Two rumored Nokia devices, both HSPA

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Still hoping for some Nokia love over at Verizon, but it's not looking good. NO sign of new handsets, despite two confirmed and two rumored, all ATT&T Mobile. Will be more than disappointed to change carriers to stick with Windows phone, but I would do it. Windows phone is *that* good. Come on, Verizon...

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't blame Nokia, it goes both ways. If Nokia pitches phones to VZW and they do not swing, then that is VZW.

It coild be that ATT wants exclusitivity contract with Nokia.

Then again, it could simply be that Nokia does have a CDMA chipset to use just yet and they could be working on it.

Michael.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Nokia does not care about CDMA. They are a global company, and they hardly sell anything in the USA as it is. Verizon and Sprint on the last things on their mind. And of course, Verizon and Sprint don't care either, they are too busy swimming in their swimming pools of cash that Google gives them to not sell anything but Android. You really have to face the facts, if you like Windows Phone, you must go GSM.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nokia does not care about CDMA.

I wouldn't go that far. Nokia could not get into an acceptable licensing agreement w/ Qualcomm to license and use CDMA technology a few years ago. Now that they have made amends and Nokia will be using Qualcomm chipsets once more...

They are a global company, and they hardly sell anything in the USA as it is.

And there are reasons for that. Trust me, Nokia wants back in to the USA, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Michael.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nokia was the driving force behind the Europe wide adoption of of GSM, and did their best to ignore CDMA. But they never sold well in the US on the GSM networks either. While Americans like indestructible phones, they seem to prefer that they not be heavy, bulky, sharp cornered and running clunky, inferior software. Now that they've joined the 21st century, maybe they'll discover the western hemisphere too.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If Nokia doesn't want in the USA market - that's suicide. WP7 is their entry back in.

Its up to the carriers. If they dont want a Nokia phone, nothing Nokia can do about it. Seeing as they are all now either in google's and/or apple's hand Nokia can only go where they can. If that's Europe, not much anyone can do about it.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It sure seems like Verizon is the one that's not interested, since none of the manufacturers have announced anything for them yet. I really hope Nokia does something. I love my trophy and I think it's a solid phone, but if that rumored Ace comes to Verizon I'm in for 2, one for me and one for the wife.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Nokia does not care about CDMA. They are a global company, and they hardly sell anything in the USA as it is. Verizon and Sprint on the last things on their mind. And of course, Verizon and Sprint don't care either, they are too busy swimming in their swimming pools of cash that Google gives them to not sell anything but Android. You really have to face the facts, if you like Windows Phone, you must go GSM.

Nokia's whole reason for switching to Windows Phone is they want a larger presence with the Western market, which also includes USA. They do care about Sprint and Verizon and will probably release a phone for them at some point. They have to build (or rebuild) a relationship with them first, though.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokias reason for getting into the USA is due to Elop/Ballmer strategies. This has been to the detriment of Nokia and it's shareholders. There is a fixation on getting into the USA market and taking on the iPhone clan. They have conveniently ignored their success elsewhere.
I am hoping that a Windows OS coupled with the good quality of a Nokia phone will be a success.
But, as has been mentioned prior and in other threads, in the USA, a phone or OS's success depends on the marketing and the carriers being willing to play along.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
CJ-M got my point- Microsoft and Nokia's partnership had to include a desire to get in the U.S. market, as well as our Canadian neighbors. Microsoft wants an ecosystem that runs from the personnel computer to tablets and through smart phones. Why jump on Nokia's excellent hardware and not bring it to the US? When Elop was pitching this WP idea to the Nokia higher ups before he was hired (Really, is there anyone out there who still believes Elop did this on his own? I truly believe the idea to drop Symbian and MeeGO was already signed off on before he was hired. It happened way to quick.), it had to include a strong presence in the North American market to improve profits.

I would LOVE to see the Nokia ACE hit the shores soon and watch AT&T get a hit on their hands. I would also love to see CDMA support from Nokia. Give 'em time. AT&T will lead the way due to their similar tech. But Verizon and Sprint, as well as some of the other CDMA users worldwide will get a chance.

L

lumic

I almost feel like Nokia should place focus on other markets and re-enforcing dwindling mindshare rather than chase the US market initially. Like it or not, the carriers and the consumers there are not willing to accept Windows Phone as of yet.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
And I agree with you lumic but i just think that the USA market/beating the iphone has become a fixation for some at the expense of others. That is why i appreciate WP and webOS, both are going at their own pace and direction. they are offering something different and relatively unique in terms of user experience. android and ios look very similar and the various Nokia OS are also creeping into that same similar category.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo