Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Developer

I bought the Quantum the day it was available...yes, I've been a proud windows phone owner since it was available (nearly 2 years now, my 2 year contract expires in March). I'm really disappointed that there isn't a slider option with the newer equipment.

Are there any rumors of a new device that might have a slider? I'm not sure that I can live without it now that I've had one for a couple years, and quite frankly, the Quantum still kicks serious ***, no issues at all (well, other than the strange keyboard issue since Mango).
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,271 Global Posts
    To me, with the bigger screens coming out, onscreen keyboards are much easier to get use to.

I used Palm for years and I was really use to having a real keyboard.

Just a thought.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Developer

I hear you palandri, I wish there was an ATT store that actually had a Titan or similar device on demo I could try it out on. But, I really like the tactile feel of a hard button keyboard. I don't even mind that the core OS doesn't support landscape mode when the keyboard is deployed. Don't get me wrong, Windows Phone is my OS of choice...by far, and I've had them all. I just prefer a hard keyboard, and if you want to destroy the inferior systems, you should have that too. :-)

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I know what you mean, except... the Quantum's only been out a little over a year and a month now not nearly 2. :P
    ♥♥♥
    Developer

I don't know what to tell you, I re upped my contract when I bought one and it expires in March, I'm looking at my account now.

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    The only other phones that have physical keyboards is the Arrive/7 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    The only other phones that have physical keyboards is the Arrive/7 Pro.
    ahem.... DVP

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    ahem.... DVP
    yeah that too.
    Developer

I'd certainly check out the 7 Pro if it was available on ATT. Maybe something will come along before March 2012.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    TBH im waiting too because i hate using the onscreen with one hand, grr so frustrating and when my hands are cold.
    I like the ability to use the real keyboard on the DVP (:
    Developer

I tried out the titan today, and the landscape virtual keypad is good sized, but would still prefer a hard keyboard, you're right monotok...

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I with you, I got my dell venue pro becuase it was had a keyboard. I ****ing love the phone so much. I have tryed the on screen keyboard alot, I still very much prefer the slide out. It is so much easyer for someone with big shacky hands like me. Im praying some new side slider come to WP7 soon. I would kill for a updated venue pro with a side slider. The vertigal slider is ok, but after having the tilt 2 witch had a silde slider there no compairison.

Well, hope that CES shows some then! Only a few more days of waiting!

Global Posts
    2,411 Global Posts
    I went through all the treo's ecept the first three staring with the 600 but I am over physical kb's I hd the tilt2 and used the physical kb three or four times. What I really wanterd after getting the tilt2 was if it could be cot in half ditching the physical kb. It was too heavy! for me.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    3,099 Global Posts
    I'd like to see a Nokia with the physical keyboard.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    I'd like to see a Nokia with the physical keyboard.
    Same here! Also would like to see from dell and Samsung as well. All with side sliders.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Well, first of all, I should mention that there WILL be upcoming Windows Phones that will have an optional slide out keyboard. That is almost guaranteed. How do I know this? Do you all remember a couple of months ago when Microsoft filed for a patent for a slide out tray with interchangeable parts (you could put in a gaming pad or a keyboard or whatever). Well, that is a pretty good indicator as to what is to come. It may not happen until Apollo though.

Secondly, and I'm gonna put this here since we are talking about keyboards and my idea has a keyboard in it. Imagine having the 5.3 inch HD display of the Galaxy Note but then being able to flip it open (like a Nokia E90) and reveal pretty much a very mobile netbook. I mean at that size you could almost fit a small laptop-like keyboard in there. To give you more of a visual: myviliv.com

All we would need to do is shrink down the keyboard slightly more. I don't know, that's my dream device. A Galaxy Note, netbook all rolled up into one. I think I'm starting to get a little hot just thinking about it.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    That Sony was shown by the WPCentral guys today to be an old device. It's a non-starter.

At this point though, the only rumoured device on the horizon is the Samsung Mendel.

I'd be very, very surprised if MS goes into MWC with only one device being revealed. It's only a month away at this point.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Lumia 920 - Lumia 1020
  19. Me2

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    There are 2 big problems with side-slider keyboards.

1. It's inconvenient to slide out and wait for the screen to rotate just to enter login details or short response. That is why, irrespective of OS, most people end up using the on screen keyboard for common tasks even if they have a physical keyboard available.

2. The bigger WP7-specific issue is that WP7 just isn't designed for landscape use. Right from first use, you find that the Lock screen, PIN screen, Home screen, and even the Dialler are stuck in Portrait. So the a side-slider phone like the HTC 7 Pro can't be left open on a desk which is precisely what the 'mini-laptop' form factor is designed for, nor can you use many core (and 3rd party) apps with the keyboard open without having to constantly rotate the phone to read the display and getting a crick in the neck. That's why the Dell Venue Pro vertical was the perfect solution for WP7.

Until MS acknowledge that there is a need to have landscape support, even in their own core apps (and on a mobile phone, you can't get much more core than the home screen and dialler), it's no surprise that ODMs are reluctant to invest on landscape hardware for WP7 when the user experience on any such device is so seriously unsupported and broken.
    Thanked by:
    Aeon2k 
    snowmutt and Aeon2k like this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Those are little reason for not having a keyboard. Alot of people really like the feel of a keyboard. I mean I got my DellVP and I go crazy trying to use the on screen keyboard, I gotta slide it down. With phones becomming so thin, the thickness factor is fastlest dropping out. I WP7 is so responsive I dont think the slide down to landscape mod wait is going to be a problem. I mean those little reasons cant be stopping them from making new sliders. I 100% also think that Apollo will have a whole lot of phones with slider keyboards, mostly becuase so many phone companys are now jumping on the WP7 wagon.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Side slider with keyboard is mandatory for me. I do not like soft keyboards and all the typos that come with them. I even got frustrated using the soft keyboard on my dad's 7" tablet the other day. I will keep this Quantum until it turns into dust if I have to! However, I'm hopeful that Nokia at least will release a slider since they have one in their recent Symbian line-up geared towards business users.

Global Posts
    3,099 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHeroFromDOOM View Post
    Same here! Also would like to see from dell and Samsung as well. All with side sliders.
    I'd actually purchase a slider Nokia at full retail as I'm not elegible to upgrade until like August.

Global Posts
    3,099 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lippidp View Post
    Side slider with keyboard is mandatory for me. I do not like soft keyboards and all the typos that come with them. I even got frustrated using the soft keyboard on my dad's 7" tablet the other day. I will keep this Quantum until it turns into dust if I have to! However, I'm hopeful that Nokia at least will release a slider since they have one in their recent Symbian line-up geared towards business users.
    If you're thinking of the Nokia E7, then it's got an awesome keyboard. If they'd beef up the specs and put Mango on it, then I'd wait in line to get one. Heck, it doesn't even have to be LTE for me to get it. I'm happy with 3G or HSPA+ as that's all I have where I live anyway.

Im waiting on a Nokia WP7 phone with a qwerty slider keyboard, I have the N900 currently and just love the keyboard on it, give me a similair WP7 device and I pre-order it right away!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast