Too good to be true??

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Came across this laptop on Amazon ... very temping!
"Spy machine" ???
Thoughts??
Pretty cool Surface Laptop Studio clone. Cheap for what you get but some big drawbacks which might be a dealbreaker: entry performance (celeron cpu), according to review section bad battery life and I would guess that the overall build quality is mediocre (considering how cheap it is, that includes likely a bad fingerscanner, not good touchpad etc.).
Still would like to see more popular brands make clones of this and the SLS. The extra support feet is also a nice touch, cheap but efficient.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would NEVER buy a cheap Chinese laptop or phone - even off of Amazon - there have been countless stories of them being stacked with spyware buried deep and data collecting software most of which aren’t detected right away, but later on after some computer team starts digging into them. A Google search can offer up lots of warnings. In the end, the risk is on the buyer.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I would NEVER buy a cheap Chinese laptop or phone - even off of Amazon - there have been countless stories of them being stacked with spyware buried deep and data collecting software most of which aren’t detected right away, but later on after some computer team starts digging into them. A Google search can offer up lots of warnings. In the end, the risk is on the buyer.
True, even Lenovo was caught having Superfish on several generations of laptops ( this article sums them up: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/lenovo-settlement-superfish-scandal-progress,38657.html ). Some OEMs also let the bloatware/junk be installed through the Bios so even if you do a fresh Windows reinstall, those programs will still be installed (though I am not sure if this method is used by OEMs for adware).
Afaik with phones the risk is bigger, where there have multiple times where trojan horses have been found in Chinese phones like from Doogee.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv