Any new phones with slide out keyboards?

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I too am hoping someone will release a slider with Windows Phone 8 for AT&T by the time my contract is up next year. We've been very happy with our Quantums.

Scott

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling we may get a nice surprize when WP8 comes out. Ether news of a slider in the short future or a phone from Nokia and Samsung when WP8 comes out. Im am hoping so bad its not funny. They better be on the high end side, thats all I will say.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My boss is in the same boat as all of you... has a Galaxy S3 and mostly loves it but desperately wishes for a device with an actual keyboard.

I get the interest, although, with 4.3-4.7" screens I have nearly zero difficulty using an onscreen keyboard, and I turn on the vibrate or click options so I get some kind of feedback.

That said, I'm just going to ask for the sake of asking... are any of you considering sticking with a non-slider phone and getting a Surface (or other) tablet for those of you who need the keyboard for typing volumes of emails?

For my own situation, I'm probably leaning that direction. I spend 90% of my day in Outlook and OneNote, so I'm expecting to make the Surface my primary mobile device, and if I get Surface Pro, it would easily be my full-time system.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Probably not. For me the tablets are pretty much a toy. For real computing, I still like my big box Desktop PC. I use my smartphone for simple look ups and "Gee, I wonder about......." Stuff. I do 99% of my email and typing on a full QWERTY keyboard. My slider is for typing responses to SMS/MMS things and I really don't text that much. And, if I get divorced in the coming months, I'll probably be texting even less seeing as how most of mine are to my wife.

Now, I haven't used a really large screen smartphone since moving over from my Axim's but then I used a stylus or a BT keyboard for all my input then.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, this isn't new, but it is the good news/bad news kinda thing for those of us wanting a keyboard.

Qwerty keyboard wins the battle of the input methods – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

The good news is that Nokia sees it's fan base wanting real keyboards still. Seeing how Nokia is trying to find reasons to get their Symbian and feature phone faithful to get onboard with WP, you can bet that Nokia will come out with some devices. Absolutely be sure.

The bad news is: The U.S. market wants screens. HUGE screens. They want streaming media, games, and videos. They also want thinner devices to keep these huge screened devices more comfortable. That may mean any physical keyboard options will not be seeing the North American market just because the desire isn't there.

The Droid series on Verizon is still a decent seller, but does not fly off the shelf. There are always mid-range Androids on Big Red and on AT&T, but they are always vastly outsold by the all touch-screen competition. Case in point: My daughter has the Samsung Captivate Glide on AT&T, and I cruise the forums on it every once in a while just to see what is being talked about. Problem is, it ISN'T being talked about. No activity, no interest. Not a good sign for qwerty love.

The best hope we have is that the 4.3" side slider Motorola Photon Q on Sprint is a huge success. That may prove to Nokia, Samsung, or HTC that a physical keyboard done well can still sell. What I wouldn't do for a WP 8, portrait slider with a 4.0"-4.2" screen.....

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Sprint, QWERTY slider? WP8?

I hope like heck that it's true. :) If not, my Arrive is a good little soldier and it'll continue working just fine for me.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one a little pissed that, despite the poll NOKIA THEMSELVES PUT OUT that said people still want physical keyboards, nothing (to my knowledge) was mentioned about any such phones during the event today?

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one a little pissed that, despite the poll NOKIA THEMSELVES PUT OUT that said people still want physical keyboards, nothing (to my knowledge) was mentioned about any such phones during the event today?

Me to man! I'm with you. Did they say anything?? I bet you if we dont get first wave windows 8 phones with a keyboard, we will get one 3-4 months after windows phone 8 comes out. I'm still holding out and praying that Nokia will surprize us or my beloved Samsung comes threw. I love my dell VP but I need a side slider, this vertical keyboard dose not cut it at all :(. Otherwise my VP would of been perfect. Come on Samsung we are counting on you!

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd LOVE to see HTC come out with another generation of their Tilt model for WP8 but I haven't seen or heard anything that would suggest that would happen.

Sigh...

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm do you guys remember hearing the Acer or ASUS was going to come out with a slider?? I rememeber hearing something about that. I dont know if I would buy it but just throwing it out.

Also Samsung has basicly givin us there best android smart phone and coverted it to a windows phone, makes me wounder if they will do the same with one of there high end sliders. I just got this feeling that Samsung and nokia are both going to pull threw for us soon. When the time dose come and we hear something, wait a little bit and see what the other company is going to throw out. Samsung and Nokia, Im almost willing to bet its going to be one of them.

I asked both companys to do this, then they say ask the phone company, then the phone company seys ask windows phone..... You ever get the feeling like your getting the run around on anuther note? -_-

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Stop Im going to cry lol. Nokia's phone looked amazing, imagen if it was all black! Are you sure they canceled it?? Well Im waiting until someone comes out with a side slider. I wish dell would come threw and me aunther venue pro, mine is so amazing, never had 1 problem with it. It would be perfect if it had a landscape keyboard insted of a vertical one. Im not losing hope we will get our phone, probily just not a WP8 lunch :(.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The new Intel SoC chips

Will allow some crazy things to be possible in 2013 and 2014. Here is a paragraph from aZDnet article

In some ways Intel?s lead isn?t quite as big as it seems. ARM CEO Warren East told EE Times last week that the real competition isn?t Intel?s PC processor, but rather its Atom SoC (System on Chip), which is still based on an older 32nm process with standard planar transistors. That?s true, but Intel has announced plans to speed up SoC development. It plans to release a 22nm version next year followed by 14nm in 2014, perhaps with its Infineon baseband technology integrated on the same chip. Intel is making a little progress in smartphones, with models from Lenovo, Orange and Lava available in some markets, but if it can execute on this plan by 2014 it should be a much stronger competitor in smartphones and other mobile devices.

The whole article here
The race is on to catch up with Intel | ZDNet

Then we will have not win phone 8 but win8 on phone sized devices with good battery life.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Common Samsung, come threw for us. Might be there only way to go head to head with Nokia is if they try and apeel to other groups, namely us keyboard lovers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)