Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    I could see this happening.

Each OEM will want to do something to differentiate themselves. If Sony makes a WP handset, I could see their selling point being that it would include a SEN hub app.

Gamers that own both the XBOX and PS may see it as a true gamer phone.

Wouldn't it somehow make sense if they launched WP on a Vaio line of phones rather than as Xperia? Metro will be all over their laptops and most likely on tablets as well, and will probably look like it was designed with the Vaio aesthetics in mind when they are put together.

It feels like it would be a good way to tap into the benefits of the new Windows ecosystem, as well as allow Sony to not have to put PS next to XBL since they can say that Playstation on phones is an Xperia thing.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    They cant call it xperia thats there androids..
    Audio update is out (unofficially but still) so just now wondering if Telia wants to join the carrier race or if i should change to 3 or tele2..
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Why not the Xperia 1 was a Windows Mobile phone.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    The decision makes a lot of sense for Sony since it's rather obvious they can't play the specs game. At least they make nice looking phones.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I would totally, totally, totally dig the idea of a great Windows Phone with *both* an Xbox hub and a PSN hub on it. I am not sure I see it happening though, they are really trying hard to push the PS3 as a "living room device", with Music Unlimited, Vudu movie rentals, the Sony Store, etc. I mean basically they are doing the same things that Microsoft is doing.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    The reason this rumor is completely false is that sony and microsoft are in DIRECT competition with the PS3 and xbox360. A good windows phone that ties into xbox live is not something sony want's to see. Not to mention sony already is making phones for android..

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    But they do make computers that will have Windows8. I wouldn't rule them out just yet. If they had half a brain they'd do a kick *** app that tied into their PS on both Win8 and WP8. But, Sony being Sony, they're awfully thick headed about sticking with proprietary stuff, so I doubt it.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Lumia 920 - Lumia 1020

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Anybody else notice only 3 buttons on the front of the leaked Pepper? And specs more inline with a WP than a power hungry Android?

Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Lumia 920 - Lumia 1020

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    That's actually only because, the new gen of android phones are doing away with one of the buttons, either the search function or home or menu. Which I am so glad I didn't like the 4 buttons.
    Helio>bbOS>webOS>Android>WP
    @Fr33Paco

Global Posts
    2,844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwydionjhr View Post
    Anybody else notice only 3 buttons on the front of the leaked Pepper? And specs more inline with a WP than a power hungry Android?
    Guess you missed this: http://www.wpcentral.com/sony-not-ma...cares-about-wp

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    If they plan on making a Win8 tablet/laptop, and I can't see how Sony wouldn't continue their VIAO series of products, you'd think doing a WP8 device would be a complimentary no brainer...
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    To be honest...I don't see why MS would have an issue with allowing Sony to push its WP handsets with PSN instead of XBL. First they let it happen with China-bound handsets (replacing XBL with some local network). Also, it doesn't seem as if the XBOX department is obliged to worry about the Windows Phone division. There are XBL titles on iOS, including the companion app no less. Why should the WP division even care about these other divisions when they don't fully care about WP?

If Sony wants to push a Windows Phone geared towards strengthening PlayStation in the living room, then go right ahead. Based on the number of friends I have with XBOX, I don't see the XBL crowd shrinking in the future anyways, and I doubt they'll buy a Sony WP if they wanted an XBOX WP device. If you want the XBOX crowd, then you need to make a direct XBOX branded phone - and above all, you need games on par/superior to Infinity Blade available on such devices.

Let Sony integrate its services deep into the WP system, e.g. a Sony Store section in the Marketplace, Qriocity app, PSN integration, etc. If they want to equip Windows 8 tablets with such features as well, then let them do it. At least you can entice the PlayStation crowd into Windows Phone/tablet family, that might help strengthen the front against Apple when they invade the Living Room. But as a matter of principle, do what you need to do to make Windows Phone succeed, it is NOT stopping XBL from doing the same with iOS, Lync on iOS, Photosynth and SkyDrive, etc.
    Last edited by bilzkh; 03-25-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    To be honest...I don't see why MS would have an issue with allowing Sony to push its WP handsets with PSN instead of XBL. First they let it happen with China-bound handsets (replacing XBL with some local network). Also, it doesn't seem as if the XBOX department is obliged to worry about the Windows Phone division. There are XBL titles on iOS, including the companion app no less. Why should the WP division even care about these other divisions when they don't fully care about WP?
    Nintendo has portable gaming on the 3DS. Sony has portable gaming on the Playstation Vita. The Windows Phone is all XBox has in terms of portable gaming. I don't see them giving that up. I can see Sony offering PSN in addition to XBL on the phone, but I can't see Microsoft ever agreeing to a Windows Phone without XBL. To the contrary, I expect XBL to get more serious and focused when Apollo lands.

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    Nintendo has portable gaming on the 3DS. Sony has portable gaming on the Playstation Vita. The Windows Phone is all XBox has in terms of portable gaming. I don't see them giving that up. I can see Sony offering PSN in addition to XBL on the phone, but I can't see Microsoft ever agreeing to a Windows Phone without XBL. To the contrary, I expect XBL to get more serious and focused when Apollo lands.
    On second thought, if Sony did come on board, I suppose their minimum condition would be that PSN/other Sony apps be made offerable to all WP (and Win8 tab) users.

Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    On second thought, if Sony did come on board, I suppose their minimum condition would be that PSN/other Sony apps be made offerable to all WP (and Win8 tab) users.
    Sony needs Microsoft a lot more than Microsoft needs Sony in terms of smartphones. I don't see Sony being in a position to make demands in this relationship.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This might happen. Sony is getting its a*se handed to it by HTC and Samsung in the phone market. They simply can't compete as well as they used to with feature phones where cybershot and walkman brands were used to excellent effect.

Windows Phone, in particular Windows Phone 8, will be a very inticing option for them to once again stand out from the other handsets. Sony, as a brand, still hold some weight and they need to do something different quickly or risk being an also-ran in the droid market.

As for PSN on WP. Generally I hold the assumption that any software that Sony puts out is rubbish. This goes back to the early days of Vaio, their Connect software for walkmans and how they somehow made Android even worse.

I remember holding out hope of a Sony handset (SE at the time) when WP launched. It never happened. Shame.

Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a Sony even if it was the only WP8 on Verizon. I've hated them ever since the rootkit scandal and they keep going more and more towards their own proprietary garbage. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. They used to have some of the best hardware but not anymore. Other electronics makers have caught up but Sony still thinks they can charge premium prices.

There's a reason that they've been absolutely bleeding money. The fact that they're even thinking about making a phone for Microsoft shows that they're desperate.

Global Posts
    2,599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Why not the Xperia 1 was a Windows Mobile phone.
    And a POS at that! Needed a magnifying glass to see text. Marginally better with the Energy ROM. Lasted all of 1 day before going on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterthegamer View Post
    The reason this rumor is completely false is that sony and microsoft are in DIRECT competition with the PS3 and xbox360. A good windows phone that ties into xbox live is not something sony want's to see. Not to mention sony already is making phones for android..
    So why does MS make Office for Mac? Why does Apple have iTunes and Safari for Windows? Hint: it has pictures of dead presidents on it.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    ^^yeah, lol. "Direct competition," and Sony still has a computer division that makes Windows laptops and desktops... !?

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a Sony even if it was the only WP8 on Verizon. I've hated them ever since the rootkit scandal and they keep going more and more towards their own proprietary garbage. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. They used to have some of the best hardware but not anymore. Other electronics makers have caught up but Sony still thinks they can charge premium prices.

There's a reason that they've been absolutely bleeding money. The fact that they're even thinking about making a phone for Microsoft shows that they're desperate.
    I sort of hate Sony for that too, but my friends don't seem to care at all. They're not willing to give up their PS3 games (whatever those PS3 exclusives are).

Anyway, you have to admit that Sony can make pretty good camera sensors, and not just for mobile (I own a Sony NEX-3). I also think that some of their phones designs look sort of nice, but overall, I think I'd still buy a Nokia this fall/winter. Nokia's committed to Windows Phone, they care about their customers, they know how to design, they make great camera sensors, their phones generally have excellent reception and call quality, superb build quality, and the list goes on.

Global Posts
    2,599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to discount an entire company. All it takes is one dumbass CEO with a Nero complex like Leo Apotheker to destroy a company as was the case with HP. I've always liked HP and Sony for their products, not their vision. Quality is quality in spite of the idiots running the boardroom. Give them a chance and let's see what shakes out, you're only hurting yourself by not getting the best product for your hard-earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to discount an entire company. All it takes is one dumbass CEO with a Nero complex like Leo Apotheker to destroy a company as was the case with HP. I've always liked HP and Sony for their products, not their vision. Quality is quality in spite of the idiots running the boardroom. Give them a chance and let's see what shakes out, you're only hurting yourself by not getting the best product for your hard-earned money.
    I will admit that I was a bit harsh. I've never actually owned a Sony phone so I can't speak to the quality of their phones. They're under new leadership now too so maybe things will change. I guess we'll see what happens.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Ultimately if WP8 succeeds then Sony will not want to miss out. They may even consider an early punt to test the market once Win8/WP8 are released. Stranger things have happened, would I consider a Sony? Yes, I suppose I would given the phone was extremely competitive.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express