Any new phones with slide out keyboards?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm a proud and satisfied Quantum owner, but looking to the future I'm concerned because I haven't seen or heard any info about any upcoming models that may have slide-out keyboards (or any keyboards for that matter).

Have I missed any news or confirmation as to if there will (or won't) be any keyboard phones in the future or is it still up in the air?

A Social Reject

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As of now no devices are rumoured to be coming out, yet alone QWERTY sliders. I guess we just have to hope Nokia do one as I can't see another one from HTC and Dell & LG have left Windows Phone.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Sliders are still being made for other platforms so I am hopeful. I imagine you'll be holding on to that Quantum until at least September, but who knows? I was surprised to see a new WP7.5 handset coming out on May 20. I had assumed that we wouldn't see any new devices at all until September, so that just goes to show you that we can't always predict the future!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of any, they are becoming less and less popular. That said, I would be surprised if we did not see more Windows Phones with keyboards in the future. It's a form factor that people still want, especially business users, and it would be the perfect way to attract BlackBerry refugees.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of any, they are becoming less and less popular. That said, I would be surprised if we did not see more Windows Phones with keyboards in the future. It's a form factor that people still want, especially business users, and it would be the perfect way to attract BlackBerry refugees.
And webOS refugees like myself. It'll be a cold day before I let go of my DVP.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I've seen is this rumor from MS_Nerd

And another neat #rumor: Nokia is apparently making landscape-QWERTY slider with 4 inch WVGA screen for Sprint as well, also on the MSM8960.

source

I too am semi-impatiently waiting for an announcement of a slider device, but the Quantum is still kicking and doing everything I want it to.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
fellow webos convert over here and I hunted for a dvp for quite a while. Tried a few WP, am using a Nokia 900 now, god how I miss tactile response. Sure I can text a SMS faster (maybe) then on my webos devices, but I can't comfortablely compose email after email like I used to, I used my webos devices so much more than my wp7. i still switch my sim to my veer regularly, just easier to get stuff done, buy I will say my PC has been used daily since I go into WP, made me really appreciate having a PC. Touchpad gets used way more on the go when im rocking the 900 though.

I would kill for a dvp/ pre3 style/ sized device for wp8. I would be 1st in line and go to whatever carrier I need to.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
also, my text was much more coherent when I had tactile response and don't have to constantly go back and proof read... Whatever, I now type like every ios user....... I blame you manufactures

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just hope my provider keeps getting slider phones in WP. If not, it may be one more reason to switch over to Droid. I have large hands and the dainty keys on even the larger screens in landscape don't really bode well with me. I can almost, nearly, barley use it on my Arrive but I can do things with the slide out keyboard that the onscreen keyboard just can't do as easily. Maybe it's because I'm 41 and grew up still using the old manual typewriters

With my old PDA's, I had a stylus I could use to enter the keyboard or write with. Now that nearly everything is touch, I can't use it as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I just hope my provider keeps getting slider phones in WP. If not, it may be one more reason to switch over to Droid. I have large hands and the dainty keys on even the larger screens in landscape don't really bode well with me. I can almost, nearly, barley use it on my Arrive but I can do things with the slide out keyboard that the onscreen keyboard just can't do as easily. Maybe it's because I'm 41 and grew up still using the old manual typewriters

With my old PDA's, I had a stylus I could use to enter the keyboard or write with. Now that nearly everything is touch, I can't use it as well.
Trust me, Droids are not better for keyboards - slide out or portrait. The Droid Pro has a BB-style keyboard but it's not user-friendly at all. If you're like me (I'm on the opposite side of 41) you probably like tactile feel on a physical keyboard. I grew up typing school reports on an old Underwood back in the 70's so I know what you're talking about. In that vain, the LG Quantum has the best feedback of any phone I've used on any OS. My current phone, the Dell Venue Pro, has a decent keyboard and decent feedback. The DVP simply has a killer screen compared to the LG. Apollo is right around the corner so let's see what it brings.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I too am a Sprint user, have been for many, many years. Started as a Nextel and got moved over a few years ago. Like FC_98, I used my fathers Underwood "portable" typewriter to type reports on until I was about 12. That all metal "portable" had to weigh at least 10 lbs and came with a heavy wood case to carry it with. I didn't get to use a Selectric until I took a typing class in 9th grade but was using my C=64 when I was 12ish.

For me, it's big hands. I wear an XL glove and a size 9 surgical glove. Typical size is 7-71/2 for most people. I can easily palm a Basketball without trouble. My fingers/thumbs were not designed for the newer tech and even with auto-correct, the on screen keyboard is a cluster to use for me. When I was using my iPAQS and Axims, I really got good at writing with the stylus and bought many Stylus combo pens over the years.

Unfortunately for me, I need the keyboard.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsung, Nokia, this post is pointed tawreds you two mainly, so when Apollo come out please have some side slider keyboard phones for all of us, not just one lucky phone comany, but atleast all 4 mayjor US phone companys, AT&T, verizon, sprint, T-moble. We are counting on you. I been b-tching and b-tching for months trying to get your attention, make a driod tyip phone like for windows phone, please, with suger on top.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung, Nokia, this post is pointed tawreds you two mainly, so when Apollo come out please have some side slider keyboard phones for all of us, not just one lucky phone comany, but atleast all 4 mayjor US phone companys, AT&T, verizon, sprint, T-moble. We are counting on you. I been b-tching and b-tching for months trying to get your attention, make a driod tyip phone like for windows phone, please, with suger on top.

The thing is that usually the carriers ask the manufacturers to make a certain type of device, not the other way around.

Now of course, they could just make an unlocked device for the US GSM carriers, but those usually never sell well because Americans are used to going to their carrier for subsidized devices.

As for the CDMA carriers, they won't activate devices that aren't branded for their network.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Rumors are Nokia is producing a slider for Sprint. All indications point to a midrange, subpar HTC Arriveish clone device. This is disappointing to me as a Sprint customer. I want AMOLED, not WVGA. Hopefully it will have an 8-12mp camera, but even that maybe wishful thinking.

WP8 rumors: 12 MP Nokia PureView for Verizon, QWERTY slider for Sprint, Lenovo and Asus phones too ? Unwired View

It's interesting that AT&T and T-Mobile will get no Nokia's. It's also interesting that Lenovo & ASUS will have WP8 but I've heard absolutely nothing about them. :straight:

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the only reason I still use a blackberry. I need a physical keyboard since I write a lot of emails throughout the day. I, as well as other business owners who use blackberry will be looking for a Windows 8 Phone with physical keyboard. I hope one is released this year. If not, then I will be forced to wait for Blackberry 10.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I would like to note that landscape keyboards in my opinion are alot better then vertical ones. Just in case any phone ompanys are looking at this. Phones like the droid 4. We need a phone like that for Windows phone 8, a high end side slider. My dream phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb