Sprint, wp ... finally??

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
just heard Noah for TechnoBuffalo say sprint may be getting a qwerty from Nokia. If so, that proves even more that Sprint is not really putting any effort into WP. More people buy touchscreens than qwerty. I have the arrive and have never ever used the keyboard

skillit0

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I use my keyboard mainly because the phone just feels to bulky not to use it and also the disappering keyboard fix still not there...

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
just heard Noah for TechnoBuffalo say sprint may be getting a qwerty from Nokia. If so, that proves even more that Sprint is not really putting any effort into WP. More people buy touchscreens than qwerty. I have the arrive and have never ever used the keyboard

Thats the MS nerd rumor?

The rumor is that they are testing a Nokia designed Dual core LTE Apollo device. No other specs have been mentioned. Outside of the Snapdragon 8960 chipset. There was also rumor of an LG device too.

How do you conclude that a qwerty devices means lack of effort?

Last edited:

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Code:

I just love it when someone's personal preference somehow becomes a "fact" and translates to something that "most people" do!

My last visit to a cell phone display with ALL carriers being represented showed a LOT of new devices with physical keyboards in a variety of formats vertical sliders, horizontal sliders and open slab.

Which makes me chuckle a bit because they are so reminiscent of the Palm devices from Treos to the Pre! Manufacturers of these personal devices tend to offer what sells well, don't they? I even see these physical keyboard devices being offered by the no contract programs!

I personally don't like virtual keyboards and rarely use the one on my Arrive - but I don't make the leap that "most people" prefer physical keyboards. To each their own. Nokia has some solid device background, I've used several in my trail of cell phones. IF they put out a physical keyboard device it may entice me. But for now my Arrive is doing very well thank you!

The slider is still tight and snappy and I love the tilt screen. The physical keyboard for me allows faster input that is more accurate and also offers faster access to alternate keys and directional, but that doesn't mean MOST people.

What does a Nokia with a physical keyboard have to do with Sprint moving away from Windows Phones?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

You use the fact that they MIGHT be getting a new phone as proof/evidence of no effort yet you don't mention the fact that they have offered 1 phone for nearly the last 2 years as proof?

I guess...:straight:

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Arrive user also and since phones have gotten so small, I would not even consider one without a keyboard. I'm one of those big handed, fat fingered smart phone users and waited many years before finally moving into one for that very reason. Up until about 3 years ago, I was still using my Dell Axim x51v with stylus pen and even had a folding BT keyboard for it that I used when I needed to do serious work away from a computer. A TP2 was my 1st "converged" device and I moved on to an Arrive when it quite working.

Maybe, now that devices have begun to get bigger, I might be able to use a screen keyboard but I'm not holding out much hope for that.

mattemer

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Agreed with oldpueblo. I have the epic 4g now, b/c I though going from a hero, with it's teeny tiny screen, i'd want a physical kb. Errrnt. the 4" screen on the epic is enough for the on screen kb to work just as well most times. i rarely use the kb. and when i do use it, it's to making holding the phone easier when i'm watching a video. i have big fat stubby fingers as well. the wife has the epic touch, and the keyboard on that screen is even better than mine.

i think in general, people do buy more touch phones than physical keyboard phones. people want bigger and thinner, i think it's a safe assumption to say that the physical kb lovers are an ever shrinking minority. there may be a lot of phones with physical qwerty's, but not nearly as many as those without, and i'd be willing to put money on the fact that they aren't selling as much as the ones without the kb's as well.

i do think it's a bit of a jump to say sprint has given up on wp7(or 8) b/c of the physical kb, but combining that with only one wp7 in over a year, and nothing but a few random rumors, makes it safe to say, so far, they are giving up. which is killing me, b/c i am up for a new phone, my epic just shattered, and am stuck using a hero, plus the htc x, galaxy nexus, and probably gsiii are all around the corner. It's going to be hard to pass all 3 by to wait for a potentially never coming wp7/8 :( i don't know if i have the strength!

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm really kinda interested in that Samsung unit that has the stylus but that's only because I'm not that far removed from the WM devices that I used for years. I got pretty good over the years using my pen with stylus tip to write notes and jot down things and navigate the screen with ease. I'm still waiting though to see what Sprint comes out with in the next few months for WP before I seriously make any switches. I've been with Nextel and moved over to Sprint for over 15 years and, for the most part, are always cheaper in the long run and provide just as good of phone service in my area as any other provider so I really don't have a need for changing. I'll just wait and see. Maybe Sprint will surprise me in a good way by the end of the year.

Keep hope alive.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's really never been a problem for me. I almost never used the stylus that came with the device. I always used a 3 or 4 option pen that included a stylus so I could write on the screen just as I would paper. I also used it as a pointing device for the application(program) I was running at the time. Again, this was back in the olden days of the HP iPAQ's and Dell Axims before everything became a touch screen like they are now. It was the other reason I kept the PDA's for so long after nearly everyone else had gone smartphone. My fingers never worked well with the onscreen keyboard. I have a nice Dell folding BT keyboard that I carried with me away from the computer so I could type on it when I needed to . Other times I used SOTI's controller program to access and operate my PDA when synced to the desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon