Anything new for Verizon on the horizon?

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi there this is my first post on this site, but I am an active member of AndroidCentral, Crackberry and (to a lesser degree) TIBP. I am a tech enthusiast on Verizon and considering getting a WP7 phone to complement my smartphone collection.

I know the HTC Trophy just launched and it appears to be a nice little phone, but I was wondering if there was anything else on the horizon (the next 3-4 months) for Verizon. Upon a cursory look I didn't find anything. My preferred hardware manufacturers are HTC, Motorola, and LG.

Thanks in advance :)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There hasnt been any news about which carriers are getting new hardware, but I wouldn't count on anything new coming to Verizon anytime soon. They don't seem to be big fans of wp7. I briefly considered waiting for the next generation of devices but considering how long it took them to release the trophy I'd be surprised if we see anything new before next year.

I'm glad I didn't wait and decided to get the trophy. You should consider it, it's a pretty nice phone :)

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
There hasnt been any news about which carriers are getting new hardware, but I wouldn't count on anything new coming to Verizon anytime soon. They don't seem to be big fans of wp7. I briefly considered waiting for the next generation of devices but considering how long it took them to release the trophy I'd be surprised if we see anything new before next year.

I'm glad I didn't wait and decided to get the trophy. You should consider it, it's a pretty nice phone :)

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

From what I understood the release of the Trophy had more to do with them getting the CDMA radio code to work well with the OS followed by a delay to allow iToy4 to have it's chance to shine (same reason several Android handset release dates were bumped).

But yes that was my impression as well that it was gonna be a while before we see anything else. The media has made WP7 out to be a poor seller and VZW is no doubt using the Trophy as a litmus test to see how well it sells and how many more resources they are willing to invest in the platform.

I played with the Trophy in the store a couple weeks ago and have always liked HTC build quality. Ideally I would like to see a side sliding keyboard from LG but we shall see.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd say just wait until Fall, really not too far away. Should see the new wave of devices in September, maybe October. I imagine VZW would get at least one new device then.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd say just wait until Fall, really not too far away. Should see the new wave of devices in September, maybe October. I imagine VZW would get at least one new device then.

I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see what comes up in the rumor mill as far as what may be coming, but things have changed a little since I posted this thread. I just received a job promotion where I will be selling contract cel phones, but we will only have dummy phones in store. Having a my own WP7 phone will greatly help me get to know the product and make it easier to sell WP7 phones.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
CDMA support only recently came to wp7 software, which is why it took awhile for Verizon to get one. I imagine they will also 'want' one a little more come mango, as it will be a much more mature OS feature wise at that point. So I expect they will have at least one or two phones released in fall/winter.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot will depend on how well the Trophy was received. If Verizon sees enough interest (through sales numbers and customer feedback) they may move a little quicker to get a couple more devices in their lineup.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
CDMA support only recently came to wp7 software, which is why it took awhile for Verizon to get one. I imagine they will also 'want' one a little more come mango, as it will be a much more mature OS feature wise at that point. So I expect they will have at least one or two phones released in fall/winter.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't I read somewhere that all current handsets are getting Mango?

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see what comes up in the rumor mill as far as what may be coming, but things have changed a little since I posted this thread. I just received a job promotion where I will be selling contract cel phones, but we will only have dummy phones in store. Having a my own WP7 phone will greatly help me get to know the product and make it easier to sell WP7 phones.

OK so I changed my mind lol...

Found a great deal on the Trophy on walmart.com (really fulfilled through LetsTalk.com)... $49.99 so I jumped and got the Trophy.

I've had it for about 3 hours now playing with it ever since (was waiting for me when I got home from work). So far so good, the OS is fast and fluid and the phone itself seems to have a good radio in it. Not sure I am ever gonna really like the home screen but the apps so far seem to be pretty nice.

Does anybody know if I still qualify for the free XBox game even though I bought it through an indirect and not VZW or MS themselves?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Then there is really no benefit in waiting or penalty for buying now other than the possibility of better specs.

The benefit is more options and newer hardware, but you are right there is no penalty in buying one of the ones out now. I bought a focus and will use that until the phone I want comes out. That could be this year, or next year.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
OK so I changed my mind lol...

Found a great deal on the Trophy on walmart.com (really fulfilled through LetsTalk.com)... $49.99 so I jumped and got the Trophy.

I've had it for about 3 hours now playing with it ever since (was waiting for me when I got home from work). So far so good, the OS is fast and fluid and the phone itself seems to have a good radio in it. Not sure I am ever gonna really like the home screen but the apps so far seem to be pretty nice.

Does anybody know if I still qualify for the free XBox game even though I bought it through an indirect and not VZW or MS themselves?

The homescreen is a little different, and may take a little bit to get used to it. Once you set it up and start using it day to day it will quickly grow on you. Although there is always a chance its just not your thing, but hopefully thats not the case.

I'm not sure about the xbox game.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The homescreen is a little different, and may take a little bit to get used to it. Once you set it up and start using it day to day it will quickly grow on you. Although there is always a chance its just not your thing, but hopefully thats not the case.

I'm not sure about the xbox game.

I moved the HTC hub to the top of the screen and that has appeased my seems of aesthetic to some degree but yes it may be functional this way but not my thin. But then I am not using this as my daily driver so to speak but rather an additional device to give me more mobile options and to learn WP7 so I can answer basic customer questions about it. You can only learn just so much on YouTube and playing with in store demos (which I will have to go elsewhere for since the only live units we will have are iToys and one Android device for in store use as I understand it).

I found a link elsewhere to order the xbox game. It's on it's way. I dont even have an xbox nor do I want one but I figure I will find a friend/relative to give/trade/sell it to or sell it on eBay.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Install a few push/live tile apps. That will liven the Start screen up a bit.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
also The Onion has a live tile, BBC News, The WPCentral app has a live tile that shows breaking WP news and stories, Prime TV is a live tile too.

ptb127

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I may take back my i4 for the HTC Trophy but I am leary of buying it and then a new WP7 phone comes out.. I haven't heard any rumors whatsoever yet about new windows phones... any new news?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte