter)

Skylake CPU with active fans.

Fabe56

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

Disagree, the Surface line is so great. Need just a fanless version for SP4 IMO.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Also, as Wi-Fi ac becomes the norm, they'll be less "need" for USB gigabit LAN adaptors. And Bluetooth should already be the de facto for any desk that wants to avoid ugly USB adaptors. So, really, a single SuperSpeed USB socket is probably just fine for most Surface users.

Yes, Wifi is fast enough for many tasks. Even for BT, I feel happy using Wifi only.

Even in office and home, there is no absolute need to use LAN for me. LAN port may be necessary for a pure desktop only.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Well, Tim Cook is not God. We should not regard what he says as a golden theory.

He said so simply because Surface is MacBook's competitor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Properusbuy