Really need a slider with a new device...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Quantum the day it was available...yes, I've been a proud windows phone owner since it was available (nearly 2 years now, my 2 year contract expires in March). I'm really disappointed that there isn't a slider option with the newer equipment.

Are there any rumors of a new device that might have a slider? I'm not sure that I can live without it now that I've had one for a couple years, and quite frankly, the Quantum still kicks serious ***, no issues at all (well, other than the strange keyboard issue since Mango).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
To me, with the bigger screens coming out, onscreen keyboards are much easier to get use to.

I used Palm for years and I was really use to having a real keyboard.

Just a thought.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I hear you palandri, I wish there was an ATT store that actually had a Titan or similar device on demo I could try it out on. But, I really like the tactile feel of a hard button keyboard. I don't even mind that the core OS doesn't support landscape mode when the keyboard is deployed. Don't get me wrong, Windows Phone is my OS of choice...by far, and I've had them all. I just prefer a hard keyboard, and if you want to destroy the inferior systems, you should have that too. :)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you, I re upped my contract when I bought one and it expires in March, I'm looking at my account now.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
TBH im waiting too because i hate using the onscreen with one hand, grr so frustrating and when my hands are cold.
I like the ability to use the real keyboard on the DVP :)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried out the titan today, and the landscape virtual keypad is good sized, but would still prefer a hard keyboard, you're right monotok...

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I with you, I got my dell venue pro becuase it was had a keyboard. I ****ing love the phone so much. I have tryed the on screen keyboard alot, I still very much prefer the slide out. It is so much easyer for someone with big shacky hands like me. Im praying some new side slider come to WP7 soon. I would kill for a updated venue pro with a side slider. The vertigal slider is ok, but after having the tilt 2 witch had a silde slider there no compairison.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I went through all the treo's ecept the first three staring with the 600 but I am over physical kb's I hd the tilt2 and used the physical kb three or four times. What I really wanterd after getting the tilt2 was if it could be cot in half ditching the physical kb. It was too heavy! for me.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, first of all, I should mention that there WILL be upcoming Windows Phones that will have an optional slide out keyboard. That is almost guaranteed. How do I know this? Do you all remember a couple of months ago when Microsoft filed for a patent for a slide out tray with interchangeable parts (you could put in a gaming pad or a keyboard or whatever). Well, that is a pretty good indicator as to what is to come. It may not happen until Apollo though.

Secondly, and I'm gonna put this here since we are talking about keyboards and my idea has a keyboard in it. Imagine having the 5.3 inch HD display of the Galaxy Note but then being able to flip it open (like a Nokia E90) and reveal pretty much a very mobile netbook. I mean at that size you could almost fit a small laptop-like keyboard in there. To give you more of a visual: myviliv.com

All we would need to do is shrink down the keyboard slightly more. I don't know, that's my dream device. A Galaxy Note, netbook all rolled up into one. I think I'm starting to get a little hot just thinking about it.

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
There are 2 big problems with side-slider keyboards.

1. It's inconvenient to slide out and wait for the screen to rotate just to enter login details or short response. That is why, irrespective of OS, most people end up using the on screen keyboard for common tasks even if they have a physical keyboard available.

2. The bigger WP7-specific issue is that WP7 just isn't designed for landscape use. Right from first use, you find that the Lock screen, PIN screen, Home screen, and even the Dialler are stuck in Portrait. So the a side-slider phone like the HTC 7 Pro can't be left open on a desk which is precisely what the 'mini-laptop' form factor is designed for, nor can you use many core (and 3rd party) apps with the keyboard open without having to constantly rotate the phone to read the display and getting a crick in the neck. That's why the Dell Venue Pro vertical was the perfect solution for WP7.

Until MS acknowledge that there is a need to have landscape support, even in their own core apps (and on a mobile phone, you can't get much more core than the home screen and dialler), it's no surprise that ODMs are reluctant to invest on landscape hardware for WP7 when the user experience on any such device is so seriously unsupported and broken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb