US Carrier Sales & WP8 going forward

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
In my boredom, I decided to look at sales from US carriers per quarter ( sorry but I don't know enough about markets outside of the US ) These are the numbers I dug up for this year

VERIZON 2012 Q1
6.3 million activations
  • 3.2 iOS devices
  • ? android / WP / RIM / others
  • ? WP/RIM/others

AT&T 2012 Q1
5.5 million activations
  • 4.3 iOS devices
  • 1.2 android / WP / RIM / others

VERIZON 2012 Q2
5.9 million activations
  • 2.7 iOS devices
  • 2.9 android / WP / RIM / others
  • 0.3 WP/RIM/others

AT&T 2012 Q2
5.1 million activations
  • 3.7 iOS devices
  • 1.4 android / WP / RIM / others

VERIZON 2012 Q3
6.8 million activations
  • 3.13 iOS devices (650k were iPhone 5)
  • 3.4 android devices
  • 0.3 WP/RIM/others

AT&T 2012 Q3
6.1 million activations
  • 4.7 iOS devices
  • 1.4 android devices / WP/RIM/others

ITEMS OF NOTE:
- AT&T is basically an iPhone shop where ANDROID can't get even get 50% market share
- Many people still purchase older iPhones

QUESTION:
Looking at the past, what's a realistic guess on sales number of Nokia on AT&T when even the best of Androids can't make a dent. I think a million sales is unrealistic on AT&T based upon the past. Not to mention if HTC/Samsung throw their products into the mix.

I don't have the number for the Holiday season, but how much damage could all three OEM do on AT&T?

I guess the exclusive AT&T gave Nokia might(?) eat into android 1+ million share but there's no way its taking share away from the iPhone loving AT&T crowd. I don't know...

Last edited:

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused by what you mean by "AT&T is basically an iPhone shop where ANDROID can't get a respectable market share." I'm not sure you can call roughly 25-35% marketshare not respectable.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well there are almost as many iphones and even more android devices sold on Verizon so wouldnt Nokia have just as hard and maybe harder time on that carrier? They should have a better chance of sales on at&t since android's penetration is lower and with the carrier pushing it exclusively. I dont see how your criteria applies to at&t but not Verizon.

Last edited:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused by what you mean by "AT&T is basically an iPhone shop where ANDROID can't get a respectable market share." I'm not sure you can call roughly 25-35% marketshare not respectable.

Correct, Let me update that I was looking at it compare to Verizon's 50% share, will edit the wording

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Well there are almost as many iphones and even more android devices sold on Verizon so wouldnt Nokia have just as hard and maybe harder time on that carrier? I dont see how your criteria applies to at&t but not Verizon.

corrected 2x in one thread :lol:

Yeah up, it would apply to Verizon as well

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter. The united states market is irrelevant. EU is the only market that matters. #americaisntthecenteroftheworldasthedentistfreeworldcallsit

I am not familiar enough with the EU market, so can you explain the exclusive deals over there and provide us with market share breakdowns. Sorry but I don't even know who the big carriers are.

I heard something about Everything Everything but I don't know if it spans across all of EU or just England.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not familiar enough with the EU market, so can you explain the exclusive deals over there and provide us with market share breakdowns. Sorry but I don't even know who the big carriers are.

I heard something about Everything Everything but I don't know if it spans across all of EU or just England.

There are no "exclusive deals" in the EU. The EU wants carriers to compete based on the quality and price of their network services, which is why EU law mandates that if a device manufacturer sells handsets to one European carrier it must sell to all carriers at the same price and under the same conditions.

The largest european carriers are probably:

Deutsche Telekom (German, around 150 million subscribers worldwide, operates T-Mobile in the U.S.)
Telefonica (Spanish, around 230 million subscribers worldwide)
Orange (French, around 230 million subscribers worldwide)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital