We have no plans to bring Xbox Game Pass to PlayStation or Nintendo." Xbox CEO Phil Spencer on console hardware, the future of Activision-Blizzard,...

Ronnie2

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
That's not too surprising really. I know Phil has always touted that they are more about the gaming service over the hardware but I'm pretty sure Microsoft would rather those games be played on the Windows OS in some form or another. Otherwise there'd be no incentive at all to buy an Xbox or a Windows PC to play games on Game Pass.

Reactions: nop

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
What would you have asked?
I have no problem with the questions, but a couple of them could have used followups.

Like the innovation question. It would have been interesting to ask about the ML module in the current consoles--who, if anybody, is using it, what for, and is it a placeholder for a full-blown AI accelerator for the next generation?

Other questions come to mind, too; about a retro mini360 to keep the 360 store open instead of shutting it down, about deals with other TV makers not named Sony, about putting mobile games on console (maybe using the Windows android subsystem), about finding a legal way to put retrogaming into XBOX...

If Spencer is serious about learning how people do gaming, he should be thinking about those things because the tech is out there today and he's leaving money on the table. Even if he is and can't talk about it, somebody somewhere should grill him on those edge cases.

TrulyForsaken

Dec 2, 2023
Visit site
I think it was obvious they aren't bringing gamepass to other consoles. What would have been more important to focus on is if Xbox is going to focus on owning exclusive developers for games or if they are going to consider licensing out so other platforms can play their games. I would have been interested in hearing more about cross-platform support and development. I'm a pc gamer with friends on Xbox so support for existing games and future games is important to me.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with the questions, but a couple of them could have used followups.

Like the innovation question. It would have been interesting to ask about the ML module in the current consoles--who, if anybody, is using it, what for, and is it a placeholder for a full-blown AI accelerator for the next generation?

Other questions come to mind, too; about a retro mini360 to keep the 360 store open instead of shutting it down, about deals with other TV makers not named Sony, about putting mobile games on console (maybe using the Windows android subsystem), about finding a legal way to put retrogaming into XBOX...

If Spencer is serious about learning how people do gaming, he should be thinking about those things because the tech is out there today and he's leaving money on the table. Even if he is and can't talk about it, somebody somewhere should grill him on those edge cases.
just so you know, i had 15 minutes. it's easy to "hindsight" it when you imagine a scenario where i had like.. an hour. follow up questions would've gobbled up time focusing on one topic. people wanted answers on a broad array of things, so i did my best in the timeslot alloted. phil did a ton of press interviews in brazil that day, so had to get in what i could!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlimPulseWeightLoss