Upgrade from Lumia 520 to 650: How to get all data (messages, contacts, apps, settings,..) migrated?

Ed_Win

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

In a few days I will buy a Microsoft Lumia 650, which runs on Windows 10 Mobile. Currently I have a Nokia Lumia 520, which runs on Windows Phone 8.1, Denim.

I'm not sure what I have to do exactly to find all my text messages, contacts, apps and settings back on the new 650.

I have the following back up settings on the 520 (note, these are translated from Dutch):

- Apps and settings: Backup of settings: Enabled. Backup of apps: Enabled.
- Text messages: Back up of text messages: Enabled. About the option "Download messages", I selected "Everything from the past".
- Photos and videos: Both are uploaded in the best quality (which requires Wi-Fi).

What do I have to do additionally to get everything back on the new 650? Do I have to get additional apps first? If so, which?

I read something about the "contacts+message backup app" and the "Transfer my Data" app. Do I actually need those?

One more thing. I'm wondering how the backups of the text message on my Lumia 520 are made. Are they somehow uploaded each time I send/receive one, or are they synchronized when I connect to the internet?

Please disregard my previous thread, because I posted it as guest :/

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Login with the same Microsoft account on your L650, choose the most recent backup to restore to it, then wait. Done.

Your photos/videos/downloads/music/etc you move over manually, or if you have them already on the SD card, just put the SD card in the new phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, as far I know, there is no way to have apps be exactly the same when moving to a new Windows Phone. Some apps do support backups that you can reload, like Realarm, but generally you will have to sign in/set up again after all of your apps download.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some apps do support backups that you can reload

One of the things to look forward to with W10M is that more app data gets backed up. I know it doesn't help you now, but it is an incentive to make the move.

The largest part of what you want is in the cloud. By using the backup as you have doen, you are ahead of the curve. Make that last backup just before switching. Mostly you benefit from simply signing into all the same accounts as you had on the 520.

Welcome to Windows Central. I hope you like your new phone and feel free to tell us all about it. Check out some of the sticky threads at the top of the 650 forum that are just waiting for your input.

Ed_Win

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Everything worked well, except for the text messages. Almost all of them are missing in my 650. What can I do to get them from my old 520 to my 650?

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Everything worked well, except for the text messages. Almost all of them are missing in my 650. What can I do to get them from my old 520 to my 650?
Wait and wait some more. It took AGES to pull them down on my migration.

saurabh7890

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

For text messages you can use contacts+ message backup app. After installing this app you can find it extras in Settings. By this app you can backup and restore contacts and text messages via sd card very easily.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
For text messages you can use contacts+ message backup app. After installing this app you can find it extras in Settings. By this app you can backup and restore contacts and text messages via sd card very easily.
You can also duplicate every message in your history if you're impatient and don't wait for the OneDrive synced messages backups to be restored to the device.

Ed_Win

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.

Wait and wait some more. It took AGES to pull them down on my migration.

What timeframe are we talking about?

It looks like I can't install this app on the 520. It looks like a region issue. This surprises me, because I was able to install it on the 650, which uses the same region, language,... One would expect to have it available in both the Win10 Mobile store and the WP8.1 store for the same region etc. My region is Belgium, Dutch (or Flemish) language. Any way to circumvent this limitation?

You can also duplicate every message in your history if you're impatient and don't wait for the OneDrive synced messages backups to be restored to the device.

I'm afraid this might happen. It wouldn't be a disaster, but annoying it would be. If I somehow manage to get said app on the 520, I could make a backup and wait a few weeks to see if they are synchronized, I guess. And if not, then I'd import them.

The problem is, my sister wants to use my 520 (her first smartphone ever). So I can't really keep on waiting. If I'd wipe it now, are my chances to have the messages synchronized zero, or are they already available in the cloud and will synchronize anyway (besides the long wait)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard