Any new phones with slide out keyboards?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
No new phones revealed yesterday. I'm wondering if I should get a new battery for my Quantum.

My original Quantum died a few months ago, bought a second on eBay for 80 bucks. I might just hang onto this one until the end, and if 1) there is no slider in the next year and 2) the marketplace isn't cohesive, I'm going to dump Windows Phone. I just will NEVER pay for an app twice for two different Windows 8 based devices.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It would appear that the market and supply/demand would say that there is insufficient demand to create a supply of sliders for WP & or 8.

There are plenty of phones with landscape sliding keyboards - just not WP. The problem might be the OS not fully supporting landscape mode. I'm still hopeful. You may be right, though. The current trend of form over function might be the reason. A phone being thin is more important than being able to type more legibly, apparently for the masses.

Then again, we all thought the stylus (which I dearly miss) was dead and now look at the success of the Samsung Note line.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And webOS refugees like myself. It'll be a cold day before I let go of my DVP.

I'm another one of those, still using my original Pre (on Sprint) bought opening day in June, '09. But, to put it mildly, it ain't working so good these days. It's not a money issue for me -- I'm long since eligible for an upgrade. I've just been waiting for something I really wanted, and I was sorry when HP threw in the towel.

I tried a Verizon Droid 4 for a couple of weeks and loved the keyboard, but didn't like much else about the phone. Personally, I like WebOS a lot more than Android, but maybe it's just a question of what I'm used to. The wife and kids all have iPhones, and I've learned enough about that system to provide tech support to my wife -- but I don't like it well enough to want one. And I can always hope that down the line someone makes a phone with a physical keyboard that I really like.

I've finally decided that WP8 is my best hope in a phone OS, and I'm reluctantly giving up on a physical keyboard by getting the Lumia 822. I was on the bleeding edge when the Pre and WebOS got off to a rocky start, and I'm expecting to be there again with WP8. But I'm hoping long run it'll be a good experience.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 620. Fail. Someone throw us a freaking bone here!

What does 190 euros Lumia 620 have to do with this thread?

Anyways, i doubt Windows Phone 8 is in anyway optimized for hw qwerty with the missing landscape modes and i doubt MS got hw qwerty optimization too high on their lists as they work through the bugs on WP8. I mean it's hard to find okish high or mid end Android phone with hw keyboard these days as they simply don't sell.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I really love my 7 Pro (Arrive) and hope to see some WP8 sliders come as well... Never had a touch-only device and hopefully will never have...

Sadly I know that there are not many thinking as we do...

Do you remember the concept ideas from MS dealing with a slider which could take different "layers" of input devices on the sliding part itself. There was the gamepad version, the QWERTY version and some kinde of a second touch-display version... Don't know why, but I think something like that could work out for Nokia, HTC and so on... They could produce a phone, which has the ability to get some kind of different, well integrated, covers... some would get the keyboard and others maybe the gamepad thing or whatever...

I sure do hope to see something nice coming out the next months... Or I will use my Arrive as long as it works and buy another one, after the first breaks... :)

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you remember the concept ideas from MS dealing with a slider which could take different "layers" of input devices on the sliding part itself. There was the gamepad version, the QWERTY version and some kinde of a second touch-display version... Don't know why, but I think something like that could work out for Nokia, HTC and so on... They could produce a phone, which has the ability to get some kind of different, well integrated, covers... some would get the keyboard and others maybe the gamepad thing or whatever...

I've never seen that, but love the idea. I went on to Crackberry.com to see what BB might have in store, but they only seem to want the portrait sliders like the Dell Venue Pro. I don't like those. Heck, maybe I'll go back to feature phones and cancel my data plan. I will not part with my keyboard!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb