Few questions about TP2 (MAY LEAD TO MORE)

ikith

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
1. Is there push email?

2. Do I need exchange to get push email?

3. Do I need exchange to backup contacts?

4. I'm coming from a blackberry so is there something like BBDM or is it all through exchange or?

5. How are software updates done?

6. Do I have to buy upgrades? For example from 6.1 to 6.5?

7. Is there threaded SMS and MMS?

kxs783kms#WP

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
1. Yes
2. No
3. Nope....other options. (*Sprite, SPB backup,etc.*)
4. Yes....Windows Mobile Device Center.(*browse phone files, get updates,etc.*)
5. Don't know...(*my first winmo device and Oct. 6th will be my first update.*)
6. No...not this time. From my understanding it will be free.
7. Yes

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Let's offer up some links ...

1. Is there push email?

Yep. You can use Google Mobile sync if you're the gmail type. I use the SEVEN beta for home e-mail and Exchange for work, and there are other options out there.

2. Do I need exchange to get push email?

Nope. See above.

3. Do I need exchange to backup contacts?

Nope. Many of the other clients will back up contacts, and you can also use Microsoft's free My Phone service.

4. I'm coming from a blackberry so is there something like BBDM or is it all through exchange or?

kxs783kms is right. You can use Windows Mobile Device Center. Or not. I rarely have to sync over the desktop.

5. How are software updates done?

As far as apps, developers (the good ones anyway) bake an update system into their app. Others don't and require you to download a new version from their Web site. (Looking at you, Google Maps!)

Full on operating system updates are a little more tricky. They're either released by the carriers, or the phone manufacturer. But everyone's getting better about them, and we're expecting (hopefully) much easier updates come Windows Mobile 7.

6. Do I have to buy upgrades? For example from 6.1 to 6.5?

Nope. And if you're getting an HTC device (and occasionally others), there are tons of "cooked" ROMs floating around out there. That's the power of WinMo!

7. Is there threaded SMS and MMS?

Oh, yeah. Not a problem.

ikith

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Awesome. Just to verify Threaded SMS and MMS is integrated into WM and not something I have to go download correct?

Oh and hows the touch screen? Do you have to use the stylus a lot or can you use fingers?

Oh and is there a way to put a password on the phone so I have to type a password in before I can unlock the phone?

Last edited:

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
yup... MMS and SMS are built in. Nothing to download.

Touch screen varies from app to app. Most are "finger friendly" these days. But some things like settings area still benefit from the stylus.

You can add a complex or simple password (from the settings area).

ikith

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
yup... MMS and SMS are built in. Nothing to download.

Touch screen varies from app to app. Most are "finger friendly" these days. But some things like settings area still benefit from the stylus.

You can add a complex or simple password (from the settings area).

Theres a different between mms and sms and threaded sms and mms. Threaded mms and sms look like a chat on aim. Just normal mms and sms are individual texts and not well threaded.

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
ikith makes a good point about the threading... and thx kxs 4 the clarification... i haven't been able to get mms to work properly on my sprint tp2...

ikith

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Is there any other websites I should know about for Winmo phones? I have a collection for my blackberry which will be of no use to me come my phone (Which gets here tuesday from what I understand). Thanks for all the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre